4 by 5 Glass Carrier for 35mm Neg Newton Rings

Old August 30th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Alan Smithee

Default 4 by 5 Glass Carrier for 35mm Neg Newton Rings

I wanted to printed a 35mm to included the sprocket holes and film
information. I thought I'd us a surplus 4x5 glass Beseler carrier. It
appears now that I'm getting Newton's rings on the prints. My question is:
why did they bother making a glass carrier with non AN glass if it pretty
much always leaves rings on the neg. Am I doing something wrong? Could I use
Kami fluid to stick the neg down? Thx.

Old August 30th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
[email protected]

In qzgJg.496523$IK3.399847@pd7tw1no, on 08/30/06
at 01:40 PM, "Alan Smithee" said:

I wanted to printed a 35mm to included the sprocket holes and film
information. I thought I'd us a surplus 4x5 glass Beseler carrier. It
appears now that I'm getting Newton's rings on the prints. My question
is: why did they bother making a glass carrier with non AN glass if it
pretty much always leaves rings on the neg. Am I doing something wrong?
Could I use Kami fluid to stick the neg down? Thx.

Beseler supply [or did] a glass replacement kit for the 4 x 5 carrier of
which one side had anti-Newton ring treatment.

-
les clark / edgewater, nj / usa

Old August 31st 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
darkroommike

Alan Smithee wrote:
I wanted to printed a 35mm to included the sprocket holes and film
information. I thought I'd us a surplus 4x5 glass Beseler carrier. It
appears now that I'm getting Newton's rings on the prints. My question is:
why did they bother making a glass carrier with non AN glass if it pretty
much always leaves rings on the neg. Am I doing something wrong? Could I use
Kami fluid to stick the neg down? Thx.

Most of the traditional usage of a glass carrier was to print smaller
negatives but using a paper negative between the film and the top glass

--
darkroommike
Old August 31st 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"darkroommike" wrote:

Most of the traditional usage of a glass carrier was to print smaller
negatives but using a paper negative between the film and the top glass

Huh? I use the glass negative holder provided on the Focomat IIa. No paper
negative. Ever. It's straightforward "holding the negative flat" technology.

Old September 1st 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
darkroommike

j wrote:
"darkroommike" wrote:

Most of the traditional usage of a glass carrier was to print smaller
negatives but using a paper negative between the film and the top glass

Huh? I use the glass negative holder provided on the Focomat IIa. No paper
negative. Ever. It's straightforward "holding the negative flat" technology.

Sorry, not enough coffee, most of the time, when using 4x5 glass
carriers, the practice was to use a paper mask between the negative and
the upper glass to cut off the non-image light and eliminate fog. The
mask also added just enough space between negative and glass to
eliminate Newton Rings.

--
darkroommike
Old September 2nd 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Alan Smithee

"darkroommike" wrote in message
j wrote:
"darkroommike" wrote:

Most of the traditional usage of a glass carrier was to print smaller
negatives but using a paper negative between the film and the top glass

Huh? I use the glass negative holder provided on the Focomat IIa. No

paper
negative. Ever. It's straightforward "holding the negative flat"

technology.

Sorry, not enough coffee, most of the time, when using 4x5 glass
carriers, the practice was to use a paper mask between the negative and
the upper glass to cut off the non-image light and eliminate fog. The
mask also added just enough space between negative and glass to
eliminate Newton Rings.

Paper mask? What's that? Wouldn't that cause other problems?

Old September 2nd 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Alan Smithee" wrote
[35mm in 4x5 glass carrier]

Paper mask? What's that?

Traditionally a sheet of opaque paper, black on
one side, red on the other with a 1/8" grid markings.
You cut a hole of appropriate size with a razor blade and
ruler.

They were used in contact printing to give prints a
border - back when drugstore 'prints' meant contact
prints and not enlargements. Back then film for
the P&S's of the day was large, 120 and up, and
enlargements weren't really needed. Some of the old
Kodak folders make negatives 3.75 x 5.5" (or something
close) on 112 (?) film.

You need to use a mask when using a larger format
negative carrier - the light spill around the negative
will fog/lower the contrast of any prints.

Wouldn't that cause other problems?

I don't know of any.

The black paper from packets of paper or sheet film
or a few strips of 120 backing paper taped together
will make a workable mask. You don't have to worry
much when cutting the hole, in the old days it was
a pain getting the hole perfect so the print borders
would straight and fuzz-free.

If you are using a top-glass only carrier or a
glasseless carrier 35mm is going to bow in
a 6x6 or 4x5 carrier. Stop down.

Two sheets of window glass hinged with duct
tape make a very workable emergency glass
carrier for enlargers that take a simple
carrier such as Beseler and Omega. Sand
the edges of the glass or have the glass
shop smooth them or negatives can get
scratched.

To preserve sanity tape the mask to the inside of
the top half of the carrier.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Darkroom Automation

Old September 4th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Alan Smithee

Ah I get it now. I was thinking "paper" in front of the negative...duh. So
basically you can cut a custom mask to print to the edge of the sprockets
this way. I think I give it a try.