PLEASE HELP WITH BUYING DECISION TODAY!!

Old February 13th 05, 06:45 PM
Jack Dotson

Default PLEASE HELP WITH BUYING DECISION TODAY!!

I need help from you experts. I'm going to give the wife a new digital
camera and need to know which camera is the best bang for the buck. The
camera will be used to shoot people and scenery, at home, inside and out and
on vacations. Will probably only print a few select shots every now and
again, but might want to print as large as 8 X 10. We are by no means
anywhere near close to professional photographer's and the easier the camera
can make good shots without us screwing them up, the better. I really hate
when a camera makes people eyes look red, so this is a major consideration
and I also want one that works well in all lighting conditions. I don't
plan or want to add an external flash and I don't want a big SLR type camera
that I will probably never take with me because I don't want to haul it
around.

I would also know which type of battery's are considered better and also
memory, etc.

In a nut shell, looking for the best all around camera for a casual user and
would like to stay as close to the $300 area as possible, but this is not
set in stone. I will pay for quality.

Your assistance and recommendations greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Jack

Old February 13th 05, 07:38 PM
Ron Hunter

Jack Dotson wrote:
[...]

Jack,
I suggest your needs would be well-met by a Kodak DX7440, or DX7630.
I, personally, like the 4x optical zoom. These cameras have nice
large LCD displays viewable in bright sun, and make good images with
good color with the automatic settings, and also allow some manual
control. As for the 'red-eye' problem. ANY camera with the flash close
to the lens will have this problem sometimes. Both these cameras have a
flash setting to minimize the problem, but you may still need to do some
processing after you see the picture.
You will find many other cameras in the same general price range
with similar features, and specifications. These, however, offer great
ease of use, and good photo quality.

Most important is to let your wife actually handle each of the
cameras you feel are good candidates as balance, and shape of the camera
are important aspects, and everyone's hands are different.

I wouldn't get too involved in battery or flash memory type unless
you already have a serious investment in one type battery or flash card,
and don't want to have to replace what you already have. Both the
mentioned cameras use lithium ion batteries, which will deliver several
hundred shots between charges.

--
Ron Hunter

Old February 13th 05, 08:14 PM
BobS

I'm a bit bias sine I bought two Canon a95's and one a85 for Xmas gifts. I
did the research and did the comparisons at www.dpreview.com and found both
were excellent choices. The a95's have the swivel LCD panel - found that to
be real handy especially if you're holding the camera overhead and you can
tilt and swivel the panel so it's always viewable.

Takes outstanding photo's using the automatic modes but has plenty to offer
in the various semi-auto and manual modes if you ever want to experiment.
There are many, many camera's out there that will fit your needs but if you
do a bit of research on the dpreview site and then go visit a good camera
store where you can get some hands-on time - you'll find one that will suit
you just fine.

Bob S.

"Jack Dotson" wrote in message
Thanks Ron. Anyone else??

Old February 13th 05, 08:17 PM
Gary Brown

My wife really likes her credit-card size Casio EX-Z3.
Larger (2-inch) display than more expensive cameras, 3X optical zoom
3.43" (W) x 2.24" (H) x .9" (D)
3.2 megapixels
21 sample scenes built-in

We never have to refer to the "losers guide" to use it.
Bought an extra 256Mb SD card for it.

Pentax optics. Casio ease of use.

About $250.

Gary

Old February 13th 05, 09:43 PM
wayne

I had not read Ron's suggestion but found the same answer after doing some
quick work
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...6&is= REG&q=1

The 7440 has a 4x optical zoom which is nice is a reasonable size and has a
docking station which makes connecting to the computer simples and charges
the battery the 32mb internal memory is nice too.. Street price is about
250.00.

Wayne