Canon Raw files and Photoshop 8.0

Old June 30th 07, 11:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jonathan Renouf

Default Canon Raw files and Photoshop 8.0

Hi there,
I've got Photoshop 8.0 and I've just got a Canon EOS5D. However,
Photoshop doesn't seem to recognise the CR2 raw files that the Canon
produces. I get an error message: "Could not complete your request
because this version of Photoshop does not supply the services
required by this plug in module". Surely it must be possible to use
CR2 on Photoshop 8.0?
Thanks

Old June 30th 07, 11:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
William4

"Jonathan Renouf" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi there,
I've got Photoshop 8.0 and I've just got a Canon EOS5D. However,
Photoshop doesn't seem to recognise the CR2 raw files that the Canon
produces. I get an error message: "Could not complete your request
because this version of Photoshop does not supply the services
required by this plug in module". Surely it must be possible to use
CR2 on Photoshop 8.0?
Thanks

CS? Nope, the plug-in isn't compatible. You'd need CS2/3. Back to canon
software...

I did try CS3 (beta) for a while and thought the plug in very good, but my
trial expired so I'm back to my CS.

Old June 30th 07, 11:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Paseur[_3_]

Jonathan Renouf wrote in
ups.com:

Hi there,
I've got Photoshop 8.0 and I've just got a Canon EOS5D. However,
Photoshop doesn't seem to recognise the CR2 raw files that the Canon
produces. I get an error message: "Could not complete your request
because this version of Photoshop does not supply the services
required by this plug in module". Surely it must be possible to use
CR2 on Photoshop 8.0?
Thanks

Adobe does not support the 5D raw conversion until CS2 (#9). You might
upgrade to CS2, or look for a DNG converter. I've got a 5D and have CS1 on
a home system, and the Canon DPP software works quite well. It goes RAW to
TIF, then I open the TIF in Photoshop.
More on Canon DPP Softwa
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05...non_dpp203.asp

Old June 30th 07, 12:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Recer

"Ray Paseur" wrote in message
[...]

You might check out Breeze Browser, I use an older version of it to convert
my 10D raw images to tiff.

http://www.breezesys.com/

Ron

Old June 30th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Ray Paseur wrote:
Jonathan Renouf wrote in
ups.com:

Hi there,
I've got Photoshop 8.0 and I've just got a Canon EOS5D. However,
Photoshop doesn't seem to recognise the CR2 raw files that the Canon
produces. I get an error message: "Could not complete your request
because this version of Photoshop does not supply the services
required by this plug in module". Surely it must be possible to use
CR2 on Photoshop 8.0?

Adobe does not support the 5D raw conversion until CS2 (#9). You might
upgrade to CS2, or look for a DNG converter. I've got a 5D and have CS1 on
a home system, and the Canon DPP software works quite well. It goes RAW to
TIF, then I open the TIF in Photoshop.

Couple of alternatives: Lightroom, 30 day trial. CS3, 30 day trial.
Convert to .dng format with free Adobe dng converter.

--
john mcwilliams
Old June 30th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 03:41:50 -0700, Jonathan Renouf wrote:

Hi there,
I've got Photoshop 8.0 and I've just got a Canon EOS5D. However,
Photoshop doesn't seem to recognise the CR2 raw files that the Canon
produces. I get an error message: "Could not complete your request
because this version of Photoshop does not supply the services
required by this plug in module". Surely it must be possible to use
CR2 on Photoshop 8.0?
Thanks

Try ufraw or dcraw - it remains more up to date.

Old July 1st 07, 06:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Macey

On Jul 1, 12:37 am, John McWilliams wrote:

Convert to .dng format with free Adobe dng converter.

That doesn't always help. When I convert my 400d RAW files to DNG,
CS2 has a cow when I try and do some post processing and save it as a
jpeg.

Ray

Old July 1st 07, 08:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Barry Pearson

On Jul 1, 6:11 am, Ray Macey wrote:
On Jul 1, 12:37 am, John McWilliams wrote:

Convert to .dng format with free Adobe dng converter.

That doesn't always help. When I convert my 400d RAW files to DNG,
CS2 has a cow when I try and do some post processing and save it as a
jpeg.

That works for others. What are the symptoms?

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.barrypearson.co.uk/photography/

Old July 1st 07, 01:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Macey

On Jul 1, 5:39 pm, Barry Pearson
wrote:

That works for others. What are the symptoms?

"Could not complete your request because of a program error" when I
get try to save the final jpg using save as. I can save it as a psd,
tiff or whatever, but not a JPEG.

Ray

Old July 1st 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Ray Macey wrote:
On Jul 1, 5:39 pm, Barry Pearson
wrote:
That works for others. What are the symptoms?

"Could not complete your request because of a program error" when I
get try to save the final jpg using save as. I can save it as a psd,
tiff or whatever, but not a JPEG.

When you go to save, is it in 8 bits?

--
john mcwilliams