C41RA bleach one-shot

Old May 29th 12, 11:34 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Thor Lancelot Simon

Default C41RA bleach one-shot

For the small amount of film I now process, I've switched from C41
to the C41RA process. The RA process uses faster bleach and fixer
solutions, for a total process time of about 8 minutes.

I am using the solutions one-shot in a Jobo. The "RA" bleach is
extremely expensive (though the Trebla version is slightly cheaper
than the Kodak). This is probably because its replenishment rate
is 1/10 that of the standard Flexicolor Bleach III (5ml per roll rather
than 52ml). In fact, the replenishment rate is so low it approximates
the amount of solution lost by carry-over into the fixer in a tank system,
though it might not in a large dip-and-dunk.

Kodak's process documentation does not give a one-shot capacity for the
RA bleach or fixer -- it gives only the general advice that the capacity
of bleach and fixer solutions used one-shot is twice that of the developer.

I am sure the capacity of the RA bleach is not 10 times that of the
standard bleach, but what is it? I know with small solution volumes
capacity can have as much to do with build-up of byproducts and carry-over
from the previous process step as with exhaustion, but I would hope I
could, for example, reuse a tank of bleach at least twice, or use minimum
volumes to cover the film with my (carefully-leveled) Jobo processor and
tanks. By the replenishment rate (5ml per roll) both practices look like
they should be just fine, but by Kodak's "twice the developer" instructions
they are not.

Opinions? I could call 800-242-2424, but I wonder if there is still
anyone there who knows enough to help me when the written documentation
can not.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon
"The liberties...lose much of their value whenever those who have greater
Old June 5th 12, 05:06 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Thor Lancelot Simon

In article ,
sreenath wrote:

I don't have any real answers to give, but I can suggest that if you
are willing to mix the bleach from bulk chemicals, it could be really
cheap.

I am not aware of any publically disclosed formula for the rapid-access
bleach, though manufacturers like Trebla seem to have cloned it. Are you?

--
Thor Lancelot Simon

"We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others." - H.L.A. Hart

a mild bleach Lew In The Darkroom 6 February 19th 09 07:54 PM
Kodak C613 Shot-to-shot time arifi Digital Point & Shoot Cameras 0 February 27th 08 08:35 AM
iodine bleach, selenium--cause unwanted split? QueenAdelle via PhotoKB.com In The Darkroom 1 October 31st 06 05:38 AM
Does B&W bleach affect color emulsion? Ed In The Darkroom 1 June 29th 06 11:04 AM
Faster SD card cuts shot-to-shot time bk Digital Photography 3 September 11th 04 05:11 AM