Why the Nikon F6?

Old September 19th 04, 01:25 AM
Justin F. Knotzke

Alan Browne wrote:

I'm also (while happy that Nikon have launched a major new film camera)
curious to know how people are reacting to it.

I bought a used F5 about 3 months ago.

I don't get the F6 _at all_.

The prediction/rumours was that the F6 would have a digital/film
back and would have an F5 body. If that had been true, I would have
bought one.

I don't see any reason to buy an F6. I like the F5's bulk. I like a
heavy camera. If I did buy the F6, the first thing I would do is get the
battery grip to go with it.

I spent 3 days reading the specs and people's comments and I still
don't get it.

Could someone answer the following for me:

How will the F6 work with the SB-800 ? Will it be able to remotely
fire those flashes in master/slave mode?

I assume the DX lenses are useless also?

If the F6 could work the SB-800's remote abilities, THEN maybe I
could see an advantage to selling an F5.. But with pocket wizards...

Justin F. Knotzke

http://www.shampoo.ca

Old September 19th 04, 01:38 AM
William Graham

"Tony" wrote in message
m...
For one thing Nikon seems to be finally learning that a camera does not
have to weigh more than a car to be "rugged" - so I predict that among

those
Nikon users who plan to stick with film the F6 will be pretty popular.

They
will continue to say Canon makes toys though and claim Nikon waited until
the technology was "right" for smaller lighter bodies.

There is one, little talked about advantage of the heavier bodies....They
are a little more stable for hand-held shooting.....IOW, if you don't have a
tripod, you can take slightly longer exposures with a cast aluminum 2 pound
body than you can with a 1/2 pound plastic one......This is especially true
if you are older and "shakier".......

Old September 19th 04, 01:42 AM
William Graham

"Scott Chapin" wrote in message

"Gordon Moat" wrote in message
Scott Chapin wrote:

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but why would Nikon manufacture the

F6?

There is still a market for high end film cameras. Therefore, there are

still
profits to be made.

With
digital technology moving the way it is, is their anyone desirous of
spending the motherlode on a new film based camera?

According to sales figures for cameras, the short answer is yes.

However,
it
seems that you are already sold on direct digital, so I doubt you would

be
customer for an F6.

Would it really offer
features that you can't live without, if you are already shooting with

an F5
and waiting for digital to be reasonably perfected?

I only rent these when needed. What I found was that I often found an

F100
easier to use, though an F5 is slightly more capable under some

situations. So
if a rental for an F6 came up, I would probably rent one prior to

getting
an
F100, or an F5. It might even be the situation that I would like one

enough to
buy one, though I always try to rent and try before I buy.

Scott Chapin

When one comes to a store near you, go check it out, and see what you

think.
You might be surprised . . . or not.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com/gallery.html Updated!

Thanks Gordon,

Actually it's good to know that film is still solid. So many are blindly
bashing it in other forums. I had just figured that there wouldn't be a
strong market for expensive 35mm still cameras, though I don't know what

the
street price of the F6 will be.

Since photography is an, "Art form", there will always be a market for film,
just as there are artists who still draw with charcoal and paper, even
though there are wonderful tools for doing color air-brush painting........

Old September 19th 04, 01:50 AM
William Graham

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message I also expect
that the real market for the F6 is pros who are buying D2x
cameras. Having the same look and feel, lens mount, and accessories
for both film and digital will be a big boost for them. I think it would
have been nice (but confusing) to name it the F2x as in film, model 2x
to compliment the D2x (digital model 2x).

Geoff.

Well, Nikon has been making the "F" cameras for 45 years now, (since 1959)
and the F model has traditionally been the top of their line in professional
bodies.....I think they wanted to continue that tradition......