4X5 film holders

Old January 30th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default 4X5 film holders

I have a couple of 4x5 film holders where the black clothe-like tape that
allows the bottom of the holder to swing open has torn and needs to be
replaced. I'm hoping someone can guide me to a source where I can buy this
tape to repair these holders. Thanks.

Old January 30th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Robert J. Mathes spake thus:

I have a couple of 4x5 film holders where the black clothe-like tape that
allows the bottom of the holder to swing open has torn and needs to be
replaced. I'm hoping someone can guide me to a source where I can buy this
tape to repair these holders. Thanks.

If you can get ahold of the old black cloth electrician's tape, this
will work admirably. Dunno where to get it--is it even still available?
Maybe 2nd-hand stores.

You can also glue any kind of black fabric over the edge, using Elmer's
or equivalent if it's a wooden holder. It needn't be light-tight;
there's a light trap in the little door.

--
The only reason corrupt Republicans rule the roost in Washington
is because the corrupt Democrats can't muster any viable opposition.
Old January 30th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
Robert J. Mathes spake thus:

I have a couple of 4x5 film holders where the black
clothe-like tape that
allows the bottom of the holder to swing open has torn
and needs to be
replaced. I'm hoping someone can guide me to a source
where I can buy this
tape to repair these holders. Thanks.

If you can get ahold of the old black cloth electrician's
tape, this will work admirably. Dunno where to get it--is
it even still available? Maybe 2nd-hand stores.

You can also glue any kind of black fabric over the edge,
using Elmer's or equivalent if it's a wooden holder. It
needn't be light-tight; there's a light trap in the little
door.

At one time Calumet had the tape but Robert is right, its
just a hinge, not a light blocker, so any cloth or cloth
tape will work.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old January 30th 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Robert

where I can buy this tape to repair these holders. Thanks.

Gaffers tape.

Bob AZ

Old January 30th 06, 12:38 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Bob AZ wrote:
Robert

where I can buy this tape to repair these holders. Thanks.

Gaffers tape.

I have never had to replace the tape, but I have only been using 4x5 since
about 1975. The original is much like the old "friction tape" that
electricians used to use. Perhaps the reason I no longer see that kind of
tape on the market is because electric codes probably do not permit splicing
wires anymore. You should use it all in one run, and any connections seem to
be made with wire nuts inside junction boxes.

Stuff like duct tape are too thick and I suspect too stiff to use with
pleasure; i.e., they would be annoyingly stiff.

^^-^^ 06:35:00 up 9 days, 22:02, 5 users, load average: 4.30, 4.18, 4.11
Old January 30th 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Robert J. Mathes spake thus:

I have a couple of 4x5 film holders where the black clothe-like tape that
allows the bottom of the holder to swing open has torn and needs to be
replaced. I'm hoping someone can guide me to a source where I can buy
this
tape to repair these holders. Thanks.

If you can get ahold of the old black cloth electrician's tape, this
will work admirably. Dunno where to get it--is it even still available?
Maybe 2nd-hand stores.

You can also glue any kind of black fabric over the edge, using Elmer's
or equivalent if it's a wooden holder. It needn't be light-tight;
there's a light trap in the little door.

Bicycle stores ought to stock black cloth tape. It's used for wrapping
racing bike handlebars. I bought some recently.

Matt
Old January 31st 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message
Bob AZ wrote:
Robert

where I can buy this tape to repair these holders.
Thanks.

Gaffers tape.

I have never had to replace the tape, but I have only been
using 4x5 since
about 1975. The original is much like the old "friction
tape" that
electricians used to use. Perhaps the reason I no longer
see that kind of
tape on the market is because electric codes probably do
not permit splicing
wires anymore. You should use it all in one run, and any
connections seem to
be made with wire nuts inside junction boxes.

Stuff like duct tape are too thick and I suspect too stiff
to use with
pleasure; i.e., they would be annoyingly stiff.

--
.~. Jean-David Beyer Registered Linux User
85642.
^^-^^ 06:35:00 up 9 days, 22:02, 5 users, load average:
4.30, 4.18, 4.11

The problem with "friction" tape, and many other tapes,
is that the adhesive migrates and leaves a gummy border
around the tape. Friction tape is NOT the familiar smooth
plastic electrical tape. I have not seen actual friction
tape for some time.
Gaffer tape works OK for holders because the adhesive is
specifically designed not to migrate. Note that Gaffer tape
is NOT the same thing is duct tape although they are often
confused. Gaffer tape is intended for temporary fastening of
things on a movie set, it is designed to be relatively
strong but to be removable with as litte damage to the
surface its fastend to as possible. Duct tape is meant for
wrapping air conditioning ducts and has a very sticky
adhesive that spreads and is hard to remove.
Probably the best solution to replacing the hinges on
holders is to use a thin leatherette plastic and cement it
with contact cement. The material is thin and smooth, both
desirable for the application.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old February 1st 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Richard Knoppow" wrote

The problem with "friction" tape, and many other tapes,
is that the adhesive migrates and leaves a gummy border
around the tape. Friction tape is NOT the familiar smooth
plastic electrical tape. I have not seen actual friction
tape for some time.

Still around and still used. Friction tape is used over
self-vulcanizing rubber tape. The combination makes for
an excellent seal against weather for outdoor electrical
splices.

I think friction tape would be a bad choice for film holders because
the adhesive just isn't that strong. After being wrapped
around an electrical splice the tape is slit lengthwise
for a few inches and then tied in a square knot around the
splice so it doesn't unravel.

Filament tape, the stuff used for wrapping packages,
should work well as a temporary fix. Another choice
might be 'Mastic' cloth tape.

Whatever is used it should have a fiber/fabric
reinforcement.

A roll of the real tape is only a few dollars from
Calumet. Might as well spend the money with a photography
supplier than a hardware store.

In any case a good hardware store should be able to
supply any of these, except for 'genuine' gaffers'
and hinge tapes.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com
Old February 1st 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Richard Knoppow wrote:

: "Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message
: news:dVmDf.4920$JO5.2881@trnddc04...
: Bob AZ wrote:
: Robert
:
[...]
: --
: /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey http://counter.li.org
[...]

Friction tape isn't used by electricians to much anymore. In fact
the use of even electrical tape is frowned on by electrical inspectors.
To many "bad" practices were getting covered up with layers of tape!
Those that have their hearts set on friction tape can go to a sports
store and get the tape that gets used on hockey sticks. It's been many
years since I played hockey but I don't remember any trouble with the
stuff making a mess like electric tape and duck tape.

I've been using gaffers tape on the hinges. It sticks good and I have a
lot of the stuff and can replace it easily.

--

Old February 3rd 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/FI4...pe=SPD SEARCH

or just search the Calumet website for Fidelity tape

$2.99/yd.

--
darkroommike