Fuji S2 and flash

Old March 26th 04, 06:42 AM
elchief

Default Fuji S2 and flash

Hi, I am a new digital photographer, I use to work whit film for my
weddings and I have just started to use the Fuji S2 Pro, I like the
color and the image when I'm at my studio, but when I'm at a wedding,
whit my Metz 44 MZ-2 flash, the pictures are not as nice, they got a
los of contrast and hot spots, can someone share some info about
digital photography and flash?

see some images about this in my site
http://www.davidjosue.com/

and thanks for your patience with my english.

David Josue
Old March 27th 04, 08:00 AM
zeitgeist

Hi, I am a new digital photographer, I use to work whit film for my
weddings and I have just started to use the Fuji S2 Pro, I like the
color and the image when I'm at my studio, but when I'm at a wedding,
whit my Metz 44 MZ-2 flash, the pictures are not as nice, they got a
los of contrast and hot spots, can someone share some info about
digital photography and flash?

see some images about this in my site
http://www.davidjosue.com/

and thanks for your patience with my english.

nice photos, you ain't doing to bad.

for your portraiture I see you use a lot of natural light, and studio flash
modified with softboxes etc. At wedding you use a small 2 or 3 inch light
source.

possible answers are.

set up slaved flash, this can be either a key light to give a one stop
brighter light from the side (which strangely enough is referred to as a 3:1
ratio) and/or some flash heads to bounce off the ceiling to raise the
ambient light level of the room.

Set your flash to one stop under the ambient or available room light level
so you just have a fill light, or set to give you only one stop over so the
faces are brightly if harshly lighted but not so starkly bright with a black
background (this can also be combined with the slaved key light, something I
usually do.)

bounce your flash, I usually aim mine at a sidewall, if your flash is one of
those big 'potato mashers' as we call them, I've heard of hammer heads too,
then you should have enough power to give you a good f/stop in the middle, I
usually shoot near wide open.

There is lots of discussion of wedding photo imagery and flash usage at
weddings in the z-prophoto mailing list at yahoogroups.com

Old March 29th 04, 05:55 PM
Feline Technologies

Check out this article.......
http://www.shootsmarter.com/infocenter/wc004.html

Basically try "setting your strobe to the A setting instead of TTL"
Try using a bounce or diffusion on your strobe to get softer light.

~NC

om...

Old September 17th 04, 09:13 PM
Dennis Bradley

I have a Fuji1 S2 Pro also, and use a Nikon SB-80DX Speedlight with a
diffuser fitted.
I tend to get better exposures by setting the flash compensation on the
camera to -2 or -3.
At the higher ISO settings (800 and 1600) there always seems to be some burn
out highlights.

Dennis

"Feline Technologies" wrote in message
Check out this article.......
http://www.shootsmarter.com/infocenter/wc004.html

Basically try "setting your strobe to the A setting instead of TTL"
Try using a bounce or diffusion on your strobe to get softer light.

~NC

om...

Old September 29th 04, 12:13 PM
Gene Palmiter

I am a photojournalist and seldom have time to set up a lot of slave
lights....so use the Omnibounce....do a Google on it.

om...