What films are these?

Old December 27th 04, 10:26 AM
sreenath

Default What films are these?

Hi All,

I came across these films recently. The seller told me they are for
"graphic arts". But the package did not look like that of Lith films.
Here are the details:

1. 16" by 197 feet
Alliance recording HN
Red sensitive film
Daylight loading. 600BD

2. Same as above, but 6" by 150 feet
375FK
EI-oct26,6

3. IRP
3Z5MW
13'5" by 150 feet.

Will this be useful for view cameras?
These films are near their expiry date.
thanks for any information,
Sreenath

Old December 28th 04, 11:02 PM
John

On 27 Dec 2004 02:26:48 -0800, "sreenath"
wrote:

Hi All,

I came across these films recently. The seller told me they are for
"graphic arts". But the package did not look like that of Lith films.
Here are the details:

1. 16" by 197 feet
Alliance recording HN
Red sensitive film
Daylight loading. 600BD

2. Same as above, but 6" by 150 feet
375FK
EI-oct26,6

3. IRP
3Z5MW
13'5" by 150 feet.

Will this be useful for view cameras?
These films are near their expiry date.
thanks for any information,
Sreenath

"Alliance HN, HN7, HNm and HN7m are extended red-sensitive
films for Helium-Neon recorders."

I don't think they would be very usefull.

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.puresilver.org
Please remove the "_" when replying via email

Old December 30th 04, 05:57 PM
Mike King

Not sure but "red sensitive" provides a clue. I think these are RA type
graphic arts films for image recording by a laser beam. Used for making
halftones. (RA being a type of high contrast graphic arts developer in this
case not RA-4 color print developer) RA was used in a lot of roller
transport processors since it has a much longer tray life than lith
developers. Be fun to play with but assume very slow speed and you may need
a "POTA" type developer. I wouldn't pay much for them.

--
darkroommike

----------
oups.com...

Old December 30th 04, 06:34 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Mike King" wrote
"sreenath" wrote in message
I came across these films recently. The seller told me they are for
"graphic arts". But the package did not look like that of Lith films.
Here are the details:
Alliance recording HN
Red sensitive film
Daylight loading. 600BD

Not sure but "red sensitive" provides a clue. I think these are RA type
graphic arts films for image recording by a laser beam.

Agfa Aliance - HN: High-contrast, red-sensitive film
on a polyester [base. For use in] imagesetters using HN laser
or red laser diodes (630 nm to 670 nm). Process: Rapid access.

Will this be useful for view cameras?

You tell us. What are you taking pictures of?

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com
Old December 31st 04, 06:15 AM
sreenath

Well, I was thinking about buying this film to see if it can be used
instead of redular b/w film. I read some posts in newsgroups about
people using Kodak recording film. I thought these two might be
similar.

It apears this is quite different from the recording film. I don't have
a view camera. Me buying a used view camera depends on whether I can
get film or not. I can't get regular sheet film here in India, at least
not off the shelf.

I will post the results, if at all encouraging, after testing this
film.
The suggested safe light is dark green. So this might be sensitive to
all colours, even to green to some extent.

thanks for all responses,
Sreenath