Pocket camera

Old March 27th 13, 06:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MaxD

Default Pocket camera

I'm looking for a subcompact camera, a pocket camera.
I don't intend to "create memorable images" or take portraits, just want
something I can "whip" out of the pocket and take a snapshot.
Preferably not over $250. I had a Canon Powershot SD 780 that served me
well but I dropped it...disastrously. :-(
*small* is the key word here.
Any recommendations?
Old March 27th 13, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-03-27 10:06:09 -0700, MaxD said:

I'm looking for a subcompact camera, a pocket camera.
I don't intend to "create memorable images" or take portraits, just
want something I can "whip" out of the pocket and take a snapshot.
Preferably not over $250. I had a Canon Powershot SD 780 that served me
well but I dropped it...disastrously. :-(
*small* is the key word here.
Any recommendations?

Well if you want truly small, pocketable, and inexpensive, take a look
at the Nikon CoolPix S01. This thing is tiny and has an MSRP of $179.95.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pro...OLPIX-S01.html

Savageduck

Old March 27th 13, 08:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike S.

In article om,
MaxD wrote:
I'm looking for a subcompact camera, a pocket camera.
I don't intend to "create memorable images" or take portraits, just want
something I can "whip" out of the pocket and take a snapshot.
Preferably not over $250. I had a Canon Powershot SD 780 that served me
well but I dropped it...disastrously. :-(
*small* is the key word here.

Pity. You just missed Amazon's closeout of the PowerShot S100 for $249. I
was about to recommend it when I went to double check, and it is now sold
by a third-party dealer for **much** more.

Old March 27th 13, 08:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray carter

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 11:06:09 -0600, MaxD wrote:

I'm looking for a subcompact camera, a pocket camera.
I don't intend to "create memorable images" or take portraits, just want
something I can "whip" out of the pocket and take a snapshot. Preferably
not over $250. I had a Canon Powershot SD 780 that served me well but I
dropped it...disastrously. :-(
*small* is the key word here.
Any recommendations?

The wife has a Nikon S6300 - fills the bill quite nicely.
Old March 27th 13, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
James Silverton[_2_]

On 3/27/2013 3:23 PM, Mike S. wrote:
In article om,
MaxD wrote:
I'm looking for a subcompact camera, a pocket camera.
I don't intend to "create memorable images" or take portraits, just want
something I can "whip" out of the pocket and take a snapshot.
Preferably not over $250. I had a Canon Powershot SD 780 that served me
well but I dropped it...disastrously. :-(
*small* is the key word here.

Pity. You just missed Amazon's closeout of the PowerShot S100 for $249. I
was about to recommend it when I went to double check, and it is now sold
by a third-party dealer for **much** more.

Does the thing have an optical viewfinder? Canon makes at least one that
has a viewfinder and an LCD and I find it necessary in bright sunlight.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Old March 27th 13, 08:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike S.

MaxD wrote:
I'm looking for a subcompact camera, a pocket camera.
I don't intend to "create memorable images" or take portraits, just want
something I can "whip" out of the pocket and take a snapshot.
Preferably not over $250. I had a Canon Powershot SD 780 that served me
well but I dropped it...disastrously. :-(
*small* is the key word here.

Pity. You just missed Amazon's closeout of the PowerShot S100 for $249. I
was about to recommend it when I went to double check, and it is now sold
by a third-party dealer for **much** more.

Does the thing have an optical viewfinder? Canon makes at least one that
has a viewfinder and an LCD and I find it necessary in bright sunlight.

No, only an LCD. I think the camera is to small to house an optical
viewfinder; anyway, whatever real estate they might have used for that is
instead devoted to the GPS receiver in that model (battery hog = turn
off).

Old March 27th 13, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MaxD

On 2013-03-27 10:06:09 -0700, MaxD said:

I'm looking for a subcompact camera, a pocket camera.
I don't intend to "create memorable images" or take portraits, just
want something I can "whip" out of the pocket and take a snapshot.
Preferably not over $250. I had a Canon Powershot SD 780 that served
me well but I dropped it...disastrously. :-(
*small* is the key word here.
Any recommendations?

Well if you want truly small, pocketable, and inexpensive, take a look
at the Nikon CoolPix S01. This thing is tiny and has an MSRP of $179.95.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pro...OLPIX-S01.html

Definitely worth a look, thanks
Old March 28th 13, 03:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frank S

"ray carter" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 11:06:09 -0600, MaxD wrote:

I'm looking for a subcompact camera, a pocket camera.
I don't intend to "create memorable images" or take portraits, just
want
something I can "whip" out of the pocket and take a snapshot.
Preferably
not over $250. I had a Canon Powershot SD 780 that served me well but
dropped it...disastrously. :-(
*small* is the key word here.
Any recommendations?

The wife has a Nikon S6300 - fills the bill quite nicely.

I have a recent ancestor of these Panasonics:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-.../dp/B00ATE7TQA
https://panasonic.ca/english/audiovi...ries_specs.asp

Note the "tough features" near the bottom of the chart.

--
Frank ess

Old March 28th 13, 04:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MaxD

On 3/27/2013 8:23 PM, Frank S wrote:

"ray carter" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 11:06:09 -0600, MaxD wrote:

I'm looking for a subcompact camera, a pocket camera.
I don't intend to "create memorable images" or take portraits, just want
something I can "whip" out of the pocket and take a snapshot. Preferably
not over $250. I had a Canon Powershot SD 780 that served me well but I
dropped it...disastrously. :-(
*small* is the key word here.
Any recommendations?

The wife has a Nikon S6300 - fills the bill quite nicely.

I have a recent ancestor of these Panasonics:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-.../dp/B00ATE7TQA

https://panasonic.ca/english/audiovi...ries_specs.asp

Note the "tough features" near the bottom of the chart.

Tempting but just a little bit bigger than what I'm looking for.

Thanks
Old March 28th 13, 10:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown

On 27/03/2013 17:06, MaxD wrote:
I'm looking for a subcompact camera, a pocket camera.
I don't intend to "create memorable images" or take portraits, just want
something I can "whip" out of the pocket and take a snapshot.
Preferably not over $250. I had a Canon Powershot SD 780 that served me
well but I dropped it...disastrously. :-(
*small* is the key word here.
Any recommendations?

One of the smaller Canon Ixus 125 if you already have and like Canons.

I have an Ixus 100is - one of the last to have a traditional viewfinder.
It is easily pocketable. Its predecessor an Ixus V was too - just about.

Martin Brown