Starter slr question

Old December 19th 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Luke Carroll

Default Starter slr question

What is the most popular setting?
Some people on Flickr say TV or M

Is it possible to stay on Auto and still get good quality shots?

Luke
Old December 19th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

On Dec 19, 8:26 am, Luke Carroll
wrote:
What is the most popular setting?
Some people on Flickr say TV or M

Is it possible to stay on Auto and still get good quality shots?

Luke

Sure, but if you leave it on auto, why did you get an SLR? :-)

In answer to your first question, it depends. What are you shooting
and what do you want to see?

Now for, probably, the best advice you will get here...
Take an introductory or basic photography class. I'm not trying to be
mean, but you will get more out of that then you will by asking basic
questions here. It's not a matter of reading the information, it's a
matter of hands on knowing the camera and what it will and won't do.
The class will force you to do some basic stuff so that you can begin
to understand the camera and how physics of photography work.

Goodluck,
Jim
Old December 19th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Luke Carroll wrote:
What is the most popular setting?
Some people on Flickr say TV or M

Aperture priority, because usually shutter only matters if I need a
particular motion effect and depth of field usually has more impact on
the look of a picture (for my purposes). If you are doing sports or long
exposures or mostly at infinity without much foreground you might use
shutter priority.

Is it possible to stay on Auto and still get good quality shots?

Sure, and eventually you will want something the camera didn't suggest
so you'll explore other options.
Old December 19th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mick Harris

"Luke Carroll" wrote in message
What is the most popular setting?
Some people on Flickr say TV or M

Is it possible to stay on Auto and still get good quality shots?

Luke

Hi Luke
Good advice from Jim, you can't beat joining a club to learn the basics (and
more).
Using TV (shutter priority) will allow you to select a shutter speed of your
choice, fast to freeze moving subjects or to allow you to use a longer focal
length lens without camera shake etc. Or a slow speed to blur your images
for different effects or for night/low light photography to let more light
reach your film/sensor etc.
M (manual) will work similar to auto, but, you will have to line up /
balance the exposure using the readout in your viewfinder. This will let you
be a bit more creative as you can add or subtract a stop or two of exposure
to allow for bright / dark subjects. e.g. +1.5 - 2 stops when shooting snow
or other bright subjects, or -1 - 2 stops for dark subjects.
Here is a good site for beginners http://www.photonhead.com/ have a look
here, and as soon as you understand the basics i.e. Apertures & Shutter
speeds and how to use them to control exposure and depth of field, there
will be no stopping you. :-)
In the meantime take lots of photos, and try to take notes about how you
achieved a certain look or feel to an image.
Good Luck
Mick

Old December 19th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Scott W

On Dec 19, 3:26 am, Luke Carroll
wrote:
What is the most popular setting?
Some people on Flickr say TV or M

Is it possible to stay on Auto and still get good quality shots?

Luke

I keep it set at aperture priority most of the time.

You could use auto, but in time you should know far more about what
setting you want then the camera does.

In any event for even shot you take you should be aware of what the f/
number is, the shutter speed and the iso.

Scott
Old December 19th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Nicholas O. Lindan

"JimKramer" wrote
Luke Carroll wrote:
What is the most popular setting?

Popularity doesn't have much to do with it. Which
is appropriate for the occasion is the question.

Some people on Flickr say TV or M

Now for, probably, the best advice you will get here...
Take an introductory or basic photography class.

And ask in rec.photo.digital.* ... they know more about
such things.

TV is something one shouldn't watch and M is a either a
Leica or a Tessar-formula large-format Nikkor lens.
So I say 'M' is the way to go...

==
Nicholas O. Lindan
Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
Cleveland, Ohio 44121

Old December 19th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Scott W

On Dec 19, 7:05 am, "Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote:
"JimKramer" wrote

Luke Carroll wrote:
What is the most popular setting?

Popularity doesn't have much to do with it. Which
is appropriate for the occasion is the question.

Some people on Flickr say TV or M

Now for, probably, the best advice you will get here...
Take an introductory or basic photography class.

And ask in rec.photo.digital.* ... they know more about
such things.

TV is something one shouldn't watch and M is a either a
Leica or a Tessar-formula large-format Nikkor lens.
So I say 'M' is the way to go...

In a bad mood are we Nicholas?

How do you know he is not shooting film, my film SLRs have both Tv and
M settings.

Of course I don't really see much difference in how I set up a DSLR
from and SLR, do you?

Scott
Old December 19th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Scott W wrote:

How do you know he is not shooting film, my film SLRs have both Tv and
M settings.

Of course I don't really see much difference in how I set up a DSLR
from and SLR, do you?

Many of my 'DSLR lenses' won't do shutter priority :-)
Old December 19th 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Scott W

On Dec 19, 7:53 am, Paul Furman wrote:
Scott W wrote:
How do you know he is not shooting film, my film SLRs have both Tv and
M settings.

Of course I don't really see much difference in how I set up a DSLR
from and SLR, do you?

Many of my 'DSLR lenses' won't do shutter priority :-)

I assume older lenses where the aperture is manually set?

My first SLR was a fancy one, it had a build in light meter. Of
course you had to set the shutter and aperture manually, but there was
a little needle that you can center and you might get close to the
right exposure.

Scott
Old December 19th 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Scott W wrote:
How do you know he is not shooting film, my film SLRs have both Tv and
M settings.
Of course I don't really see much difference in how I set up a DSLR
from and SLR, do you?

Many of my 'DSLR lenses' won't do shutter priority :-)

I assume older lenses where the aperture is manually set?

Yep. Newer ones: you lock the ring at max, newer still have no ring.

My first SLR was a fancy one, it had a build in light meter. Of
course you had to set the shutter and aperture manually, but there was
a little needle that you can center and you might get close to the
right exposure.

Me too, that was sooo advanced!