Flash Meters

Old August 27th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Default Flash Meters

I will be doing my own tests, but I am about to embark on a campaign to use
up the hundreds of flashbulbs around here, and of course I will do my own
tests.

I was wondering just how flash meters work. Do they consider the total light
for the entire flash-burn, or presume a peak or short exposure of some kind?

How well do they work when measuring flash in daylight, or other strong
ambient light? Accurate?

I can use a Minolta IV (or is it VI?), but don't want to trouble someone if
it won't perform properly.

Old August 27th 06, 09:36 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Q.G. de Bakker

j wrote:

I was wondering just how flash meters work. Do they consider the total
light for the entire flash-burn, or presume a peak or short exposure of
some kind?

The better ones measure the total light hitting it during a selectable short
duration (the synch-shutterspeed). That tells them the amount of flash +
ambient light present.
These better ones also measure the ambient light level alone, so also
provide and indication of the ambient light level as well as the flash
level.

How well do they work when measuring flash in daylight, or other strong
ambient light? Accurate?

Very well, yes.

I can use a Minolta IV (or is it VI?), but don't want to trouble someone
if it won't perform properly.

Good meters. No problem.

Old August 27th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

"Q.G. de Bakker" wrote in message

The better ones measure the total light hitting it during a selectable
short duration (the synch-shutterspeed). That tells them the amount of
flash + ambient light present.
These better ones also measure the ambient light level alone, so also
provide and indication of the ambient light level as well as the flash
level.

Wow! An answer! Thanks!

I thought they might work like that. But now, if I may, I have another
question: The Minolta has both flash-synch-cord and stand-alone flash
measurement methods. Does the cord method assure more accuracy with
long-duration flashes? I don't understand why there are two methods.

Oh, and this Minolta has only the total reading. I'm pretty sure.

Thank you again.

Old August 28th 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Neil Gould

Recently, j posted:

"Q.G. de Bakker" wrote in message

The better ones measure the total light hitting it during a
selectable short duration (the synch-shutterspeed). That tells them
the amount of flash + ambient light present.
These better ones also measure the ambient light level alone, so also
provide and indication of the ambient light level as well as the
flash level.

Wow! An answer! Thanks!

I thought they might work like that. But now, if I may, I have another
question: The Minolta has both flash-synch-cord and stand-alone flash
measurement methods. Does the cord method assure more accuracy with
long-duration flashes? I don't understand why there are two methods.

The stand-alone mode uses the light from the flash to trigger the meter. I
haven't found it to be any more or less accurate than using a sync chord,
however I have only used it in studio settings where the primary lighting
was from flash.

Oh, and this Minolta has only the total reading. I'm pretty sure.

I haven't found this to be a problem... the film also "sees" only the
total reading! ;-)

Neil

Old August 28th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
dadiOH

j wrote:
I will be doing my own tests, but I am about to embark on a
campaign to use up the hundreds of flashbulbs around here, and of
course I will do my own tests.

Don't forget to set the camera sync as appropriate for bulbs.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old August 28th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Richard Knoppow

"j" wrote in message
I will be doing my own tests, but I am about to embark on a
campaign to use up the hundreds of flashbulbs around here,
and of course I will do my own tests.

I was wondering just how flash meters work. Do they
consider the total light for the entire flash-burn, or
presume a peak or short exposure of some kind?

How well do they work when measuring flash in daylight, or
other strong ambient light? Accurate?

I can use a Minolta IV (or is it VI?), but don't want to
trouble someone if it won't perform properly.

I wouldn't mind having some of those bulbs:-)
Unlike strobe bulbs have a rather long duration and are
affected by the shutter speed. The use of a meter for
flashbulbs would be wasteful because you would have to use
two sets of bulbs. All falshbulbs came with data for
exposure, usually in the form of charts giving guide
numbers. The output depends on the size and type of
reflector but this is usually taken into consideration in
the charts. The chart will give you a guide number for
several film speeds (you can interpolate the others) and for
various shutter speeds incuding open flash where the entire
out put of the bulb is used. The charts were usually printed
on the bulb cartons but are available on the web and in
older photography books. I have them for all older type
bulbs and will give you data for specific bulbs. I have no
means of scanning at the moment or would simply scan and
post them.
Calculating fill or multiple bulb set-ups is not
difficult when you know the exposure for the bulbs alone.
Note that the very large Class-S lamps were made to be
used in studio floodlight reflectors with open flash. The
put out an astonishing amount of light.

--
---
Richard Knoppow