best film holders?

Old November 11th 09, 07:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Scott Norwood

Default best film holders?

I'm in the market for some more 4x5 film holders. I have a mix of
"Fidelity" and "Riteway" holders that are both fine. I also have
a 1-2 of each that leak light (why?) which I do not use for that
reason.

What type should I get and is there a recommended source for used
ones? B&H Photo wants nearly $100 for two new ones, which is insane.

(And if anyone wants to get rid of half a dozen or so film holders,
let me know.)
Old November 11th 09, 08:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 11/11/2009 10:38 AM Scott Norwood spake thus:

I'm in the market for some more 4x5 film holders. I have a mix of
"Fidelity" and "Riteway" holders that are both fine. I also have
a 1-2 of each that leak light (why?) which I do not use for that
reason.

What type should I get and is there a recommended source for used
ones? B&H Photo wants nearly $100 for two new ones, which is insane.

(And if anyone wants to get rid of half a dozen or so film holders,
let me know.)

Having used both kinds, I don't think there's any appreciable
differences between different brands of holders. There are, however, as
you've discovered, huge differences in the conditions of any old holders
(light seals, warpage, etc.).

There are always lots of holders on eBay. I've gotten the bulk of my
holders there, and most have turned out to be usable and don't leak.

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet
Old November 11th 09, 09:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Lawrence Akutagawa

"Scott Norwood" wrote in message
I'm in the market for some more 4x5 film holders. I have a mix of
"Fidelity" and "Riteway" holders that are both fine. I also have
a 1-2 of each that leak light (why?) which I do not use for that
reason.

What type should I get and is there a recommended source for used
ones? B&H Photo wants nearly $100 for two new ones, which is insane.

(And if anyone wants to get rid of half a dozen or so film holders,
let me know.)
.

Of course, dunno where you are, Scott. But check the craigslist category
for photography stuff in your area. I myself have picked up a number of 4x5
film holders through craigslist.

Old November 12th 09, 08:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

"Scott Norwood" wrote in message
I'm in the market for some more 4x5 film holders. I have
a mix of
"Fidelity" and "Riteway" holders that are both fine. I
also have
a 1-2 of each that leak light (why?) which I do not use
for that
reason.

What type should I get and is there a recommended source
for used
ones? B&H Photo wants nearly $100 for two new ones, which
is insane.

(And if anyone wants to get rid of half a dozen or so film
holders,
let me know.)

Currently all the holders are made by the same factory,
I doubt if there is any difference. If you are buying old
holders easily the best are Riteway. I have a ton of old
holders and have tested them for correct film position and
uniformity. The only ones that are pretty consistently
accurate are the Riteway holder. Wooden holders may be OK
but tend to warp. I also have a bunch of old plastic holders
where not one side of one holder is correct.
Can you tell where the light leak is? There are two
common sources: one is worn plush where the dark slide goes
in, the other is a problem with the "gasket" at the loading
end. The flexible tape on the loading flap is not important,
the flap has an undercut section that forms a light trap
when its closed.
To test the plush place the holder flat and look back
through the loading flap. Shine a flashlight into the gap
where the dark slide goes with the slide removed. You should
not see any light.
Warping can also cause leaks because the holder faces do
not seal against the camera back. You can spot these by
taking the lens board off the camera and looking back at the
holder while shining a strong light around the periphery of
the back.
There was a guy, maybe still in business, who repaired
old holders and made custom new ones. I don't know what he
charges. Worth a try.

Alan Brubaker

AWB Enterprises
33320 Gafford Road