Does anyone here have a SX10?

Old December 24th 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Default Does anyone here have a SX10?

TheRealSteve wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
TheRealSteve wrote:
Stephen Henning wrote:
wrote:

I am planning to buy a new digital camera this week but wanted to see
what current owners had to say about the Canon SX10...
Don't have one. But I have 2 SX-70's. One, the original brushed
metal and the other, a white Model 2. I have no idea what I'm going
to do with them though. At least they don't take up much space.

That's a groovy old Polaroid, I had lots of fun with one when I was a
kid. I just checked recent sales on ebay and one sold for $200 though
most for around $30 and a package of 100 pieces of film sold for $456 !

Is that 100 pieces or 100 packs? If it was 100 packs, that's quite a
deal. 100 pieces? Forget it.

Collector's film. Keep it in your freezer with Elvis' sperm. :-)

"Up for auction are 10 packs (100 photos total) of Polaroid SX-70 / time
zero film. This film expired in OCT 2006, which makes it some of the
last SX-70 film Polaroid made before discontinuing it. It has been
stored in the fridge.

Since it is expired, I am selling it as is. I tested a pack from the
same batch, and the pictures still look great.

This is a great chance to buy some rare film."

I have a few older Polaroids I don't use anymore so the SX-70's can
join the collection. A Model 135 that was my parent's, a Colorpak II
that I used as a kid, and a really old one that was my grandfather's
but I'd have to dig it out to look at the model number. It uses roll
film.

The interesting thing is they are all basically medium format cameras.

Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net
www.baynatives.com

Old December 24th 08, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
TheRealSteve

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 17:10:41 -0800, Paul Furman
wrote:

TheRealSteve wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
TheRealSteve wrote:
Stephen Henning wrote:
wrote:

[...]

You can stil get the 600 film, which is usable with a filter, for way
less. The Time Zero film is outragous. I can think of better things
to do with my money than spend $4.56 per shot for expired film.

I don't mind adding all the polaroids to the box of cameras I have
that I'll never use again. A Canon EOS Rebel (original Andre Agassi
advertised model), a Kodak pocket instamatic 10 with a flash cube
extender, an old Minox that I still have an 8x11mm cartridge for with
film that's probably 40 years expired, an old Kodak Duaflex IV 620
twin lens reflex box camera, a Brownie box camera...

These have more value to me than I could ever get by selling them
because they're cameras of my childhood and my parents and
grandparents But they'll all never take another picture. Which for
most of them isn't such a bad thing.

I have a few older Polaroids I don't use anymore so the SX-70's can
join the collection. A Model 135 that was my parent's, a Colorpak II
that I used as a kid, and a really old one that was my grandfather's
but I'd have to dig it out to look at the model number. It uses roll
film.

The interesting thing is they are all basically medium format cameras.

True. Which just goes to show that saying a camera is "medium format"
doesn't necessarily mean it takes great pictures.

Steve
Old December 24th 08, 03:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

wrote:

TheRealSteve wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
TheRealSteve wrote:
Stephen Henning wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I gave my old dead Canon AE1 to a 10 year old autistic boy that I work
with, he's very enthusiastic about photography and has a good eye, his
dad studied cinematography so he's being groomed... I had second
thoughts, thinking he probably doesn't even play with it but when I
asked he said 'no, don't take it back, I want it' grin. I showed him
how to open the film door & dismount the lens... it's very cool looking
with a big bright viewfinder where you can really see the DOF effects.
The foam seals on the mirror are toast, battery dead, lens mount
wobbly... I have a photo of the camera on my web site and it has somehow
attracted comments from a series of 13 year old girls who really want a
cool camera like that g. Maybe you've got a grandkid or something who
could enjoy them.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old December 24th 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
TheRealSteve

wrote:

TheRealSteve wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
TheRealSteve wrote:
Stephen Henning wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Actually, I used to have a Canon AE1 Program and a Minolta SRT-101
that I gave away. I got my first digital camera about 8 years ago and
second one 5 years ago. After I got the 2nd one, I realized I'd
probably never use a film camera again so I gave away those two
cameras to friends. The AE1 was in poor shape, might not even have
worked. The Minolta was still useable. But 5 years ago, film was
still in widespread use. I don't think I'd be able to give them away
today and have someone actually appreciate what they can do.

Steve
Old December 31st 08, 09:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 09:33:46 -0800 (PST), RiverMan wrote:

Thanks to everyone for your response! I never thought that question
would generate that much interest. I finally settled on the SX10 and
am now the proud owner! Bought it at Best Buy for $359.00 plus another
$15 for a 4Gb card.

So far I am quite happy... this camera seems very complex after using
a Kodak EasyShare but the pictures and phenomenal! I am trying to
study my manual a few pages at a time and making some progress. This
camera is not that user friendly and you really have to have the
manual nearby.

Congratulations, it's a very nice camera. The first comparable
camera I bought (Fuji's S5100 in 2004) was similarly complex.
Unlike the Canon Powershot S1 & S2 I bought several years earlier,
it took a while before I could get it to do what I knew it was
capable of doing unless I had a manual nearby. Practice and
re-reading make perfect, and those that don't, soon hear "RTFM!"

One thing I either have not figured out or is a flaw in the camera
(probably me) is when trying to shoot video in lower light I found the
focus goes in and out over and over. I will have to do some more
research I suppose

A quick look in the PDF manual turned up something on page 90,
explaining how to get AF lock before or while shooting movies by
pressing the MF button. You can also use the [+/-] button to get AE
lock. Most P&S cameras hunt in dim light or when they can't find
anything with sufficient contrast or sharply defined vertical or
horizontal edges. If you want to take a picture that has a lot of
fur, hair or smoke, try focusing on something else that's close and
about the same distance from the camera. DSLRs focus much more
quickly and accurately in dim light because they don't use the
contrast detection method used by P&S cameras, but even they'll hunt
a bit depending on the light, the subject and the lens used.

There's also a comment on page 92 that indicates that while
shooting movies you can simultaneously (sort of) take still pictures
by half-pressing the shutter button to focus and then you press
fully to take the picture. Perhaps the half-press might help deal
with the focus hunting? And if you don't actually take the still
shot you probably won't see a short interruption in the movie that
usually comes with taking stills. Can't guarantee that this will
work, but it's worth a try.

I just discovered something interesting on page 190. Sound only
recording is possible for up to two hours at a time, with space for
up to just over 50 hours on an 8GB card. That's much better than
the max. 4 hours of audio that would fit on the same card using
320x240 movie mode. For long recordings you'd probably want to get
Canon's Power Adapter or a similar one from Radio Shack.

Anyways... Thanks for the help!

-=] RiverMan [=-

You can see some examples of my sx10 picture's at:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...albumId=455347
and
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...lbumId=2144775

The SX10 shots are the last pics on those two pages. are marked as
such and were taken in Auto mode.

You're welcome. Nice pictures, both pre and post SX10. I'll bet
they induce more smiles than the pix most other people put online.
A happy new year to you, Sneaky and your other pals!

Old January 2nd 09, 03:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
GregS[_3_]

In article , RiverMan wrote:
[...]

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ture&friendID=
43996487&albumId=455347
and
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ture&friendID=
43996487&albumId=2144775

The SX10 shots are the last pics on those two pages. are marked as
such and were taken in Auto mode.

I got the Fuji S2000HD for $233 at Best Buy and am really pleased with it. I bought it
just before Christmas, and got some family shots and HD and regular movies.
I would think its definately a best buy.

greg