Advice request for a digital camera...

Old February 21st 05, 10:05 PM

Default Advice request for a digital camera...

I've been reading dpreview, dcresource, etc. and am trying to come to a
conclusion on a camera. I've pretty much decided that the minimumn
requirements are a 3.0mp with at least a 3x optical zoom is the
baseline. The camera would be used for general picture taking,
especially "teaching" my kids by being able to zoom in on plants, bugs,
electronics, etc., but I'm not sure if 3x optical is enough or not...

Some of the models I have been looking into include the Coolpix 3700,
the Coolpix 5400, the Panasonic DMC-FZ3 and the Canon A95. I'm
basically bouncing between the 3x and 5x mp, and 3x and up on optical
zoom for less than $300. I'd like to use an already purchased CF card,
but that's not a show stopper. I can get the 3700 online for $125 or
so, which may be too good to pass up, but I would have to purchase
storage. Conversely, I might go for the zoom capability on the FZ3 and
pay the additional difference.

I'd appreciate input on any of the aforementioned models and/or if you
have a personal preference to one or another (or others) within the
price range. Also, I'd be interested in picture samples if you have
some posted.

Thank you,
Dave

Old February 22nd 05, 01:36 AM
Ron Hunter

[...]

My first camera had a 2x zoom, and this was quite inadequate. When I
went shopping for a new camera, I found that 3x zoom was also not quite
enough, and 10x was a bit of overkill (but nice if you do things like
bird-watching). I settled on a 4x zoom, which I consider the minimum
for my purposes. Let your usage, and budget work out a compromise on
this subject, but I wouldn't go below 4x unless you have severe budget
constraints.

--
Ron Hunter

Old February 24th 05, 04:35 PM
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

I've been reading dpreview, dcresource, etc. and am trying to come to a
conclusion on a camera. I've pretty much decided that the minimumn
requirements are a 3.0mp with at least a 3x optical zoom is the
baseline. The camera would be used for general picture taking,
especially "teaching" my kids by being able to zoom in on plants, bugs,
electronics, etc., but I'm not sure if 3x optical is enough or not...

There was an excellent article in the NYT a couple of months back -
it's probably at your local library.

You can also check the small but growing databse of user reports at:

http://www.exc.com/Photography

-Joel

Old February 24th 05, 04:40 PM
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

When you buy the camera, decide what your priorities are. If the
quality of the final pictures is most important to you, then:

1. Make sure you get a good lens.

2. If you're going to make enlargements bigger than 5x7,
you'll need more than 3MP.

If convenience is more important than picture quality, you'll have to
try the cameras yourself, to see what you presonally like.

FWIW, I love the Canon S-line, which was the right combination of
quality and convenience for me.

-Joel

Please feed the 35mm lens/digicam databases: http://www.exc.com/photography