Nikon D70 File Problem.....

Old March 26th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Patrick Markovic

Default Nikon D70 File Problem.....

I have a Nikon D70 that I was using to take photos yesterday using a 512
Mb flash card which was formatted in the camera since the usage. I set
the camera to save the photos in "Raw + JPEG Basic" format. I took some
70 photos, the camera split them into two different folders: 100NCD70
and 101NCD70. In the folder 100NCD70 folder, the photos were titled
DSC_5037 to DSC_5078. When it started saving photos in 101NCD70, the
photos were titled DSC5076 to DSC5102. In other words, when it started
using the second file, it re-used the picture numbers 5076, 5077 and
5078, has anyone ever seen this before and what might cause it? In
addition, in the folder 100NCD70, the photo file DSC_5078.NEF is
corrupted and not recoverable, the JPEG version is OK. Never have seen
this happen before, I've tested the flash card using Lexar Image
Recovery tool and did not find any errors with only 0.2% fragmentation.
Is there any way that I can prevent this from happening again????
Old March 26th 08, 07:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike Mills

Is there
any way that I can prevent this from happening again????

format the card and hope for the best.

Old March 26th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
frederick

Mike Mills wrote:
Is there
any way that I can prevent this from happening again????

format the card and hope for the best.

I have had occasional problems with D70 and card writing errors. I
think (but can't confirm 100%) that these all related to using a cheap
aftermarket battery - that seemed to possibly not have enough current
capacity to reliably write files to cards when using burst mode. After
shooting a burst or using the flash, LCD charge indicator would drop,
then (IMO weirdly) recover. Errors ranged from one or a few corrupted
files to unreadable cards (recoverable using recovery software).

Old March 26th 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Buy_Sell

I've recently got a few corrupt files on my new memory card but I am
hedging my guess that I turned the camera off before the write was
completed. I often flick on the camera, take the shot and then
immediately flick off the camera, to save battery life. I don't know
why I do this but it has become a habit. D70s

Old March 27th 08, 02:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
pboud

Buy_Sell wrote:
I've recently got a few corrupt files on my new memory card but I am
hedging my guess that I turned the camera off before the write was
completed. I often flick on the camera, take the shot and then
immediately flick off the camera, to save battery life. I don't know
why I do this but it has become a habit. D70s

Battery usage is virtually identical whether the camera is off or in
'standby' ( 2mA vs 3 mA).. The killer is the LCD screen..

P.

Old March 29th 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 19:15:54 GMT, Patrick Markovic
wrote:

I have a Nikon D70 ... the camera split them into two different folders: ...

This has happened twice to me, with the same symptoms, except that I
didn't lose any files. It happened at about the 11,000 picture mark. I
have a D70, use Nikon batteries whose power was fine, format
in-camera, and did not shut the camera off. It was like a hickup when
writing an image.

Until they get repeatable I blame this kind of thing on cosmic rays.

Cheers,
DuncanC