FA: Canon EOS 5D

Old September 5th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Mark

Default FA: Canon EOS 5D

http://snipr.com/CanonEOS5D

Old September 5th 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

Mark wrote:
http://snipr.com/CanonEOS5D

I have no interest in purchasing a canon eos5d. I would love to use one
for a while, but my photographic interests could never justify such a
purchase.
However, if I were to have such an interest I'm sure bidding for one on
ebay would be the ideal way to go, after touring the neighborhood to
make sure there wasn't a yard sale on one somewhere.
Dave Cohen
Old September 5th 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
just bob

"Dave Cohen" wrote in message
Mark wrote:
http://snipr.com/CanonEOS5D

I have no interest in purchasing a canon eos5d. I would love to use one
for a while, but my photographic interests could never justify such a
purchase.

A year ago when the double-rebates were on I had a 5D for a while but sold
on ebay it as it was not going to replace my 1D (a used 1D2N did that, for
the same price) and the lack of a pop-up flash didn't make it a good general
use walk-around camera (my old 300D does that OK). However, IMO, the IQ on
the 5D was bettered only by the 1D3 or 1Ds2 so I wouldn't mind having one
for occasional use if the price was say $1000. Of course for the studio pro
who can't justify a 1Ds2 and/or doesn't need the build-quality of a 1-series
body, it is the best available camera, even for a lot of people with Nikon
glass.

Old September 5th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

just bob kilbyfan@aoldotcom wrote:

A year ago when the double-rebates were on I had a 5D for a while but sold
on ebay it as it was not going to replace my 1D (a used 1D2N did that, for
the same price) and the lack of a pop-up flash didn't make it a good general
use walk-around camera (my old 300D does that OK).

Fancy that! I think I've used the pop-up flash maybe three times,
twice to just see if it worked and once to check for that old
"streaks" bug.

If I need flash, I can just as well use a swivel and tilt flash
head with enough power for bouncing.

-Wolfgang
Old September 6th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
frederick

Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
just bob kilbyfan@aoldotcom wrote:

A year ago when the double-rebates were on I had a 5D for a while but sold
on ebay it as it was not going to replace my 1D (a used 1D2N did that, for
the same price) and the lack of a pop-up flash didn't make it a good general
use walk-around camera (my old 300D does that OK).

Fancy that! I think I've used the pop-up flash maybe three times,
twice to just see if it worked and once to check for that old
"streaks" bug.

If I need flash, I can just as well use a swivel and tilt flash
head with enough power for bouncing.

Lugging an accessory flash around for occasional use for
catch light or fill flash is a PITA.
Hasselblad put a pop-up flash in the H3d - if it's okay to
put such an "amateur" feature in that camera, then IMO it's
a cop-out for Canon and Nikon not to include a pop-up flash
in their pro cameras.
Old September 6th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
acl

On Sep 6, 3:41 am, frederick wrote:
Lugging an accessory flash around for occasional use for
catch light or fill flash is a PITA.
Hasselblad put a pop-up flash in the H3d - if it's okay to
put such an "amateur" feature in that camera, then IMO it's
a cop-out for Canon and Nikon not to include a pop-up flash
in their pro cameras.

That may be true, but I personally would prefer it if my D200 had no
flash. I've used it only to check that it works (I don't like flash,
and don't know how to use fill-in flash effectively anyway-I don't
want to learn either, I'm afraid). I cycle at least 10-15km every day
with the camera hanging from its strap on my side, and it's happened
that I popped it up by mistake without realising it. It also happened
once while putting it in a bag. If that happens and I manage to break
it, the camera will have to be sent for repairs! So I'd rather it
didn't have it (or at least had some way of locking it down)... I
mean, the camera is an absolute tank, but it can become almost useless
just by shearing off a little plastic popup flash, supported by two
plastic legs... Stupid.

It has crossed my mind to just glue the thing closed...

Old September 6th 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Matt Clara

"frederick" wrote in message
[...]

No, pop up flash sucks for everything except sucky family shots from sucky
photographers. Period. I have the D200, and wouldn't use the pop up except
for shots I could give two ****s about (even then, I'd just up the ISO). If
you want pop up flash, shoot with point and shoots, otherwise, you're
wasting your time.

--
www.mattclara.com

Old September 6th 07, 03:45 AM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
DoN. Nichols

According to Matt Clara :

[ ... ]

No, pop up flash sucks for everything except sucky family shots from sucky
photographers. Period. I have the D200, and wouldn't use the pop up except
for shots I could give two ****s about (even then, I'd just up the ISO). If
you want pop up flash, shoot with point and shoots, otherwise, you're
wasting your time.

Well ... there are times when it is nice to have it, when it is
just too heavy to carry a real flash (like my SB-800). An example
(during unofficial wedding photography at a day-after gathering)
included the sister of the bride and her to-be (now husband) hauled me
out of the building and wanted me to shoot them against the background
of the bay (Cape Cod Bay, FWIW). Unfortunately, the sunlight was at an
angle which was casting shadows on their faces, so I popped up the
built-in flash on the D70, and it did a very nice job as fill flash,
turning what could have been a ghastly shot into a rather nicely
balanced shot. Upping the ISO would not help here, since it was the
direction of the light which was the problem, rather than a sufficiency
of light.

I often (for shots of my cats) take two exposures -- the first
without built-in flash, and the second with, and typically prefer the
one without flash. Taking the time to dig the SB-800 out of the camera
bag is usually sufficient to lose the shot. :-)

But for anything serious, I would certainly prefer the SB-800 in
bounce mode. (Well ... there are the shots with the old Medical Nikkor,
which has a built-in ring flash, but that is a different game. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old September 6th 07, 04:17 AM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 22:16:51 -0400, Matt Clara wrote:

Lugging an accessory flash around for occasional use for catch light or
fill flash is a PITA.
Hasselblad put a pop-up flash in the H3d - if it's okay to put such an
"amateur" feature in that camera, then IMO it's a cop-out for Canon and
Nikon not to include a pop-up flash in their pro cameras.

No, pop up flash sucks for everything except sucky family shots from sucky
photographers. Period. I have the D200, and wouldn't use the pop up except
for shots I could give two ****s about (even then, I'd just up the ISO). If
you want pop up flash, shoot with point and shoots, otherwise, you're
wasting your time.

Randall, is this you? Was the reincarnation free of pain?

Old September 6th 07, 11:23 AM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Mark B.

"frederick" wrote in message
Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
Lugging an accessory flash around for occasional use for catch light or
fill flash is a PITA.
Hasselblad put a pop-up flash in the H3d - if it's okay to put such an
"amateur" feature in that camera, then IMO it's a cop-out for Canon and
Nikon not to include a pop-up flash in their pro cameras.

The puny built-in is no substitute for a full-size flash. It's ok as fill
outdoors or very well-lit indoors, but as a primary light source it's no
good.

Mark