Sharpening program

Old November 3rd 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
NeilH

Default Sharpening program

Can someone recommend a good stand-alone sharpening program as it
seems like most are plug-ins for some other program? Also, when
assembling a panorama, is it better to sharpen each shot individually
or just do the completed pano? Or does it even matter?
Neil
Old November 3rd 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allodoxaphobia

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 15:14:27 -0600, NeilH wrote:
Can someone recommend a good stand-alone sharpening program as it
seems like most are plug-ins for some other program?

ImageMagick
Old November 4th 07, 12:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Brooke Aimes

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 15:14:27 -0600, NeilH wrote:

Can someone recommend a good stand-alone sharpening program as it
seems like most are plug-ins for some other program? Also, when
assembling a panorama, is it better to sharpen each shot individually
or just do the completed pano? Or does it even matter?
Neil

CleanerZoomer http://www.cleanerzoomer.com/
It's an excellent stand-alone application with some very nice sharpening,
noise-removal methods, JPEG artifacts cleaner, and an upsampling utility.

Another good one is Focus Magic http://www.focusmagic.com
It comes as a stand-alone and plugin version both in the same package. The
stand-alone is nice but there's more adjustment options available in the plugin.
As for panoramas: Most of the time panoramas are assembled from the non-tweaked
photos. So that all color balance, exposure, and contrast levels are retained as
accurately as possible from frame to frame, ensuring the most invisible seams.
After the panorama is assembled then you would do your final tweaking on the
image as a whole. Saving sharpening for last. If you don't plan on doing any
exposure and color tweaking to your final panorama then you can sharpen each
frame before assembly. Keeping in mind that you may have to re-sharpen again.
Applying sharpening safely a second time if you are using Focus Magic (which
doesn't create sharpening halo artifacts like unsharp-mask methods do). If your
panorama stitcher isn't using Lanczos resampling algorithms when it performs its
lens-distortion and image leveling corrections then it will blur fine details
during the stitching process. This is the biggest problem that anyone runs into
when using any version of PhotoShop for panorama or HDR assembly. This blurring
from non-Lanczos resampling methods may require one final Focus Magic sharpening
to correct it.

Having said all that, and not knowing your level of experience nor expertise
with various programs and their methods and how they can work together, it's
probably best if you just apply sharpening for the very last step on the final
panorama. Unless you are completely aware of how your panorama software and
sharpening software is doing its thing then you may end up introducing
artifacts, or get less image quality than you started out with by not saving
sharpening for last.

Old November 4th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Ferguson

NeilH wrote:
Can someone recommend a good stand-alone sharpening program as it
seems like most are plug-ins for some other program? Also, when
assembling a panorama, is it better to sharpen each shot individually
or just do the completed pano? Or does it even matter?
Neil

Fast Stone Image Viewer(FSViewer). Best of all, it's free.

I sharpen each, then sharpen the completed pano if it needs it.
Old November 4th 07, 09:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
AAvK

"John Ferguson" wrote in message . ..
NeilH wrote:
Can someone recommend a good stand-alone sharpening program as it
seems like most are plug-ins for some other program? Also, when
assembling a panorama, is it better to sharpen each shot individually
or just do the completed pano? Or does it even matter?
Neil

Fast Stone Image Viewer(FSViewer). Best of all, it's free.

I sharpen each, then sharpen the completed pano if it needs it.

Thanks for that tip, this program shows my Fujifilm .RAF raw images perfectly,
very surprising. The xnview proggy can't do that, and it's more than a twice sized
download, too. Very well ordered programming.

AAvK
Old November 4th 07, 01:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
NeilH

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 15:14:27 -0600, NeilH wrote:

Can someone recommend a good stand-alone sharpening program as it
seems like most are plug-ins for some other program? Also, when
assembling a panorama, is it better to sharpen each shot individually
or just do the completed pano? Or does it even matter?
Neil

Thanks for all the great ideas, guys. I was using a program
(pixaround) which has sharpening in it and it appears to improve
details in some Canyonland photos recently taken. But I would like to
try some other pano programs that may need a sharpening tweek. Being a
novice at this type of thing, I greatly appreciate the expertise and
help that this group provides.
Neil Hoover
Old November 4th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Harmon

On 3 Nov 2007 23:15:06 GMT in rec.photo.digital, Allodoxaphobia
wrote,
On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 15:14:27 -0600, NeilH wrote:
Can someone recommend a good stand-alone sharpening program as it
seems like most are plug-ins for some other program?

ImageMagick

What parameters do you like for sharpening with ImageMagick?

Old November 5th 07, 11:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

NeilH wrote:
Can someone recommend a good stand-alone sharpening program as it
seems like most are plug-ins for some other program? Also, when
assembling a panorama, is it better to sharpen each shot individually
or just do the completed pano? Or does it even matter?

Stitch then sharpen - otherwise you're asking for "issues"
at the picture boundaries.

BugBear
Old November 5th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Tuthill

Allodoxaphobia wrote:
On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 15:14:27 -0600, NeilH wrote:
Can someone recommend a good stand-alone sharpening program as it
seems like most are plug-ins for some other program?

ImageMagick

Allodoxaphobia (Fear of Opinions), do you have a recommendation
for sharpening parameters in ImageMagick? Here's what I use:

convert -filter Lanczos -resize 25% -unsharp 1x3+1+.1

Old November 5th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allodoxaphobia

Default ImageMagick Was: Sharpening program

On 5 Nov 2007 10:35:20 -0800, Bill Tuthill wrote:
Allodoxaphobia wrote:
On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 15:14:27 -0600, NeilH wrote:
Can someone recommend a good stand-alone sharpening program as it
seems like most are plug-ins for some other program?

ImageMagick

Allodoxaphobia (Fear of Opinions), do you have a recommendation
for sharpening parameters in ImageMagick? Here's what I use:

convert -filter Lanczos -resize 25% -unsharp 1x3+1+.1

I have no recommendations for any one-parameter-list-fits-all.
I did use your example on an underwater JPEG and the results looked
quite nice. Then I used it on a mountain pass web cam image and it
was over sharpened.

It's always been fiddle, futz, and accept what's Good Enough for me.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: http://jonz.net/ng.htm