Cyanotypes as a kids art project. Lots of questions...

Old January 28th 04, 04:12 AM
RiffRaff

Default Cyanotypes as a kids art project. Lots of questions...

I am teaching art projects to kids aged 7 to 12 for half-days. I would like
to do cyanotypes for one of those days. I have been doing some research into
it and contacting possible suppliers for the chemicals here in Canada. I
still have a lot of questions though...

1) How long will the paper need to sit out in the winter sun for the paper
to receive the proper amount of light (is it the same amount of time that it
would take in the summer?)

2) I plan on using the standard old cyanotype formula so the kids can
"develop" the paper in plain water. Do I need running water? Or will it work
if I have 2 "baths" where the kids can wash the print by slowly moving the
paper in the first bath, and then again rinsing it in a second bath of
cleaner water? How long should they be in the water for?

3) I was wondering if the kids draw or paint on transparency film (the kind
you use in overhead projectors)with markers or paints, would that work as
contact-negatives for the cyanotypes?

4) I am also considering bring my digital camera, laptop and printer to the
class so the kids can do some contact printing with negatives. I am thinking
that I could take digital photos and photoshop them into "paper negatives".
Then I could print 'em on paper and use a photocopier to print the "paper
negatives" onto transparencies. And use the transparencies as contact
negatives. Would this work? (I know you can print directly onto
transparencies with the the inkjet printer, however the transparencies for
inkjets are way more expensive I believe. I don't have any budget for these
projects, so it is all coming out of my own pocket and I need to keep the
costs down).

5) Is there a way to speed up the drying process so the kids can bring home
dry (or nearly dry) prints? Could you set them on a wire frame near a
ceramic heater, blow 'em with a blow dryer? anything?

6) Can I use regular watercolour paper? Or do I need special paper - and can
I get it cheap?

7) Can I make up the paper in advance and keep it in the dark? What is the a
pproximate shelf life?

8) Any other ideas or recommendations to make the project fun and
successful? (The kids will have 4 hours to complete the project - I figured
we could make decorative frames for the prints while the prints sunned
themselves in a snow bank and while waiting for the prints to dry).

Thank you for any suggestions, recommendations, ideas and well wishes )
Maxine

Old January 28th 04, 07:13 AM
Thad Smith

RiffRaff wrote:

I am teaching art projects to kids aged 7 to 12 for half-days. I would like
to do cyanotypes for one of those days. I have been doing some research into
it and contacting possible suppliers for the chemicals here in Canada. I
still have a lot of questions though...

1) How long will the paper need to sit out in the winter sun for the paper
to receive the proper amount of light (is it the same amount of time that it
would take in the summer?)

It would be a little longer, maybe 1.5 times, because of the increase of
the angle. The best thing to do would be a trial run ahead of time.
You will get more variation from clouds than seasonal change, I think.

2) I plan on using the standard old cyanotype formula so the kids can
"develop" the paper in plain water. Do I need running water? Or will it work
if I have 2 "baths" where the kids can wash the print by slowly moving the
paper in the first bath, and then again rinsing it in a second bath of
cleaner water? How long should they be in the water for?

I've never done this, but looked at web sites. Since the washing takes
out chemicals, running would be preferred, but the fixed baths would
probably work if they were either large enough or possibly changed when
needed. Here is one site:
http://www.nmpft.org.uk/insight/down...ypeProcess.asp

3) I was wondering if the kids draw or paint on transparency film (the kind
you use in overhead projectors)with markers or paints, would that work as
contact-negatives for the cyanotypes?

Yes, anything to block the light.

4) I am also considering bring my digital camera, laptop and printer to the
class so the kids can do some contact printing with negatives. I am thinking
that I could take digital photos and photoshop them into "paper negatives".
Then I could print 'em on paper and use a photocopier to print the "paper
negatives" onto transparencies. And use the transparencies as contact
negatives. Would this work? (I know you can print directly onto
transparencies with the the inkjet printer, however the transparencies for
inkjets are way more expensive I believe. I don't have any budget for these
projects, so it is all coming out of my own pocket and I need to keep the
costs down).

Paper negatives should work, but they will increase the exposure time.
Experimenting with my camera's exposure reading, I would estimate that a
sheet of regular bond paper would increase the exposure somewhere in the
range of 8 to 12 times over a transparent base, which will probably make
it unrealistic. Also, you can see the exposure occurring with a
transparent base, which is a definite advantage.

5) Is there a way to speed up the drying process so the kids can bring home
dry (or nearly dry) prints? Could you set them on a wire frame near a
ceramic heater, blow 'em with a blow dryer? anything?

I think those will work. The referenced site recommended against heat
when drying the paper before exposure, but didn't mention after
developing.

6) Can I use regular watercolour paper? Or do I need special paper - and can
I get it cheap?

Apparently most types of paper will work.

7) Can I make up the paper in advance and keep it in the dark? What is the a
pproximate shelf life?

The site said that oxidation after sensitizing will degrade
performance. I would think that making it up a day ahead would be OK.
Another recommendation is to avoid fluorescent lighting when developing
the print.

8) Any other ideas or recommendations to make the project fun and
successful? (The kids will have 4 hours to complete the project - I figured
we could make decorative frames for the prints while the prints sunned
themselves in a snow bank and while waiting for the prints to dry).

It sounds like a fun idea! Test it first, though.

Thad