Snapshot restraint - edit, edit, edit

Old May 6th 05, 09:59 AM
Patrick

Yeah, when I'm out with my digital camera, it's 'when in doubt, shoot',
but when I'm out with my Fuji MF rangefinder, its' 'when I'm certain,
shoot'.

Nothing in digital beats the excitement of an MF trannie on a light table.

Still, it's digital for my bread and butter, medium format for personal
enjoyment.

Patrick

Old May 6th 05, 02:04 PM
Matt Silberstein

On Fri, 06 May 2005 00:13:19 -0500, in rec.photo.digital , Ron Hunter
in wrote:

[snip]

I have seen pictures in B/W that I considered 'art', but I greatly
prefer color!

This last weekend we were at an event in a hotel. For some reason this
hotel has some large Avadon prints from _A Portfolio of Portraits_
displayed. I was so humbled. Such simple photos: just a straight on
shot of a (usually) well known face. Nothing fancy, but so powerful,
so dramatic. Yeah, B/W can do wonders.

--
Matt Silberstein

Old May 6th 05, 02:09 PM
Matt Silberstein

On Fri, 06 May 2005 05:31:30 GMT, in rec.photo.digital , "Mr. Mark"
in
wrote:

Yeah, when I'm out with my digital camera, it's 'when in doubt, shoot',
but when I'm out with my Fuji MF rangefinder, its' 'when I'm certain,
shoot'.

Yeah, I have noticed the difference in quite a dramatic way recently. I'm
down to about 3 rolls of film in a day (1 or 2 color, 1 or 2 B&W). When I
shoot digital it's often 300 to 400 photos a day. It makes digging through
them a major pain in the butt. Also I see that my good to bad photo ratio
is much better with film. Forcing me to use my mind more I suppose.

I have heard the argument seriously made regarding coding tools. When
you have to wait hours for a compile you make very sure your code is
right. When you can compile after each change, you do scores a session
and don't bother to think as deeply. I suspect that one method works
for some and not others. I find that I get more good pictures when I
am willing to shoot frequently, but I spend much more time shooting
and less time enjoying.

--
Matt Silberstein

Old May 6th 05, 03:47 PM
Ben Rosengart

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]
On Fri, 6 May 2005 03:59:10 -0500, Patrick wrote:

Nothing in digital beats the excitement of an MF trannie on a light table.

*blink*

Your kink is not my -- oh wait, I get it.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall
Old May 6th 05, 05:50 PM
Mr. Mark

I have heard the argument seriously made regarding coding tools. When
you have to wait hours for a compile you make very sure your code is
right. When you can compile after each change, you do scores a session
and don't bother to think as deeply.

In the second case you tend to let the compiler find your errors. After a
few years your brain turns to complete mush. In the good ol' days I could
start the compile, walk over the to coffee machine and fill my cup, walk
down the hall and take the elevator 9 floors, walk outside, have 2
cigarettes, and back track to my office. If there was an error in my code I
could repeat. Frankly the incentive was to leave broken code so more cigs
and coffee could be consumed.

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com

Corporate
http://www.onelauter.com

Old May 6th 05, 08:00 PM
Alan Browne

Mr. Mark wrote:

could repeat. Frankly the incentive was to leave broken code so more cigs
and coffee could be consumed.

We had a product that went from a legacy machine to an upgraded similar
architecture. This improved assemble+link time from over 1 hour to 15
minutes. Then that line of hp minis went "Y2K non-compliant", so we had
an engineer write a x-asssembler on PC. 70,000 lines assembled and
linked in 10 seconds.

No fun anymore. Used to stir coffee by putting it on top of the mini
and letting the disk drives shake and mix it...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 7th 05, 05:18 AM
Randy Berbaum

Mr. Mark wrote:

: Yeah, I have noticed the difference in quite a dramatic way recently. I'm
: down to about 3 rolls of film in a day (1 or 2 color, 1 or 2 B&W). When I
: shoot digital it's often 300 to 400 photos a day. It makes digging through
: them a major pain in the butt. Also I see that my good to bad photo ratio
: is much better with film. Forcing me to use my mind more I suppose.

I find that I do take more photos in digi than on film. But I also get
many more "good" photos because of this. I used to miss many photos
because I had that internal debate of "is this worth the cost of the film,
processing, printing just to see if it might turn out". Now with digital,
I don't have that debate. If there is something that catches my eye I
shoot it. If the on camera review shows it is useless, it is immediately
deleted. If a review later on my computer shows it just didn't work,
delete. But due to being more willing to take chances on a maybe I end up
with more good images that I would not have attempted before.

One other concideration. I rarely shoot in multiples of 12 (24, 36, etc)
and so I was always trying to finish off a roll or trying to decide if it
is worth loading a new roll for one more shot. But with digital I can
shoot 1 or 100 shots with equal ease. No more finishing off a roll.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Old May 7th 05, 03:05 PM
Musty

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/05/fa.../05photos.html

May 5, 2005
Stop Them Before They Shoot Again
By AMY HARMON

THE baby pictures just kept coming. At least once a month Suzanne Weber
opened her e-mail to find the same friend had sent a link to as many as
50 pictures, often including multiple shots of the same child at the
same moment at slightly different angles. Finally Ms. Weber, who enjoys
the occasional digital baby snapshot as much as anyone, stopped
responding, and the friend, taking the hint, stopped sending.

Not everyone is doing this ofcourse. My "exposure" to photography started in
the digital form. From my last overseas trip, I shared 14 shots from a 3
week period (and I was shooting daily). I think that people will begin to
slow down (even those that dont take the time to learn how to shoot through
books and/or classes). If people went and learned the basics of exposure and
composition, they would take less shots, think about their shots and take
better shots ofcourse. The best thing we can do is proliferate the idea of
quality vs quantity (for example, I will often point people to read a book
or a web-site).

Old May 7th 05, 06:08 PM
Frank ess

Musty wrote:
[...]

On the other hand, if you have recorded a unique experience there may
be details in some of the photos that are of considerable importance
to one group or another or individual enthusiasts, fans, scientists,
or hobbyists. What would have happened to many of the pictures in this
bunch, if the photographer had saved just those of interest to him (as
a Panavision crewman)? Very rare candid views of John Frankenheimer
and Maurice Jarré, among who-knows-what-others, lost for eternity ...
http://www.fototime.com/inv/40F6A2D528600E0

--
Frank S

"Never give a sucker an even break, or smarten-up a chump."
—William Claude Dukenfeld

Old May 8th 05, 03:35 AM
Ron Hunter

Musty wrote:
[...]

There is certainly nothing wrong with thinking about a shot before
taking it, but if that means and opportunity is lost, it doesn't improve
the art. Face it, a lot of times a good shot is being in the right
place as the right time. I have taken half an hour to set up a shot
(nearly drove my brother crazy), and have taken 50 or so in 5 minutes.
It all depends on the circumstances, and the intentions.

--
Ron Hunter