Software

Old March 4th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Software

I thought you were kidding when you made your original suggestion. I'm not
ignoring it; I just don't want to create another chore, ie transcription.

"rafe b" rafebATspeakeasy.net wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 09:39:06 -0500, "Lew" wrote:

My main in the dark requirement would be to keep notes about how I'm
printing certain negatives.

Like I say... a tiny handheld voice recorder.
You can get them at Staples for $30-$50.
Hands-free. Won't fog your prints or use
up precious counter space.

Why do folks consistently overlook the
simple, cheap, and obvious solutions?

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

Old March 4th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 15:02:24 -0500, "Lew" wrote:

I thought you were kidding when you made your original suggestion. I'm not
ignoring it; I just don't want to create another chore, ie transcription.

Sooner or later there will be some keyboarding.
Talking into a mic as you work takes zero effort.
So there's no "extra chore," unless talking into
a mic is a chore. And it solves most of those
other gnarly problems folks have been talking
about.

But hey, it's only an idea and you can do with
it as you wish.

If I had a wet darkroom, I'm not sure I'd want
a computer in it grin.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
Old March 5th 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Well, since OS/X is Unix (sorta), there will probably be a
good number of the Linux crowd writing stuff for the Mac.

There are a few Linux distributions which can be installed
on Apple computers. Dual booting is possible.
Java 2 Standard Edition, J2SE, is included with any Mac.
That and the included X Code IDE can make a programmer
of any one at no additional cost. Gota know JAVA though.
AppleScripts is a macro facility; a feature of OS-X. It
makes possible automated computer function. Very
helpfull with reduntant operations.
AppleWorks is off the shelf word processing, spread
sheet, data base, etc, software. Costs extra. Dan

Old March 5th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Lew a écrit :
I'm curious to know if list members think that it's desirable to manage
their profession/avocation with software and, if so, what features they
need.
-Lew

Well, I don't know if it is desirable or not but I use a computer (well,
in fact two) for my darkroom work for several years now.
My office is in my darkroom so my main computer is close to the enlargers.
When printing B/W, I use a red filter (RubyLith film) on the screen.
I have a second PC on the wet side with a flat LCD panel (and the same
Rubylith film on) right over the sink.

Their functions ?
I developed a pair of applications to manage the dry and wet sides.
So they are directly related to the darkroom work and help me work
faster and better.

The wet side is mainly a process timer with various extras:
- films/papers process monitoring. Monitoring includes voice countdowns.
- dilutions calculations
- units conversion
- time versus temperature conversion
- chemical formulas maintenance

The dry side is somewhat more sophisticated as it includes an electronic
hardware driving the enlargers and a RGBW probe measuring the light:
- stop timer for up to 4 enlargers (and/or respective fans). Voice
countdown included.
- metronome. Voice countdown included.
- stop test strips. Voice countdown included.
- exposure calculation when parameters vary (enlargment ratio, filters
factor, diaphragm, ...)
- multigrade filter exposure factors (mostly useful with a color head
and single filtering)
- color filters exposure factors calculation
- contrast evaluation
- exposure meter using various reference points related to reference
prints. These reference points are stored in files so you can have as
many as you want.
- (soon) color analyzer
- basic transmission densitometer using the enlarger as light source.
More sophisticated transmission and reflection densitometers planned.
- prints databank with their exposure parameters including a visual
(print scan) dodging/burning map driving directly the timer.

The project is he
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/fotolab.htm
It's been a long time I haven't updated this page so, if it does
interest you, please wait a month or so as I have an upgrade to publish.
But, as days are limited to a mere 24 hours and projects are so
numerous, I need some time to finalize it ...

I'm sure that many will find this completely overkill (please, no flames
on this), but, in my case, my efficiency has increased a lot.
Anyway, it's not the method or tools you use that counts, it's the way
you understand and master them that is important.

Best regards,
Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch