I'VE DONE SOMETHING TERRIBLE !

Old March 13th 12, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Dyer-Bennet

Default I'VE DONE SOMETHING TERRIBLE !

Chloe writes:

On 9/03/2012 3:36 AM, Annika1980 wrote:
On Mar 6, 4:00 pm, wrote:
On 5/03/2012 2:34 AM, Annika1980 wrote:

On Mar 1, 12:11 am, tony wrote:

You've formed a Tennessee Ashton Kutcher fan club. Shame!

It's worse than that. I put a Nikon 14-24 f/2.8G lens on my FAB 5D2.
I feel so dirty!

Here are a few pics I've taken with that combo in the past 3 days.
http://bretdouglas.smugmug.com/Photo...1767869_vdPZhq

It was said in Popular Photography when Canon first introduced
streamline 35mm bodies way back when A1's ruled that if you could use
Nikon glass on a Canon body, you'd have the perfect camera.

Chloe

That may have been true back in the day, but not now. The Nikon 14-24
is the only lens that bests anything that Canon offers. My advice is
to rent this lens for a few days and watch your photography improve
immediately. Then cry your eyes out as you drive to the UPS store to
send it back.

Here's the news flash mate...
I've owned one since 2009. Any Nikon shooter working full frame needs
one of these for real estate or inside event shots. The only way to
stand in a corner and get the whole room in without it looking like
you're in a fish bowl.

Wrong.

I was shooting my kitchen (which is unfortunately small) last night with
my Sigma 12-24mm full-frame on my D700. Now, first, I *do* get just a
little barrel distortion at 12mm that's visible when I carefully set up
square to a wall and there are reference lines all through the picture.

But this is easily corrected in Photoshop.

(The Nikon lens is clearly much better, but at that price it had darned
well better be. The Sigma is what I could afford, and for about $800
when I bought it I'm very pleased.)

Serious Annika. No working professional (well not unless you call
wedding photographers professionals) can do without one. Ditto that
for a 24-70 f2.8 and 70 -200 f2.8. There's a few fixed length lenses
I've got for preference with head shots but these are the essential
glass I never leave home without and Canon have no answer for.

Not a working professional, so I can't claim to be a counter-example.

But Oleg Volk doesn't have anything similar to the 14-24 (he's shooting
Canon), and Kyle Cassidy doesn't, and they both ARE working
professionals.

(I've got the 24-70 and the 70-200/2.8 from Nikon, and they're really
really nice, certainly. Both were upgrades to Tokina lenses I was
pretty happy with on film, back when.)
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old March 14th 12, 01:49 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 12:53:56 +0000, Bruce wrote:
: Robert Coe wrote:
:
: On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 10:39:07 +0000, Bruce wrote:
: : Annika1980 wrote:
: :
: : On Mar 9, 1:24*pm, Bruce wrote:
: : Version II is optically as good as the Canon but
: : the Nikon's VR performs better than the Canon's IS, typically
: : offering a stop more in terms of stabilisation.
: :
: : Horse ****.
: :
: : If you can't accept the facts, say "Horse ****".
:
: Actually, Bret should have said "Bull ****". "Horse ****" has more to
: do with presentation than with substance. As in, "For five days or so,
: Canon's horse**** Web site has produced a 404 error when one tries to
: download their latest software updates."
:
:
: Have you tried other Canon sites or just the US site?
:
: Also try he
: http://software.canon-europe.com/

I had thought about trying a non-US site, but as of today Canon has taken
those links down. The updates weren't ready for prime time, I guess.

Bob
Old March 15th 12, 03:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chloe

On 10/03/2012 4:57 AM, Bruce wrote:
Pete wrote:

As in "The canons of fair play" or "Cannon fodder"?

Or something closely approximating to "a loose Canon". ;-)

Is that anything like the loose stuff floating around in those 24 -70
F2.8 Canon lenses? I always wondered why Father would say things like
"Pass me the loose canon sweetie" when referring to any of his Canon
zoom lenses. As I recall the "Environmental sealing" in his 70-200 f2.8
wasn't all that resistant to sucking in fuel gunk at drag race meets either.

I guess you get that from zoom lenses that claim much and deliver
little. Maybe its only Olympus stuff you can run under the tap?

Hey Annika... Has the mirror fallen out of your 5D yet? LOL. I was
almost beyond bladder control with laughter when this fellow calling
himself a wedding photographer and charging $5000 for the day (which he
refunded $4000 of after his 'Professional' 5D ruined the day.

Well, I really got amused when he took the lens off to see what was
wrong and the mirror fell out! Absolutely hilarious. I still have
trouble controlling my laughter just thinking about the look on his
face. Fancy someone claiming "I couldn't afford two cameras at the
prices I charge".

Maybe giving most of it back when his lone camera dies is the real
reason. LOL from that one. And you recommend them do you?

Chloe
Old March 15th 12, 03:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chloe

On 13/03/2012 4:50 AM, Bruce wrote:
Pete wrote:

A mediocre lens in the hands of a good photographer will always trounce
a superb lens in the hands of an average photographer. I would much
rather Bret concentrate on selling his excellent photography than make
comments about "lens trouncing", despite the endless amusement provided
by the latter.

Agree 100%. Bret's work is more than good enough to publish. We have
already seen enough high quality material from him for several books,
he just needs the encouragement to do it.

I think it takes more than "good photography" to successfully publish a
book of photographs. I have some vague recollections of a certain
European fellow who spent large sums of money going on a Polar
expedition. Trying to sell his photo books for some astronomical price
without much success.

A German pair I came across in an Australian movie studio zoo
photographing tame kangaroos with what looked like $30,000 worth of band
new Canon gear didn't do to well either.

The production problem is in the quality. All but the very best (and
expensive to make) Photo books made from photographs fall apart quite
easily. The cheaper ones made on laser printers don't last too long
either as the pages swell and distort with the changing seasons. Rodents
get a taste for the Chinese "bonded leather" too I believe.

The other problem is getting off your backside and finding worthwhile
subject matter. That's the real killer. I think that backpack full of
iced donuts and big macs Annika needs to carry everywhere wouldn't leave
enough room for any cameras, much less lenses, somehow.

Chloe
Old March 18th 12, 09:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chloe

On 19/03/2012 4:09 AM, Annika1980 wrote:
On Mar 15, 10:48 am, wrote:

The other problem is getting off your backside and finding worthwhile
subject matter. That's the real killer. I think that backpack full of
iced donuts and big macs Annika needs to carry everywhere wouldn't leave
enough room for any cameras, much less lenses, somehow.

I probably take more pics in a month than you do in a year. The trunk
of my car is my camera bag. As for lenses, I'm down to a few.
Mostly, I'll shoot with either the Forgotten 400mm f/5.6L or the 100mm
f/2.8L Macro. I also have an 85mm f/1.8 that I rarely use as well as
the 65mm MP-E Macro and the old standby, my 28-135 IS, which pales in
IQ compared to any of my other lenses.
I had to give up my 70-200 f/2.8L and I miss it dearly. Also, my
17-40 f/4 was stolen so I really don't have any good wide angle
options.

Boasting and self indulgence is something I see a lot of in your
postings. There's a serious difference between shooting more pics in a
month than I do in a year when all but a scarce few of the pics I shoot
in a year earn me a living.

Your boasting reminds me of a filly advertising her wedding photography
qualities in my area. Wedding Photographers are like weeds here... Get
rid of one up and two more pop up!

"I'll give you 4 hours of photography and 500 images on disc for $750".

She's got the same issue as your boasting luv. It's not how slow you are
at taking your finger off the stutter button that matters but how many
of the shots you're lucky enough to get that are worth keeping. That's
what really matters!

So is trunk/gadget bag the one in the little Nissan or the one in the
Toyota Land Cruiser? If its the cruiser, I'll take my hat off to you,
pins and all!

Chloe