Converting DNG to RAW

Old September 10th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_3_]

Default Converting DNG to RAW

Is it possible?
--

Alfred Molon
Old September 10th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
just bob

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
Is it possible?
--

I know from my experience with converting CR2 files to DNG, if you chose to
imbed the original raw file within the DNG when you converted it then yes,

Otherwise.... not that I know of.

Old September 10th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 19:01:50 +0200, Alfred Molon wrote:

Is it possible?

DNG is RAW.

Old September 10th 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
just bob

"ray" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 19:01:50 +0200, Alfred Molon wrote:

Is it possible?

DNG is RAW.

If you were to convert say a CR2 to DNG and did not imbed, then Canon's DPP
will not read that RAW file. I'd bet that is what he is talking about.

Old September 11th 07, 06:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_3_]

In article , ray says...

DNG is RAW.

No. I mean the original format. Can you go back?
--

Alfred Molon
Old September 11th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 07:54:09 +0200, Alfred Molon wrote:

In article , ray says...

DNG is RAW.

No. I mean the original format. Can you go back?

Maybe yes, maybe no; what's the original format?

Old September 11th 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_3_]

In article , ray says...

Maybe yes, maybe no; what's the original format?

ORF, NEF, CRW whatever. Since all information (apparently) is contained
in the DNG, it should be possible to convert back to RAW.
--

Alfred Molon
Old September 11th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , ray says...

DNG is RAW.

No. I mean the original format. Can you go back?

Only if you embedd it. If you convert to DNG and don't embedd, why would you
want to go back? The reason for doing this in the first place indicates you
would not want to do this.

Long answer is that most vendors embedd private data in RAW files that can't
be carried over to the DNG (Nikon "encypts" white balance information for
instance), so it is not possible to legitimately do so.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from the
machinations of the wicked.

Old September 11th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , ray says...

Maybe yes, maybe no; what's the original format?

ORF, NEF, CRW whatever. Since all information (apparently) is contained
in the DNG, it should be possible to convert back to RAW.

Not all the metadata information is in the DNG. Nikon, for instance, encrypts
white balance information in the NEF that is not accessible to the DNG.