The GIMP 2.10 Is Out

Old June 4th 18, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default The GIMP 2.10 Is Out

In article , android
wrote:

Having 16 bit channels dates from November 1992 (version 2.5):
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_version_history

Know that! The problem was lack of 16bit support for the plugins, which
is crucial for working with Photoshop the Photoshop way.

That was true for some plugins, not all. IIRC NIK and Topaz worked fine
in 16 bit mode. i am not aware of any that work in LAB mode, but then
when I work in LAB mode I really don't need plugins.

16bit support was enabled in CS according to the Wikipedia page sited...

nope. it was added in 2.5.

read it again.
Old June 4th 18, 05:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , android
wrote:

which got 16bit support with CC...

plug-ins did, however, photoshop itself had support for 16 bit since
1992 in version 2.5, enhanced with version 5 in 1998 and again in
2003 with cs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_version_history

Liar. From the link in the above: "16 bit per channel layers, painting,
and adjustment" were added in CS/PS8

scroll up to version 2.5, where it states "16 bit per channel support".

Liar. Not very complete such. Maybe reading and writing to file and not
much more. Certainly not layers, which was added in CS...

layers was v3, with adjustment layers in v4, something the gimp doesn't
have and according to its road map, won't ever have, making it useless
for anything serious.
Old June 4th 18, 05:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jun 4, 2018, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

On Monday, 4 June 2018 15:10:29 UTC+1, ray carter wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 08:57:44 -0400, Neil wrote:

On 6/3/2018 4:21 PM, android wrote:
I noticed this while updating Macports. It now features high bit depth
and such... I have not gotten around to try it yet but this line on the
terminal will set you up so that you can try for yourselves:

sudo port -v install gimp2 && gimp

https://www.gimp.org/release-notes/gimp-2.10.html
Since Gimp is useless for serious editing you should have included 'OT'
in the subject line.

I must not understand the significance of 'rec' in the group name.

I think it's short for recreational as in a hobby rather than a profession.
There's other .rec. groups too.

....and here comes a mighty recreational WHOOoosh!!

Savageduck

Old June 4th 18, 07:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , android
wrote:

which got 16bit support with CC...

plug-ins did, however, photoshop itself had support for 16 bit
since 1992 in version 2.5, enhanced with version 5 in 1998 and
again in 2003 with cs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_version_history

Liar. From the link in the above: "16 bit per channel layers,
painting,
and adjustment" were added in CS/PS8

scroll up to version 2.5, where it states "16 bit per channel
support".

Liar. Not very complete such. Maybe reading and writing to file and not
much more. Certainly not layers, which was added in CS...

layers was v3, with adjustment layers in v4,

Liar. With 16bit support it was not...

it was.
Old June 5th 18, 12:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 6/4/2018 11:20 AM, android wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 11:14:41 -0400, PeterN
wrote in
:

On 6/4/2018 6:04 AM, android wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 01:44:18 -0700, -hh

wrote in
:

n article , android
wrote:

I noticed this while updating Macports. It now features high bit
depth and such...

something photoshop had in 1992.

it still does not have adjustment layers, something photoshop had in
1996, making it still useless to any serious editing.

Photoshop was eight bits per channel until CS, IIRC...

CS was 32 vs 64 bits for addressing of memory, which was required for
having more total RAM for larger images.

Having 16 bit channels dates from November 1992 (version 2.5):
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_version_history

Know that! The problem was lack of 16bit support for the plugins, which
is crucial for working with Photoshop the Photoshop way.

That was true for some plugins, not all. IIRC NIK and Topaz worked fine
in 16 bit mode. i am not aware of any that work in LAB mode, but then
when I work in LAB mode I really don't need plugins.

16bit support was enabled in CS according to the Wikipedia page sited...

I started with PS4. Many other plugins only worked in 8 bit mode.

--
PeterN

gimp and CMS Dale[_2_] In The Darkroom 3 October 29th 14 12:45 AM
gimp and CMS Dale[_2_] Digital Photography 3 October 29th 14 12:45 AM
GIMP Mike -- Email Ignored Digital SLR Cameras 144 September 13th 08 02:08 PM
The GIMP on the go - in your PDA! Mike Henley Digital Photography 2 October 30th 05 08:20 AM
help with the GIMP Peter Medium Format Photography Equipment 5 April 13th 04 12:28 AM