You can with a Nikon, not with a Canon ;-))

Old September 12th 07, 08:21 PM posted to aus.photo,fr.rec.photo,rec.photo.digital
Gino[_2_]

Default You can with a Nikon, not with a Canon ;-))

I guess that you haven't heard of fp or high speed sync?

Would be interesting to know the hit rate using your method. My guess is
that it's not too reliable.

"Sosumi" wrote in message
Hack the flash so you synch at 1/4000 !!!
I did it with the D40. Normal synch is already good at 1/500, but I want
the camera to do what I want, not what he wants. So yesterday I got my new
SB 800 flash, very nice and fantastic features, like max. distance of over
50 meters!
Everything automatic, even the zoom up to 105 mm works together with the
lens and if the camera goes standby or you turn it of, so does the flash.

I had just finished the book (125 pages) and tried everything out. OK it
works as a slave and everything you can want in a flash: it has got it!
But I stay bothered by the max flash synch at 1/500. Why the heck is that?
I remember when I had the D80, it flashed at any speed I choose, with the
internal flash.
So I found something on the net: tape all contacts of the camera or flash
with paper or tape, except the middle one.

Thatīs all. The camera thinks it has no flash and all automatic stuff is
gone, but the flash DOES fire!! So I was able to FREEZE falling water from
the tap in the kitchen. Very cool!!

You just have to play with the aperture and the amount of flash a little.
But itīs digital, so you can fool around as much as necesary.

I did read most Canon cameraīs canīt do this trick. Except maybe the older
ones or more/most expensive. But lemme know if itīs not true!
Also: show some pictures with what you can freeze here.

Old September 12th 07, 09:08 PM posted to aus.photo,fr.rec.photo,rec.photo.digital
Sosumi

My D80 HAD FP, but the problem is, the D40 doesnīt. Donīt understand hit
rate. I get good pictures, if thatīs what youīre worried about...

Old September 12th 07, 10:00 PM posted to aus.photo,fr.rec.photo,rec.photo.digital
Wayne

In article , says...

Thatīs all. The camera thinks it has no flash and all automatic stuff is
gone, but the flash DOES fire!! So I was able to FREEZE falling water from
the tap in the kitchen. Very cool!!

The obvious question is why would you want to set the shutter speed to 1/4000
second for this? A totally unnecessary complication.

Flash exposure is only about aperture and flash power. NOT about shutter
speed. You only want the shutter to be open for flash. The only time you
would care about exact shutter speed is for ambient lighting, if somehow mixed
in the same frame (like outdoors in daylight - then matching the two
exposures is necessary). At any one given aperture and ISO, then shutter
speed controls ambient exposure, and flash power controls flash exposure.
This is simply how things work.

With regard to freezing your falling water, try this:

Set lens aperture to maybe f/16 (for depth, am assuming up close)

Set shutter speed to Bulb, where it stays open as long as you hold the button
down (a couple of seconds). Set ISO 200.

Set SB-800 flash to Manual, at lowest 1/128 power level (for fastest speed),
at perhaps 8 inches (20 cm) from water subject (assuming flash zoom setting
is at 24mm). Vary this ballpark distance in or out, as needed for proper
exposure.

Open shutter (hold button down in Bulb)

Start the water drop moving, or whatever.

Fire SB-800 flash in manual from maybe 8 inches (for water drops)
(assuming it is timed to be at the right instant desired as subject).

Then we are done, so close shutter by letting go of shutter button to shut it.
Shutter was open maybe 1 or 2 seconds (shutter speed), but the water drop is
perfectly frozen by the flash speed.. Which duration is 1/41,400 second for
Nikon SB-800 at 1/128 power.

The 1/41,400 second flash is much faster than the 1/4000 second shutter, and
the shutter has no effect at all (so long as it was open). Even when the
shutter speed was two seconds, it still has no effect at all (in this case).

The 1/41,4000 second flash duration stops the motion. Not the shutter.
Indoors in a halfway dim room, the ambient will not register in a couple of
seconds.

Theoretically, you might choose to use a tremendously slow flash unit with a
fast enough shutter speed to matter, but why would you possibly want to?

See
http://www.scantips.com/speed.html about why speed lights are called speed
lights, and regarding stopping motion with flash.

--
Wayne
http://www.scantips.com "A few scanning tips"

Old September 12th 07, 10:12 PM posted to aus.photo,fr.rec.photo,rec.photo.digital
Tony Gartshore[_2_]

In article ,
says...
My D80 HAD FP, but the problem is, the D40 doesn?t. Don?t understand hit
rate. I get good pictures, if that?s what you?re worried about...

100 good out of 100 ?
50 good out of 100 ?
20 good out of 100 ?

Hit rate..

Anyway, Supporting what Wayne said elsewhere.

http://www.evil-photographer.com/water.jpg

Very quick & dirty test..

Canon 350D. 1 sec at F8 in darkness.
Canon 580EX.

T.

Old September 13th 07, 01:33 AM posted to aus.photo,fr.rec.photo,rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

Sosumi wrote:
"Matt Ion" wrote in message
Sosumi wrote:

So I found something on the net: tape all contacts of the camera or flash
with paper or tape, except the middle one.

Any camera with hotshoe will do that with any hotshoe flash.

Thatīs all. The camera thinks it has no flash and all automatic stuff is
gone, but the flash DOES fire!!

No ****, Sherlock! Check out any non-dedicated generic flash and any
older camera that doesn't support dedicated flash - ALL they use is the
center contact! Wow!

So I was able to FREEZE falling water from the tap in the kitchen. Very
cool!!

Neat, you've just re-discovered one of the first things ever done with the
invention of the camera flash.

You just have to play with the aperture and the amount of flash a little.

Pick up a cheap non-dedicated flash... they have this little chart on the
back that tells you what aperture to use at what distance for any given
ISO speed. Wow, you're right on top of things with this radical new
technique!

I did read most Canon cameraīs canīt do this trick.

You read wrong.

Just shot this with my 300D and 420EX flash. No contacts taped up, flash
set to high-speed sync, camera set to 1/4000, f/11, ISO200.

http://www2.moltenimage.com/photos/1-4000_flash.jpg

Unsharp, outta focus and too dark. What else, genius?

You didn't ask for focus or exposure, you asked for flash sync at
1/4000s. Any other comments, idiot?

You quote and read wrong: I wrote "except for the older ones" What do you
call a 300D? New model? Practically a dinosaur.
Try it with a "modern" Canon like the D400.

A four-year-old camera is "a dinosaur"? Wow... then what would my
1956-vintage Argus C-3 be? The 400D (not D400) is the younger brother to
the 300D. Seeing as it's essentially a newer version of the same
camera, and can use the same 420EX flash, how would it be any different
in this regard?
Old September 13th 07, 05:04 AM posted to aus.photo,fr.rec.photo,rec.photo.digital
mirafiori

it's not the camera does the trick but the flash. any flash with very short
duration including your SB 800 could do the trick working with a canon
camera or any camera. of course you need the understanding of how to trigger
the flash on.

Old September 13th 07, 08:31 AM posted to aus.photo,fr.rec.photo,rec.photo.digital
Ricco

Matt Ion wrote:
Sosumi wrote:

[...]

Vous parlez de quoi ?
je ne voudrais pas déranger.
Ricco

Old September 13th 07, 09:18 AM posted to aus.photo,fr.rec.photo,rec.photo.digital
Ghost-rider

Default You can with a Nikon, not with a Canon ;-)) But tell it inFrench please

To all our Australian friends: please note that fr.rec.photo is a
French-speaking newsgroup.
Please either discard its address from your adress list or translate all
the above discussions into the French language, as you may choose. ;-)

Thank You and kind regards.

Ghost Rider
Old September 13th 07, 11:53 AM posted to aus.photo,fr.rec.photo,rec.photo.digital
Sosumi

I think itīs a great idea!
Thanks, Iīm going to try it!

says...

Old September 13th 07, 01:23 PM posted to aus.photo,fr.rec.photo,rec.photo.digital
Jerome jj

"Ghost-Rider" a écrit dans le message de news:
To all our Australian friends: please note that fr.rec.photo is a
French-speaking newsgroup.
Please either discard its address from your adress list or translate all
the above discussions into the French language, as you may choose. ;-)

C'est fou comme l'anglais ressemble ā du spam !

--
Jérôme