Nikon D80 vs D60

Old May 6th 08, 08:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
cocob

Default Nikon D80 vs D60

Can any one help me out~ I've read that the D60 is a step up from the D40x
but can't find anything on the D60 vs the D80! Which one is better?? I'm new
to these cameras, but don't wan't to spend more money in a year or two
because I bought a cheaper one!! thanks!

Old May 6th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

cocob wrote:
Can any one help me out~ I've read that the D60 is a step up from the D40x
but can't find anything on the D60 vs the D80! Which one is better?? I'm new
to these cameras, but don't wan't to spend more money in a year or two
because I bought a cheaper one!! thanks!

The D80 has a bigger brighter viewfinder and autofocuses with more
lenses. It's probably about to be replaced. The D60 is the replacement
for the D50.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old May 6th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
frederick

Paul Furman wrote:
cocob wrote:
Can any one help me out~ I've read that the D60 is a step up from the
D40x
but can't find anything on the D60 vs the D80! Which one is better??
I'm new
to these cameras, but don't wan't to spend more money in a year or two
because I bought a cheaper one!! thanks!

The D80 has a bigger brighter viewfinder and autofocuses with more
lenses. It's probably about to be replaced. The D60 is the replacement
for the D50.

Replacement for the D40x?
IIRC the D60 doesn't have a focus motor.
Old May 6th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington

"cocob" u43438@uwe wrote in message news:83c26a81e0afa@uwe...
Can any one help me out~ I've read that the D60 is a step up from the D40x
but can't find anything on the D60 vs the D80! Which one is better?? I'm
new
to these cameras, but don't wan't to spend more money in a year or two
because I bought a cheaper one!! thanks!

The D80 is "better" in that it's much more advanced, but whether that should
be your criterion for choosing a new camera is another question. The D60,
like the very similar D40 and D40x, is a significantly smaller and lighter
body than the D80, as well as being less expensive. Since you're new to this
type of camera, it seems safe to say that anything in the D40/D40x/D60 line
will satisfy most, and very likely all, of your needs for some time to come.
The D80 has more features and controls than the smaller models have, but
also probably more features and controls than you'll know what to do with.

That said, the D80 has come down in price to a level where it's not that
much more expensive than the D60. This of course is because the D80 has now
been around for a couple of years while the D60 is a brand new model. It's
very possible that you will *never* need the D80's more advanced features.
Keep in mind that the small size and light weight of the D40-series bodies
is a useful feature too.

They all come down in price as new models are introduced. Don't overlook the
original D40, which has most of what the D60 has and is now available at a
real bargain price. Read the (rather opinionated, but still worth
considering) views of Ken Rockwell on the D40 here before you decide:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

Personally I have a D40 and a D80 and I love 'em both, would not want to
give either one up.

Neil

Old May 7th 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
cocob

Neil Harrington wrote:
[...]

Thank you so much for all your infomation. Your site is great, full of info
to learn and will also be very useful when I get a camera.

Kim

Old May 7th 08, 02:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Blinky the Shark

frederick wrote:

Paul Furman wrote:
cocob wrote:
Can any one help me out~ I've read that the D60 is a step up from the
D40x
but can't find anything on the D60 vs the D80! Which one is better??
I'm new
to these cameras, but don't wan't to spend more money in a year or two
because I bought a cheaper one!! thanks!

The D80 has a bigger brighter viewfinder and autofocuses with more
lenses. It's probably about to be replaced. The D60 is the replacement
for the D50.

Replacement for the D40x?
IIRC the D60 doesn't have a focus motor.

The D40X does?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Old May 7th 08, 10:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
frederick

Blinky the Shark wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:

Blinky the Shark wrote:
frederick wrote:

Paul Furman wrote:
cocob wrote:
Can any one help me out~ I've read that the D60 is a step up from
the D40x
but can't find anything on the D60 vs the D80! Which one is
better?? I'm new
to these cameras, but don't wan't to spend more money in a year or
two because I bought a cheaper one!! thanks!
The D80 has a bigger brighter viewfinder and autofocuses with more
lenses. It's probably about to be replaced. The D60 is the
replacement for the D50.

Replacement for the D40x?
IIRC the D60 doesn't have a focus motor.
The D40X does?

No.

I know.

I'm not even going to comment.
(a silent scream is _not_ a comment)
Old May 7th 08, 01:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

"cocob" u43438@uwe wrote:
Can any one help me out~ I've read that the D60 is a step up from the D40x

Arguable. IMO the D60 is the successor of the D40[x] but not a step up.
The D80 is the next step up from the D40[x].

but can't find anything on the D60 vs the D80! Which one is better??

Better as to what requirements or criteria? Even the D40 is smaller and
lighter than the D80, therefore it must be better, right?

D60 versus D80 is basically the difference between latest entry level
model versus 1 1/2 year old 'enthusiasts' model. For details about how
many features trickled down from the enthusiast to the entry level over
those 1 1/2 years and if they are of any interest to you I suggest you
compare those two cameras side by side on e.g. dpreview.

jue