Nikon scanner MF slide/neg holder

Old February 18th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Default Nikon scanner MF slide/neg holder

Anyone know why Nikon's FH-869G MF neg/slide holder with glass has been
back-ordered for at least two months? I have the LS-9000ED and have my
name on the list at B&H, but everyplace I've looked is out of stock.
I'm wondering if this is by chance a side-effect of their recent
marketing decision to forego film cameras, etc.
Old February 18th 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

David J. Littleboy wrote:
Anyone know why Nikon's FH-869G MF neg/slide holder with glass has
been back-ordered for at least two months? I have the LS-9000ED
and have my name on the list at B&H, but everyplace I've looked is
out of stock. I'm wondering if this is by chance a side-effect of
their recent marketing decision to forego film cameras, etc.

It could be just that so few are sold that it's not worth stocking
it...

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

I thought about that, but I put my name on B&H's list to be notified
when it is in stock, and they offer special orders for other items that
they normally don't stock, so I'm kinda doubting it.

--
As soon as you all elect me "Benevolent Dictator", all your problems
will be solved.
Old February 18th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

TheDaveŠ wrote:

Anyone know why Nikon's FH-869G MF neg/slide holder with glass has been
back-ordered for at least two months? I have the LS-9000ED and have my
name on the list at B&H, but everyplace I've looked is out of stock.
I'm wondering if this is by chance a side-effect of their recent
marketing decision to forego film cameras, etc.

I'm likewise frustrated. I am waiting to order the 9000ED until the
glass holder shows up. I may just break down and get the wet holder (a
modified Nikon mount sold by Cachet (via B&H) but it's $500 plus you
need the supplied to use (another $100 or so for a "starter kit").

I wrote to BH asking them to "pump it in" but they said they're waiting
for delivery...

I'll be on Long Island at the end of the month, and in Wash DC in late
March either occasion would be great to have the unit shipped to me
while there (I'm in Canada, by getting the 9000 in the US I'll save over
CAD$1000 even after paying GST/PST and shipping. Nikon Canada are true
idiots when it comes to this).

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old February 18th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

TheDaveŠ wrote:

David J. Littleboy wrote:

Anyone know why Nikon's FH-869G MF neg/slide holder with glass has
been back-ordered for at least two months? I have the LS-9000ED
and have my name on the list at B&H, but everyplace I've looked is
out of stock. I'm wondering if this is by chance a side-effect of
their recent marketing decision to forego film cameras, etc.

It could be just that so few are sold that it's not worth stocking
it...

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

I thought about that, but I put my name on B&H's list to be notified
when it is in stock, and they offer special orders for other items that
they normally don't stock, so I'm kinda doubting it.

Me too (on list). I gather there's quite a backlog. I wish Nikon would
get off their ass.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old February 18th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

I was lucky to get the glass-holder......but the holder for mounted MF
slides has been in
back order for long time now.

Max

Old February 23rd 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Default Nikon scanner MF slide/neg holder - update

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:37:25 -0500, Alan Browne
wrote:

B&H tell me they expect them in 6-10 weeks. (By e-mail)

I don't know if that is wishful thinking, inviting me to order now and
wait (with the amount charged to my CC or what...

There are other stores that have it in stock.

Or you can make your own by a simple modification
of the stock (glassless) holder.

Here are the directions, from a post on the
Coolscan listserv on Yahoo:

"Rather than spend money on the glass holder,
go to your nearest framer, buy 2 pieces of 3mm
non reflective framing glass cut to 200mm x 62mm.

Go home, gut the glassless holder and put the
glass in with a thin strip of tape down one side
to act as a hinge, non reflective sides facing in.

You now have a perfectly workable glass slide
holder, Newton's Rings don't happen and slides
are flat. If your slides are sharp, your scans
will be too. :-)"

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
Old February 25th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

rafe b wrote:

You now have a perfectly workable glass slide
holder, Newton's Rings don't happen and slides
are flat. If your slides are sharp, your scans
will be too. :-)"

Why would Newton's rings not appear?

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old February 25th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 11:03:22 -0500, Alan Browne
wrote:

rafe b wrote:

You now have a perfectly workable glass slide
holder, Newton's Rings don't happen and slides
are flat. If your slides are sharp, your scans
will be too. :-)"

I can't say, from personal experience.

The words above are not mine, but quoted from
a post on the Yahoo Coolscan forum. Several
folks there have built glass carriers by hacking
the stock glassless MF carrier (FH-869S.)

I think the assumption is that anti-glare glass
is anti-Newton as well. Take that for what it's
worth.

If that's too low-brow for you, you can get
pre-cut AN glass he

http://www.fpointinc.com/glass.htm

Or buy the Nikon glass carrier from a store
that actually has it in stock. (D'oh.)

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
Old February 25th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

wrote:

rafe b wrote:

You now have a perfectly workable glass slide
holder, Newton's Rings don't happen and slides
are flat. If your slides are sharp, your scans
will be too. :-)"

I can't say, from personal experience.

The words above are not mine, but quoted from
a post on the Yahoo Coolscan forum. Several
folks there have built glass carriers by hacking
the stock glassless MF carrier (FH-869S.)

I think the assumption is that anti-glare glass
is anti-Newton as well. Take that for what it's
worth.

Thanks. I want guarantees about "what" something is which is why I'd
just as soon pay for the Nikon widget. I'd also hate to screw up the
original glass holder (although it's not very expensive).

If that's too low-brow for you, you can get
pre-cut AN glass he

http://www.fpointinc.com/glass.htm

Or buy the Nikon glass carrier from a store
that actually has it in stock. (D'oh.)

Since I'm buying from Canada there are only two stores I trust, B&H and
Adorama. Adorama do not have it listed. In Canada it is too expensive.

Thanks,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old February 25th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Alan Browne wrote:
You now have a perfectly workable glass slide holder, Newton's
Rings don't happen and slides are flat. If your slides are
sharp, your scans will be too. :-)"

I can't say, from personal experience.

The words above are not mine, but quoted from a post on the Yahoo
Coolscan forum. Several folks there have built glass carriers by
hacking the stock glassless MF carrier (FH-869S.)

I think the assumption is that anti-glare glass is anti-Newton as
well. Take that for what it's worth.

Thanks. I want guarantees about "what" something is which is why I'd
just as soon pay for the Nikon widget. I'd also hate to screw up the
original glass holder (although it's not very expensive).

*If* it really does work, it sounds intriging. If I were to do it, I
would buy a second non-glass holder, so that I wouldn't screw up the
one I have, and they're only something like $85.

If that's too low-brow for you, you can get pre-cut AN glass he

http://www.fpointinc.com/glass.htm

Or buy the Nikon glass carrier from a store that actually has it
in stock. (D'oh.)

Since I'm buying from Canada there are only two stores I trust, B&H
and Adorama. Adorama do not have it listed. In Canada it is too
expensive.

I found it on Adorama's website a week or so ago, and they listed it as
out-of-stock, also. I have since found it listed as in stock on a
couple other sites, though I wonder if it was a hoax similar to the
less-reputable camera stores saying they have it in stock when they
really don't. One place I bought from before, though, and I may give
them a shot.

As intriging as the short-cut is, I'd rather have the real thing.
Kinda like buying a Dodge Viper and then putting the cheapest tires
possible on it. Ok, bad anology, but still...