Nikon VR 28-70 28 AFS Lens

Old July 22nd 04, 06:16 PM
AW

Default Nikon VR 28-70 28 AFS Lens

Why would you need both?

To reduce depth of field and blur background!

"Lourens Smak" wrote in message
"Alparslan" wrote:

Are we going to see this lens any time soon? I think it is reasonable to
expect Nikon will come out with such a lens? Any rumors? Regards.

VR will be difficult to combine with the F2.8 speed, especially in a
wide-to-tele zoom. Plus, the added VR makes it possible to do without
the F2.8... simply use F4 and a longer shutterspeed. Why would you need
both? also, the 28-80 zoom-range sucks for digital, and F2.8 pro-lenses
will mostly (or even only) be used with digital.

So: it's not very likely this lens will ever become available.
now, a 50-135mm F2 DX, that would be something...

Lourens

Old July 22nd 04, 07:22 PM
Martin Francis

"Alparslan" wrote in message
Are we going to see this lens any time soon? I think it is reasonable to
expect Nikon will come out with such a lens? Any rumors? Regards.

Unlikely. Even Canon haven't added IS to a standard zoom yet- but don't be
surprised if a 24-70 f2.8 AF-S G lens comes out.

no, and yes...."

Old July 22nd 04, 08:26 PM
Sander Vesik

Alparslan wrote:
Are we going to see this lens any time soon? I think it is reasonable to
expect Nikon will come out with such a lens? Any rumors? Regards.

It would be nice, though the 24-120 look quite cool (so far ;-) too

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++

Old July 22nd 04, 11:01 PM
Alparslan

"Alparslan" wrote in message
Are we going to see this lens any time soon? I think it is reasonable to
expect Nikon will come out with such a lens? Any rumors? Regards.

It would be a nice lens to have because:

1) Better optics than 24-120 or any other zoom that streches a lot (in terms
of zoom range and the laws of physics)

2) The range might not be interesting for the digital but this lens will not
be an alternative to other zooms in different focal lenghts that are more
suitable for the smaller sensors of digital cameras. Different needs,
different lenses. (Furthermore, Nikon might go for full frame sensors in the
coming months/years)

3) The range covers from wide angle to moderate telephoto making it an ideal
all-around lens.

4) One can have greater range of f-stops enabling him/her to have a greater
degree of control over depth of field; consequently, it allows more shutter
speeds to choose from.

5) This lens is heavy. In dim conditions f:2,8 helps a lot but due to weight
of this lens, some hand shake is inevident especially after having hold the
camera/lens combination for a while. In this case, The VR feature will help
a lot.

6) Having f:2,8 helps freeze subjects if we want. (see no.4)

7) Following the tradition of 2,8 zooms, one can expect that this lens will
be sturdier than non 2,8 zoom lenses.

Old July 22nd 04, 11:46 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

Lourens Smak writes:

In article ,
"Alparslan" wrote:

Are we going to see this lens any time soon? I think it is reasonable to
expect Nikon will come out with such a lens? Any rumors? Regards.

VR will be difficult to combine with the F2.8 speed, especially in a
wide-to-tele zoom. Plus, the added VR makes it possible to do without
the F2.8... simply use F4 and a longer shutterspeed. Why would you need
both? also, the 28-80 zoom-range sucks for digital, and F2.8 pro-lenses
will mostly (or even only) be used with digital.

The slow apertures is the primary reason I've avoided VR lenses so
far. I'm already shooting at shutter speeds limited by the *subject*
motion, I can't increase them. What VR might do for me is avoid the
need for the tripod or other camera support, making it easier,
quicker, and perhaps more spontaneous to take these photos.

Sounds like you know things about how VR works; can you explain why
it's harder in a faster lens and harder in a wide-to-tele zoom without
having to write a book on the subject?

So: it's not very likely this lens will ever become available.
now, a 50-135mm F2 DX, that would be something...

It's the 24-70 f2 VR I really want.