Santa Blabbed

Old December 15th 04, 08:33 AM
David J Taylor

dvus wrote:
[]
Possibly, but then why is it ok with USB 1.1 cards?

What do you mean by this? You can read 512MB if you plus the reader into
a USB 1.1 port? As Wolfgang said, the CF cards are neither USB 1.0, 1.1
or 2.0.

David

Old December 18th 04, 02:24 PM
dvus

Justín Käse wrote:
In posted on Tue, 14 Dec
2004 18:19:27 -0500, dvus wrote:

Yes, I see yours is backwards compatible with USB 1.1. I just wonder
if mine is forwards compatible with USB 2.0

I think that's called precognition in metaphysical parlance. g

I see your point, the compatibility would have to be in the hands of the
card manufacturer, allowing it to be read by older readers.

dvus

Old December 18th 04, 02:30 PM
dvus

David J Taylor wrote:
dvus wrote:
[]
Possibly, but then why is it ok with USB 1.1 cards?

What do you mean by this? You can read 512MB if you plus the reader
into a USB 1.1 port? As Wolfgang said, the CF cards are neither USB
1.0, 1.1 or 2.0.

Ok, then I guess the question becomes "Why will my older reader read 256 Mb
cards but not 512 Mb cards?"

I suppose it may have been built unable to address over 256 Mb, if I could
find the "manual" that came with it I might be able to verify this. Or, it
could be a faulty pin, as WW suggested, however it seems the chances of
losing only the pin(s) that allow addressing higher capacity cards seems
remote.

--
dvus

Old December 20th 04, 11:14 PM
dvus

Bill wrote:
dvus wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:
dvus wrote:
[]
Possibly, but then why is it ok with USB 1.1 cards?

What do you mean by this? You can read 512MB if you plus the reader
into a USB 1.1 port? As Wolfgang said, the CF cards are neither USB
1.0, 1.1 or 2.0.

Ok, then I guess the question becomes "Why will my older reader read
256 Mb cards but not 512 Mb cards?"

I suppose it may have been built unable to address over 256 Mb, if I
could find the "manual" that came with it I might be able to verify
this. Or, it could be a faulty pin, as WW suggested, however it
seems the chances of losing only the pin(s) that allow addressing
higher capacity cards seems remote.

I believe it's an addressing problem. Some of the older readers didn't
anticipate the need for greater than 256mb cards. Some cameras can't
read SD cards that are 512+mb.

As I posted elsewhere, an answer from SanDisk expresses an incompatibility
situation. They said:

"We have seen some problems with our Newer Cards not reading correctly in
the SDDR-75. (Extreme) (Ultra2) (All new Cards) These newer cards are much
faster then our older cards and the reader may be having problems reading
these faster cards."

Guess I'm screwed with the SDDR-75.

dvus

Old December 21st 04, 09:16 AM
David J Taylor

dvus wrote:
Bill wrote:
dvus wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:
dvus wrote:
[]
[...]

Well, at least the good news is that a new reader is unlikely to break the
bank!

Cheers,
David

Old December 26th 04, 04:24 PM
dvus

David J Taylor wrote:
dvus wrote:
Bill wrote:
dvus wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:
dvus wrote:
[]
[...]

Yup, you're right, I went and got one at Best Buy. It works fine.

--
dvus