Elements 3 v. Elements 2

Old November 25th 04, 08:49 AM
Colin D

Default Elements 3 v. Elements 2

Elements 2 came with my 300D, and it isn't too different from Photoshop
6. I bought a copy of Elements 3 today, after reviews saying how
advanced it is over 2. But the appearance and interface is so
completely different that I found it initially very difficult to use,
and I have to say I don't like it at all. Sure, it has the healing
brush - but you can't select from where the brush picks up the image
segment to place over any lesion in the image, unlike the clone tool
where you can select the exact spot. Apart from that, I can't see any
advantage, and navigating around the program is more complicated than 2
ever was.

I'd be interested in other views and conclusions. If you have Elements
3, how do you like it?

Colin.

Old November 25th 04, 09:16 AM
Robert Klemme

"Colin D" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Elements 2 came with my 300D, and it isn't too different from Photoshop
6. I bought a copy of Elements 3 today, after reviews saying how
advanced it is over 2. But the appearance and interface is so
completely different that I found it initially very difficult to use,
and I have to say I don't like it at all. Sure, it has the healing
brush - but you can't select from where the brush picks up the image
segment to place over any lesion in the image, unlike the clone tool
where you can select the exact spot. Apart from that, I can't see any
advantage, and navigating around the program is more complicated than 2
ever was.

I'd be interested in other views and conclusions. If you have Elements
3, how do you like it?

I never had PSE2, just other image manipulation software. I have to say
that I'm very pleased with the feature set of PSE3 and usability in
general. Up to now there were only few things that I didn't find quickly.

Kind regards

robert

Old November 25th 04, 10:02 AM
Ron Hunter

Colin D wrote:
Elements 2 came with my 300D, and it isn't too different from Photoshop
6. I bought a copy of Elements 3 today, after reviews saying how
advanced it is over 2. But the appearance and interface is so
completely different that I found it initially very difficult to use,
and I have to say I don't like it at all. Sure, it has the healing
brush - but you can't select from where the brush picks up the image
segment to place over any lesion in the image, unlike the clone tool
where you can select the exact spot. Apart from that, I can't see any
advantage, and navigating around the program is more complicated than 2
ever was.

I'd be interested in other views and conclusions. If you have Elements
3, how do you like it?

Colin.

Colin,
I think you need to spend a bit more time with PSE3. Initially, the
new interface seems to be more in the way than a benefit, but you will
find that it is useful if you will spend the time to make friends with
it. The more I use it, the better I like it. The action of the healing
brush is not at all like the clone tool, which is still available for
those things it does better. I find the ability to scan several
pictures at once and have them straightened and written to individual
files automatically well worth the update price, for this feature alone.
I am still trying to learn to use the organizer functions productively.

Old November 25th 04, 01:42 PM
Conrad Weiler

Hi Colin,

I'd be interested in other views and conclusions. If you have Elements
3, how do you like it?

I have PSE 2, 3. and PS8 (CS). Use the latter two nowadays.

PSE3 also has the Shadows and Highlights adjustment, Bicubic sharpening, the
Healing brush, Filter gallery, Cookie cutter and things I'm still finding. It
doesn't have Actions or Curves.

For the money -- PSE3 lists for $90 vs $649 for PS8 -- it's a real bargain and
very powerful editing program.

Best,

Conrad

Conrad Weiler
Camp Sherman, Oregon

Old November 25th 04, 02:01 PM
Malcolm Stewart

"Colin D" wrote in message
Elements 2 came with my 300D, and it isn't too different from Photoshop
6. I bought a copy of Elements 3 today, after reviews saying how
advanced it is over 2.

Where is "Curves" in PSE2 ? (I found it better than "Levels" for some
images.) It's in PS6 (Ctrl +M) and so far I haven't found it in my copy of
PSE2.

Thanks

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Old November 25th 04, 03:54 PM
Charles Eaves

I have elements 3 and it is a keeper.
I used to run elements 2/photoshop album 2 together so basically I am used
th the elements 3 setup.
It is a little different from the earlier versions but so far I really like
the program.
Yes, there is a learning curve but the benefits are worth it.
I do alot with digital images and this program suits me.
I really don't need photoshop as elements does about everything I need it to
do.