Did I buy the worst two Nikon cameras (or are they all this bad?)

Old October 13th 07, 11:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.marketplace.digital
ASAAR

Default Did I buy the worst two Nikon cameras (or are they all this bad?)

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 21:55:25 -0700, C J Campbell, breathing heavily,
wrote:

Nikon is a good brand name and Costco is okay, but Costco does not
carry Nikon's best cameras and Nikon's point & shoot cameras are not
special. However, you should see the *really* fragile junk put out by
the likes of Fuji and Minolta. Fujis are notorious for the slightest
moisture, even condensation or breathing on the camera, causing
irreparable damage.

You might want to mention some specific models, as I've used
several of Fujis (mostly the S-series), and far from being fragile,
they are quite robust, and have performed well for several years.
Do you have first-hand experience, or did a birdy whisper some
nonsense into your ear, causing a wee bit of irreparable brain
damage from the accompanying traces of moisture?

Old October 14th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.marketplace.digital
C J Campbell

wrote:

Nikon is a good brand name and Costco is okay, but Costco does not
carry Nikon's best cameras and Nikon's point & shoot cameras are not
special. However, you should see the *really* fragile junk put out by
the likes of Fuji and Minolta. Fujis are notorious for the slightest
moisture, even condensation or breathing on the camera, causing
irreparable damage.

You might want to mention some specific models, as I've used
several of Fujis (mostly the S-series), and far from being fragile,
they are quite robust, and have performed well for several years.
Do you have first-hand experience, or did a birdy whisper some
nonsense into your ear, causing a wee bit of irreparable brain
damage from the accompanying traces of moisture?

I have owned five Fuji digitals. I will never buy another one. All of
them either died of battery overheating or they stopped working after
being exposed to Puget Sound fog.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old October 14th 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.marketplace.digital
ASAAR

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 08:48:22 -0700, C J Campbell wrote:

You might want to mention some specific models, as I've used
several of Fujis (mostly the S-series), and far from being fragile,
they are quite robust, and have performed well for several years.
Do you have first-hand experience, or did a birdy whisper some
nonsense into your ear, causing a wee bit of irreparable brain
damage from the accompanying traces of moisture?

I have owned five Fuji digitals. I will never buy another one. All of
them either died of battery overheating or they stopped working after
being exposed to Puget Sound fog.

Fuji makes DSLRs as well as several different lines of P&S
cameras. Is there some reason you don't want to identify the ones
you've used? ALL of the ones I've used are extremely battery
efficient, so there should be no problems with overheating unless
less efficient, battery draining models are used, many pictures are
taken rapidly using the flash, especially if lithium AA batteries
(which can produce a lot of heat) are used. I suspect that dense
fog isn't kind to more brands of cameras than just some of Fuji's
models. Equally strange, is that you'd choose to not identify the
cameras that you deem to be good for use in dense fog. Perhaps
you're not really confident that they're much more reliable than
Fuji's cameras when used in highly humid environments?

Old October 15th 07, 06:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Jeanette Guire

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 16:51:09 -0400, Scott Schuckert wrote:

The battery doors are uniformly fragile on almost all digital cameras;
the Nikons you mention are perhaps a little bit worse than average. I
have experience with the 3100; with careful use it can be made to hold
up. But as you mention, the stupidity is that the door is not designed
to be easily replaced.

I found this wonderful thread while looking up how to fix my son's Nikon
Coolpix 3100 battery latch door camera body broken problem.

I latched onto the paperclip idea but nobody said which glue to use. I
bought Locktite superglue and Locktite epoxy but I think one or both of
those glues melted the camera body a bit. The camera body plastic is pitted
slightly and indented where the glue was wet but now has dried.

Does anyone know what the camera body plastic is made up of? The package
insert says not to use the Locktite Quick Set Epoxy on "polyethylene" or
"polypropylene".

Also, the articles didn't say WHAT SIZE drill bit to use so I used a #55
(0.052 inh) drill bit which seemed to work to drill the holes in the ribs
in the inside of the Nikon Coolpix camera body to hold the long legs of the
paperclip.

In addition, nobody said which dremel bit to use, and I munged up the
camera body by using one that was too large and unwieldy.

You can see a dozen step-by-step photos of my operation to recycle my son's
Nikon Coolpix 3100 camera at http://usera.imagecave.com/coolpixfixer/
Old October 15th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.marketplace.digital
BIC

"Linda Sands" wrote in message
I thought Nikon was a good brand name so I bought from Costco two Nikon
cameras over the years - both of which have been fraught with failure. I
even read the reviews before I bought which never mentioned that these
Nikon cameras were pieces of ... well ... you know. They don't work.

Nikon replaced my Coolpix 3100 once under warranty and then it broke about
a year or so later. Same spot. The battery latch door has a flimsy loop of
plastic which eventually snaps off necessitating the entire body being
swapped out at the factory. I can't believe they made the Coolpix series
break like that but there's no way it can't break, it's so badly designed.
A kindergarten kid could recognize the flaw from the outside just by
looking at it. Yet the reviewers all missed it.

I figured this was a fluke until I bought the Nikon Coolpix 5000.

I bought the Nikon Coolpix 5000 because the reviewers said it was sturdy,
having a METAL body. Whew. No more broken flimsy plastic battery doors, I
thought. Wrong. My Nikon Coolpix 5000 died often, but this time it was the
battery itself. After three or four or five batteries, I gave up, since
the
replacement batteries would end up costing more than the camera was worth.
That Nikon Coolpix EATS up batteries! They worked fine for the first six
months or so. But then they died like they were placed on a charcoal fire.
I ended up having to leave the batteries on the charger because they'd
have
nothing left in them after two or three days, they were so bad. After a
while, I couldn't get a dozen pictures out of the camera even hot off the
charger, .before the battery died.

Funny thing, a friend has the Nikon D50 and he says it works fine. The
battery lasts days and the battery door hasn't fallen off yet.

What gives? Did I happen to buy the two worst Nikon cameras on the planet
or did the reviewer miss a biggie or is my experience just a fluke or does
Costco only sell the Nikons that nobody wants but the reviewers don't know
that or is the entire Nikon Coolpix lineup a sham ... or what?

NO,

you have just been unlucky...........or heavy handed.

Old October 15th 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital
Gary G

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 09:43:30 -0700, Linda Sands
wrote:

I thought Nikon was a good brand name so I bought from Costco two Nikon
cameras over the years - both of which have been fraught with failure. I
even read the reviews before I bought which never mentioned that these
Nikon cameras were pieces of ... well ... you know. They don't work.

Nikon replaced my Coolpix 3100 once under warranty and then it broke about
a year or so later. Same spot. The battery latch door has a flimsy loop of
plastic which eventually snaps off necessitating the entire body being
swapped out at the factory. I can't believe they made the Coolpix series to
[...]

Costco is not going to carry higher end cameras. There is a dividing
line between consumer and pro-sumer cameras. The CP5000 that I had
operated perfectly for over four years on the original set of three
Li-Ion batteries. I also had a Nikon CP990 that had similar success.
Currently, I have a P5000 with a Nikon battery and a Delkin battery
clone battery of the Nikon. The first Delkin was DOA--would not take
a charge. Second one has been fine. Total time so far on camera and
batteries is about one year and 900 pix. My DSLR is Nikon D1x with
two spare batteries. These work perfectly and so do the chargers for
either camera. D1x has taken about 1800 pix...no problems.

One feature that really eats battery life is reviewing pix on the LCD.
It is indeed handy at times but is best done after transfer to
notebook PC.

I like the hot shoe feature and use a Nikon SB-400 on the P5000.
Works great.

Kiss French. Drink California.

gary at gaugler dot com
Old October 16th 07, 06:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Jeanette Guire

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 18:54:59 +0100, BIC wrote:
you have just been unlucky...........or heavy handed.

It's a VERY common problem BIC. Google for the Nikon coolpix battery door
latch and you'll see many people have the same problem. For every one you
find, there are hundreds who don't know about the usenet or the forums.
Even Nikon's own forums are fraught with sorry sad little coolpix owners.

Look at the design in the photos of the notorious Nikon Coolpix 2100 and
3100 series cameras. You, like most others in this thread, will have to
conclude the little flimsy plastic loop is bound to break under almost ANY
circumstance.

Did you actually look at the pictures?
Old October 16th 07, 07:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Jeff

Jeanette Guire wrote:

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 18:54:59 +0100, BIC wrote:

you have just been unlucky...........or heavy handed.

It's a VERY common problem BIC. Google for the Nikon coolpix battery door
latch and you'll see many people have the same problem. For every one you
find, there are hundreds who don't know about the usenet or the forums.
Even Nikon's own forums are fraught with sorry sad little coolpix owners.

Or switch to Canon. Canon has had a substantial lead on digital
technology that the others have been playing catch up with for years.
And the ergonomics of Canon are pretty good. I'm *really* hard on
cameras and my Canon A95 is still ticking (so's my Rebel and elph). It's
had a *lot* of exposures clicked through it.

Jeff

Old October 16th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,misc.consumers.frugal-living
SMS

Jeff wrote:
Jeanette Guire wrote:

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 18:54:59 +0100, BIC wrote:

you have just been unlucky...........or heavy handed.

It's a VERY common problem BIC. Google for the Nikon coolpix battery door
latch and you'll see many people have the same problem. For every one you
find, there are hundreds who don't know about the usenet or the forums.
Even Nikon's own forums are fraught with sorry sad little coolpix owners.

Or switch to Canon. Canon has had a substantial lead on digital
technology that the others have been playing catch up with for years.
And the ergonomics of Canon are pretty good. I'm *really* hard on
cameras and my Canon A95 is still ticking (so's my Rebel and elph). It's
had a *lot* of exposures clicked through it.

It's true, the A series is remarkably robust for such an inexpensive
line of cameras.