A history of changes in Photoshop Elements?

Old June 19th 09, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Brian[_9_]

Default A history of changes in Photoshop Elements?

I cropped a photo then make some chages to the light and colour of the
photo. I now find that the cropping was wrong. Is there a way to undo
step one (the cropping) and leave the other changes I made to the
photo?

Regards Brian
Old June 19th 09, 04:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
clw

In article ,
Brian wrote:

I cropped a photo then make some chages to the light and colour of the
photo. I now find that the cropping was wrong. Is there a way to undo
step one (the cropping) and leave the other changes I made to the
photo?

Regards Brian

If you saved it as a PSE file then perhaps. If you save in any other
format not likely.

All the more reason to make all your changes on a copy of the original
and always save the original.
Old June 19th 09, 05:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Brian
wrote:

I cropped a photo then make some chages to the light and colour of the
photo. I now find that the cropping was wrong. Is there a way to undo
step one (the cropping) and leave the other changes I made to the
photo?

no. that's one of the advantages of lightroom - everything is
non-destructive and you can undo changes, including crops.

in photoshop, once you crop, those parts of the image are gone. the
only way to avoid that is to make a selection that matches the desired
crop and save that selection to be used later.
Old June 19th 09, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:14:01 -0700, nospam
wrote:

In article , Brian
wrote:

I cropped a photo then make some chages to the light and colour of the
photo. I now find that the cropping was wrong. Is there a way to undo
step one (the cropping) and leave the other changes I made to the
photo?

no. that's one of the advantages of lightroom - everything is
non-destructive and you can undo changes, including crops.

in photoshop, once you crop, those parts of the image are gone.

Not quite. Once you close the file, the cropped-out parts are gone.
However, before the file is closed, Control Z (un-do) or F12 (revert)
restores the full image.

Of course, anyone with experience will "save as" the cropped image and
retain the original file.

If the crop is made in Bridge, the full image is retained just as it
is in Lightroom.

The OP is probably screwed, though. There's no indication that his
crop was made in Bridge or that he did a "save as".

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old June 19th 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , tony cooper
wrote:

I cropped a photo then make some chages to the light and colour of the
photo. I now find that the cropping was wrong. Is there a way to undo
step one (the cropping) and leave the other changes I made to the
photo?

no. that's one of the advantages of lightroom - everything is
non-destructive and you can undo changes, including crops.

in photoshop, once you crop, those parts of the image are gone.

Not quite. Once you close the file, the cropped-out parts are gone.

obviously.

However, before the file is closed, Control Z (un-do) or F12 (revert)
restores the full image.

you would need to undo all the way back to the crop step, losing any
changes made after that, which is the situation the original poster is
describing.

Of course, anyone with experience will "save as" the cropped image and
retain the original file.

no, anyone with experience would save the crop as a selection to be
used later, or use different software entirely.
Old June 19th 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , John Navas
wrote:

I cropped a photo then make some chages to the light and colour of the
photo. I now find that the cropping was wrong. Is there a way to undo
step one (the cropping) and leave the other changes I made to the
photo?

Not now. It's only possible if you work in layers, and save the layers
in a PSD, which can be a PITA.

that's false. one only needs to save the crop as a selection. layers
are not needed, at least for that purpose.
Old June 19th 09, 06:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
michael adams

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , tony cooper
wrote:

[...]

No, anyone with experience may well have already set up a specific
directory named "studio", "workshop", "lab", etc. into which they copy
any file they're going to process, leaving the originals intact in their
original directories.

Which isn't to say that the original image files in the original
directories won't already have been ruthlessly culled by anything up
to 75% or 80%.

michael adams

Old June 19th 09, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , John Navas
wrote:

I cropped a photo then make some chages to the light and colour of the
photo. I now find that the cropping was wrong. Is there a way to undo
step one (the cropping) and leave the other changes I made to the
photo?

Not now. It's only possible if you work in layers, and save the layers
in a PSD, which can be a PITA.

that's false. one only needs to save the crop as a selection. layers
are not needed, at least for that purpose.

If it's just a "crop", but not if other manipulation is to be applied,
except as a new image.

wrong. by saving the crop as a selection, other adjustments can be
made and the crop reapplied at a later point.
Old June 19th 09, 07:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , michael adams
wrote:

No, anyone with experience may well have already set up a specific
directory named "studio", "workshop", "lab", etc. into which they copy
any file they're going to process, leaving the originals intact in their
original directories.

which doesn't solve the original poster's problem.
Old June 19th 09, 07:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
michael adams

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , michael adams
wrote:

No, anyone with experience may well have already set up a specific
directory named "studio", "workshop", "lab", etc. into which they copy
any file they're going to process, leaving the originals intact in their
original directories.

which doesn't solve the original poster's problem.

Nothing presently being discussed can solve the original poster's problem.

Merely possible ways of avoiding the same thing happening it in the future.

michael adams