Enhancing a jpg

Old December 17th 16, 09:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH

Default Enhancing a jpg

I've a 780 x 490 b/w 100kb jpg photo. I'd like to enhance the image to
print at about A1 size (23"x33").

I'd doubt there's any one way to do this, and it's bound to involve
compromise. And I don't have a great deal of software - Affinity Photo
plus anything that comes free with a Mac. Any suggestions please?

--
Cheers, Rob
Old December 17th 16, 12:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Noons

On 17/12/2016 8:48 @wiz, RJH wrote:
I've a 780 x 490 b/w 100kb jpg photo. I'd like to enhance the image to
print at about A1 size (23"x33").

I'd doubt there's any one way to do this, and it's bound to involve
compromise. And I don't have a great deal of software - Affinity Photo
plus anything that comes free with a Mac. Any suggestions please?

A LOT of compromise, with those numbers!
I'd give the resizing options in Irfanview a go: they have always worked
reasonably well for me. But don't expect miracles: with those
dimensions, you're way off anything usable for A1 size!
Old December 17th 16, 01:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Noons wrote:
On 17/12/2016 8:48 @wiz, RJH wrote:
I've a 780 x 490 b/w 100kb jpg photo. I'd like to enhance the image to
print at about A1 size (23"x33").

I'd doubt there's any one way to do this, and it's bound to involve
compromise. And I don't have a great deal of software - Affinity Photo
plus anything that comes free with a Mac. Any suggestions please?

A LOT of compromise, with those numbers!
I'd give the resizing options in Irfanview a go: they have always worked
reasonably well for me. But don't expect miracles: with those
dimensions, you're way off anything usable for A1 size!

Agreed!
Resizing any jpg that small upward is going to be disappointing even using
appropriate software such as ON1 Resize.

Savageduck
Old December 17th 16, 01:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Whiskers

On 2016-12-17, RJH wrote:
I've a 780 x 490 b/w 100kb jpg photo. I'd like to enhance the image to
print at about A1 size (23"x33").

I'd doubt there's any one way to do this, and it's bound to involve
compromise. And I don't have a great deal of software - Affinity Photo
plus anything that comes free with a Mac. Any suggestions please?

How about converting it from 'raster' form (lots of dots) to 'vector'
(defined shapes and lines and curves which keep the same relationships
regardless of scale)?
https://www.ixquick.eu/do/search?q=convert+raster+to+vector

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
Old December 17th 16, 02:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 12/17/2016 4:48 AM, RJH wrote:
I've a 780 x 490 b/w 100kb jpg photo. I'd like to enhance the image to
print at about A1 size (23"x33").

I'd doubt there's any one way to do this, and it's bound to involve
compromise. And I don't have a great deal of software - Affinity Photo
plus anything that comes free with a Mac. Any suggestions please?

As others have implied, your objective is a more than a bit of a
stretch. The common minimum photo print resolution is 300 pixels per
inch (ppi). So, you're essentially attempting to blow up a smaller than
2x3" image to more than 10 times its size (no problem for film, btw)!
There will be a great deal of compromise, so I would think that the
result will either be "art" or not. ;-)

--
best regards,

Neil
Old December 17th 16, 03:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Neil
wrote:

I've a 780 x 490 b/w 100kb jpg photo. I'd like to enhance the image to
print at about A1 size (23"x33").

I'd doubt there's any one way to do this, and it's bound to involve
compromise. And I don't have a great deal of software - Affinity Photo
plus anything that comes free with a Mac. Any suggestions please?

As others have implied, your objective is a more than a bit of a
stretch. The common minimum photo print resolution is 300 pixels per
inch (ppi). So, you're essentially attempting to blow up a smaller than
2x3" image to more than 10 times its size (no problem for film, btw)!

it absolutely is a problem for film.
Old December 17th 16, 03:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2016-12-17 10:08, nospam wrote:
In article , Neil
wrote:

I've a 780 x 490 b/w 100kb jpg photo. I'd like to enhance the image to
print at about A1 size (23"x33").

I'd doubt there's any one way to do this, and it's bound to involve
compromise. And I don't have a great deal of software - Affinity Photo
plus anything that comes free with a Mac. Any suggestions please?

As others have implied, your objective is a more than a bit of a
stretch. The common minimum photo print resolution is 300 pixels per
inch (ppi). So, you're essentially attempting to blow up a smaller than
2x3" image to more than 10 times its size (no problem for film, btw)!

it absolutely is a problem for film.

I believe he meant that if he had the original film it could be scanned
and produce a quite acceptable 23x33" pring.

--
"If war is God's way of teaching Americans geography, then
recession is His way of teaching everyone a little economics."
Old December 17th 16, 03:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 12/17/2016 10:08 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Neil
wrote:

I've a 780 x 490 b/w 100kb jpg photo. I'd like to enhance the image to
print at about A1 size (23"x33").

I'd doubt there's any one way to do this, and it's bound to involve
compromise. And I don't have a great deal of software - Affinity Photo
plus anything that comes free with a Mac. Any suggestions please?

As others have implied, your objective is a more than a bit of a
stretch. The common minimum photo print resolution is 300 pixels per
inch (ppi). So, you're essentially attempting to blow up a smaller than
2x3" image to more than 10 times its size (no problem for film, btw)!

it absolutely is a problem for film.

I've optically enlarged 35mm and medium format film negatives to larger
sizes than 23"x33" with no problem and very good quality. You're welcome
to come here and see them.

--
Ken Hart

Old December 17th 16, 03:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

:
: I'd doubt there's any one way to do this, and it's bound to involve
: compromise. And I don't have a great deal of software - Affinity Photo
: plus anything that comes free with a Mac. Any suggestions please?
:
:
:
:
: A LOT of compromise, with those numbers!
: I'd give the resizing options in Irfanview a go: they have always worked
: reasonably well for me. But don't expect miracles: with those
: dimensions, you're way off anything usable for A1 size!

I think maybe he meant to say centimeters, not inches. Isn't A1 the European
equivalent of a sheet of typing paper?

Bob
Old December 17th 16, 03:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 12/17/2016 4:48 AM, RJH wrote:
I've a 780 x 490 b/w 100kb jpg photo. I'd like to enhance the image to
print at about A1 size (23"x33").

I'd doubt there's any one way to do this, and it's bound to involve
compromise. And I don't have a great deal of software - Affinity Photo
plus anything that comes free with a Mac. Any suggestions please?

As others have said, don't expect miracles. However, if you want to try,
do it in small increments, about 10% increase in size on each try. But I
would not be too hopeful.

--
PeterN