a few questions about xD cards

Old December 7th 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dirty Harry[_2_]

Default a few questions about xD cards

Hello, I am quite novice to digital photography, and have some questions
about xD flash memory.

1) is it true that 2GB card H-type can be slower that 1GB H-type? I mean
is there any memory structure issue with 2GB cards which could cause
their lower speeds comparing to 1GB cards when recording digital images?

2) Is it true that Fuji DSC series of xD cards cause problems ie. are
not reliable when recording data?

3) Is there any miniSD-xD adapter on the market? generally, is such
adaptation technically possible?

I would greatly appreciate your answers.

Harry, Dirty
Old December 8th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sosumi

"Dirty Harry" wrote in message
Hello, I am quite novice to digital photography, and have some questions
about xD flash memory.

1) is it true that 2GB card H-type can be slower that 1GB H-type? I mean
is there any memory structure issue with 2GB cards which could cause their
lower speeds comparing to 1GB cards when recording digital images?

2) Is it true that Fuji DSC series of xD cards cause problems ie. are not
reliable when recording data?

3) Is there any miniSD-xD adapter on the market? generally, is such
adaptation technically possible?

I would greatly appreciate your answers.

The XD is a crappy card that is much slower than CF or SD cards. On top of
that, hard to find and very expensive. So small, you can loose them if you
sneeze.
Only Olympus, Fuji and Panasonic (I think) use them, not one serious DSLR,
likely because they're too slow.

Still have a 1 Gb Olympus H type laying around here. Be happy to sell it to
you.

--
Sosumi

Old December 8th 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bucky

On Dec 7, 3:27 pm, Dirty Harry wrote:
Hello, I am quite novice to digital photography, and have some questions
about xD flash memory.

Avoid xD flash. Just buy a camera that supports SD. xD is more
expensive, less available.
Old December 8th 07, 12:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
AAvK

"Dirty Harry" wrote in message ...
Hello, I am quite novice to digital photography, and have some questions
about xD flash memory.

1) is it true that 2GB card H-type can be slower that 1GB H-type? I mean
is there any memory structure issue with 2GB cards which could cause
their lower speeds comparing to 1GB cards when recording digital images?

2) Is it true that Fuji DSC series of xD cards cause problems ie. are
not reliable when recording data?

3) Is there any miniSD-xD adapter on the market? generally, is such
adaptation technically possible?

I would greatly appreciate your answers.

Harry, Dirty

I use a 2gb Fuji XD card in a Fuji s6000fd, it absolutely works perfectly fine.
But, just because of the camera's CPU, it takes about 5-6 seconds to process a
13mb raw .RAF file onto the card and that might be because it is an "M" type
(standard speed) rather than "H" type (high speed). There is nothing wrong with
the technology, it's just more expensive. Very small card! I paid about half price
for it ($40), new and sealed on eBay. It doesn't bother me.

What did bother me is, I recently bought a new 1gb 40x speed compact flash card
(a top brand) for my old Nikon e950. This camera takes 40 seconds to process a
2mp/5.7mb 300ppi .TIF file onto the card (that's the top file the e950 can make).
That is, if it is a "normal" 1x speed card. I gained three seconds with this new card
....LOL. So I really wonder if an "H" type XD would really make a difference, or if
it is predominently up to the speed of any given camera's CPU!

Sorry I don't have exacting answers, just the exacting experiences.

--
Giant_Alex })))*
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/