Viewfinders on DSLR's

Old May 22nd 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Viewfinders on DSLR's

In article , Steve B says...

Pentax sell a x1.2 viewfinder magnifier. With that on, my K100D VF is a
fair bit larger than a full frame Canon 5D VF. They are all rubbish though
compared with an old Pentax KM film SLR I still have which is like going to
the cinema compared with a TV.

Rubbish compared to what? APS DLSRs or full frame DSLRs? What exactly is
the problem - lack of a split screen focus perhaps?
--

Alfred Molon
Old May 22nd 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Steve B[_3_]

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In article , Steve B says...

Pentax sell a x1.2 viewfinder magnifier. With that on, my K100D VF is a
fair bit larger than a full frame Canon 5D VF. They are all rubbish
though
compared with an old Pentax KM film SLR I still have which is like going
the cinema compared with a TV.

Rubbish compared to what? APS DLSRs or full frame DSLRs? What exactly is
the problem - lack of a split screen focus perhaps?
--

Alfred Molon

APS-C and full frame DSLR viewfinders are all rubbish as in very small
compared with old film SLR viewfinders, at least the few I've used many
moons ago, one of which I still have, the Pentax KM.

Old May 22nd 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Steve B says...

APS-C and full frame DSLR viewfinders are all rubbish as in very small
compared with old film SLR viewfinders, at least the few I've used many
moons ago, one of which I still have, the Pentax KM.

And why would viewfinders of full-frame DSLRs which cost thousands of
Euros be so inferior? There should be enough budget for a decent
viewfinder in a camera which costs 4000 Euro.
--

Alfred Molon
Old May 22nd 08, 11:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
frederick

On 2008-05-21 10:23:52 -0700, Alfred Molon said:

In article , dosferatu says...

Just getting into looking at DSLR's.
Looking thru, anyway.

So DSLR's, I assume, don't have focusing screens? Is that why looking
thru
the viewfinder everything is in focus?
Do any DSLR's have Depth of field preview thru the viewfinder or do
you have
to go to the lcd display?

What is Depth of field preview ?

When you look through the viewfinder or on the LCD of a DSLR, the lens
is wide open at its largest aperture. This allows the clearest and
brightest view with the least depth of field for composing and focusing
the picture. However, it does not show the actual depth of field that
you are going to get, which can be critical.

Most DSLRs have a button mounted by the lens which, if you press it,
stops the lens down to the selected aperture. The viewfinder becomes
darker because less light is entering the camera, but you can see what
parts of the image will appear shop in the final shot.

The depth of field preview button on my Nikon D300 does not work when
Live View is turned on.

For live view on the D300, the "viewed" f-stop is the f-stop set when Lv
mode is entered. Changing the f-stop when the LV display is on changes
the metering for an exposure, but leaves the aperture unchanged for the
display until liveview is exited and re-entered (including by taking a
picture)
So, the DOF preview doesn't work because the aperture might already be
stopped down when entering LV mode.
Sorry if I'm explaining the self-evident. I find LV very useful for
tripod work, where you can achieve absolute critical focus using LV with
the lens set at maximum aperture, then preview DOF accurately on the LCD
by stopping down and resetting LV, checking at up to 10x view if needed.
Old May 23rd 08, 09:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Steve B[_3_]

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In article , Steve B says...

APS-C and full frame DSLR viewfinders are all rubbish as in very small
compared with old film SLR viewfinders, at least the few I've used many
moons ago, one of which I still have, the Pentax KM.

And why would viewfinders of full-frame DSLRs which cost thousands of
Euros be so inferior? There should be enough budget for a decent
viewfinder in a camera which costs 4000 Euro.
--

No idea, it's something I've wondered about myself.

Old May 23rd 08, 10:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G[_2_]

"tomm42" wrote in message
On May 22, 5:22 am, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , David J
Taylor says...

Yes, if you pay more you may get a better viewfinder, but even that of
the
Nikon D40 is eminently usable. Try looking through the viewfinders for
yourself.

I remember briefly using a couple of years ago a Nikon D70. And wow,
what a viewfinder.
Recently I checked instead the Sony 350 and the Pentax K20D and was very
unimpressed. It's good that these two cameras come with live preview, so
you can use that for framing.
--

Alfred Molon
sharing site

I have a D70, and the viewfinder is its worst feature.

It is like looking down a tunnel, but eventually your brain gets used to it,
and it then seems Ok.

UNTIL you look through the VF on a more recent model, and then its back to -
"I need a new Camera"

Roy G

Old May 23rd 08, 03:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kennedy McEwen

In article , Alfred Molon
writes
In article , Steve B says...

What is Depth of field preview ?

Press the DOF preview button and the aperture goes from wide open, as used
for focusing and framing the shot, to your selected aperture. The VF will
now 'preview' what's really in focus/not in focus at that aperture and focal
length. The main problem is that it will get dark in the VF at small
apertures.

Oops... and there are DSLRs which cannot do this?

Actually, most dSLRs on the market today cannot do this, at least they
cannot do it with any accuracy, unlike the SLRs of old.

I thought it's a basic
feature of DSLRs that they will show you in the viewfinder what is in
focus and what is not in focus. How else otherwise could you creatively
compose the shot by choosing the right amount of background blur?

That is/was the basic principle. However, to get an accurate view of
what is in and out of focus at the shooting aperture you need to have a
highly diffusing screen - a coarse ground glass screen. The downside of
that is that the viewfinder image is very dark, because light from the
lens is scattered pretty much uniformly in all directions and only a
small proportion of that reaches the eyepiece. Without a ground glass
screen, all of the light reaches the eyepiece, at least within a certain
field of view of the image, resulting in a bright image but now
everything appears in focus. SLR viewfinder design has always been a
compromise between the two conflicting requirements of a bright image
and accurate DoF preview. There is only so much light that comes
through the lens, and it can't do everything.

In the old days (pre-1990), the tradeoff was made towards the accurate
DoF representation. However, since AF became more common on SLRs, the
tradeoff has shifted towards the brighter image, because the viewfinder
is no longer used for focussing. As a consequence of the demand for
brighter SLR viewfinders, DoF preview accuracy has reduced, to the point
where it is very misleading these days in almost all SLRs, and pretty
useless in many. The actual DoF is always much less than appears in the
viewfinder with modern cameras - unless they have interchangeable focus
screens and one is available that has been optimised for manual focus.

--
Kennedy
Old May 23rd 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Kennedy McEwen
says...

In the old days (pre-1990), the tradeoff was made towards the accurate
DoF representation. However, since AF became more common on SLRs, the
tradeoff has shifted towards the brighter image, because the viewfinder
is no longer used for focussing. As a consequence of the demand for
brighter SLR viewfinders, DoF preview accuracy has reduced, to the point
where it is very misleading these days in almost all SLRs, and pretty
useless in many. The actual DoF is always much less than appears in the
viewfinder with modern cameras - unless they have interchangeable focus
screens and one is available that has been optimised for manual focus.

Thanks. So the only way to check depth of field accurately would be to
take one shot and examine it on the LCD screen (zooming into it)?
--

Alfred Molon
Old May 23rd 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Kennedy McEwen
says...

In the old days (pre-1990), the tradeoff was made towards the accurate
DoF representation. However, since AF became more common on SLRs, the
tradeoff has shifted towards the brighter image, because the viewfinder
is no longer used for focussing. As a consequence of the demand for
brighter SLR viewfinders, DoF preview accuracy has reduced, to the point
where it is very misleading these days in almost all SLRs, and pretty
useless in many. The actual DoF is always much less than appears in the
viewfinder with modern cameras - unless they have interchangeable focus
screens and one is available that has been optimised for manual focus.

Thanks. So the only way to check depth of field accurately would be to
take one shot and examine it on the LCD screen (zooming into it)?

Really? I never considered that even in the oldest of days an SLR
screen DOF preview was for looking what was in focus ... it was for
looking at what was really our of focus, to get the proper subject-
background isolation. That still works fine on my Canon 30D.

Doug McDonald

viewfinders question TomCat999 Medium Format Photography Equipment 20 June 30th 07 12:09 AM
Two-Eyed Viewfinders ~~NoMad~~ Digital Photography 13 November 17th 06 08:58 PM
Viewfinders! DB4 Digital Photography 13 July 25th 06 01:31 PM
viewfinders [email protected] Digital Photography 9 December 29th 05 07:52 AM