Remote Flash Ideas Wanted

Old February 5th 09, 03:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MoParMaN

Default Remote Flash Ideas Wanted

Hello

Long time internet user, Pine 1.0 was my first reader....I survived the
Usenet Wars of 88. I'm new to this group.

Now, my problem. I take wildlife photo's mostly. The last two years I
bought a place on a lake in east Texas which has a large population of
hummingbirds (hummers). I've taken some really nice photos of them with my
E300 and last year I bought the new E-3. One of the problems with taking
pictures of hummers is that, they are fast, and they tend to go to the
feeder and such that I have around while in the shadows of some large trees
I have.
The birds parts that are directly in front of the camera are good quality,
but the shaded parts leave a little to be desired.

Since the E-3 has remote flash capabilities, what kind of remote flashes
could I possibly use without scaring the hummers? I thought about buying a
FL50R, but I think it's too strong. I was gonna mount the flashes on the
ground and point them up. Front the ground to where I usually capture them
is about 6 feet.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

--
--MoParMaN--
---Scud Coordinates 32.61204 North 96.92989 West---

VROC-27911
Cedar Hill and Hawkins Texas
2008 Vulcan 1600 Nomad
Cedar Hill or Hawkins Texas
http://www.vroc.org/view_profile.php?user_id=32113

Old February 5th 09, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

MoParMaN wrote:
[...]

I assume the remote flash is TTL wireless so the flash intensity should
be well controlled. Though you will need flash compensation to the low
side as not much flash return will come from the subject, and the BG
will be far enough off as to 'demand' more light.

For what you're doing, let's assume at least f/8. For ISO 100, 100mm at
a distance of 5 feet from the flash to the subject you would need a GN
of 40 feet (12 metres) or higher. A mid-range flash of about GN 40
(metres) should do the job with room to spare.

In such an environment (outdoor, open space) the control signals from
the camera will be very weak at the flash. Assuming the flash has a
pan/tilt head - turn the head 'backwards' (flash pointed towards the
birds of course) such that the IR sensor on the flash head is pointed
towards the camera.

I would elevate the flashes somewhat and keep them about 5 or more feet
from the birds. The birds will hardly pay attention to them - or will
get used to them quickly.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old February 5th 09, 08:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MoParMaN

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
MoParMaN wrote:
[...]

Thanks, so the size of the flash really doesn't matter, since basically the
camera is going to adjust the flash to the focus point....I am assuming
this. I use a FL36 now and it does a good job mounted on the camera, so
maybe all I really need is the FL36R to do what I want to do. The price
difference between the 36 and FL50R is around 200 bucks.

Old February 5th 09, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
AA

"MoParMaN" schreef in bericht
[...]

You might try a radio or IR remote adapter on your FL36, so you can put that
remote.

Old February 5th 09, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MoParMaN

"AA" wrote in message
.home.nl...

[...]

The FL36R already comes as a remote flash. It's not that expensive and I
need another flash anyway... One can never have enough stuff.

Old February 5th 09, 10:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
D-Mac[_11_]

MoParMaN wrote:

[...]

OMG. I thought you were stretching the imagination telling us there was
a lake in Texas but the Harley? Naw... Couldn't possibly be Texas. They
all ride horses down there.

--
Meet D-Mac, the man they love to hate.
http://www.D-mac.info
Old February 5th 09, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MoParMaN

"D-Mac" wrote in message
MoParMaN wrote:

[...]

Lake Hawkins, a small little lake that is the home to Ozarka Water... It's
not a Hardley, it's a Vulcan Nomad.
Hardley's are for guys that can't get it up, are scared of cars so they
think loud pipes will make them seen, and they are proud to buy an American
product that cost twice as much as a Honda.

Go figure....

Old February 6th 09, 12:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
D-Mac[_11_]

MoParMaN wrote:

"D-Mac" wrote in message
MoParMaN wrote:

[...]

Well.
I never was much on bikers. Sorry for the misunderstanding. You could
well be human after all!

I suppose you know that your Oly flash is good for 1/2000th sync?
Yeah. They make great glass and very nice flashlights. The problem with
a slave is that the sync speed drops to 1/250th at best. Even as low as
1/60th if the radio is not a high quality one.

I never saw a hummer up close but I've done some work with swallows
which are a pretty quick, darting bird. Even in daylight I needed a lot
of light to come close to freezing the wing flutter.

IF you hand hold the flash on a cable could you steady the camera on a
tripod and do a few experiments to get get it working on a single flash?

My experience has been that a single flash in high speed sync is the
way to go but sadly the jokers who last year posted some half way
decent hummer shots are secretive about their techniques.

A bit like where the Hardly riders get the dinero to pay twice as much
for the bikes with!

So is a vulcan a Honda?

--
Meet D-Mac, the man they love to hate.
http://www.D-mac.info
6/02/2009 10:10:49 AM
Old February 6th 09, 12:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MoParMaN

"D-Mac" wrote in message
MoParMaN wrote:

"D-Mac" wrote in message
MoParMaN wrote:

[...]

No, it's a Kawasaki. With a 95 cubic inch engine.

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/shendryx0001/

Here's some hummers I uploaded for another person to see. I have about 5
years worth of photo's, these I was just holding the camera with a 50X200
Olympus lens (100X400 in 35mm speak). I was 15 feet away and was not using
a flash (at least I don't think I was) in these. I think I had the camera in
auto too....

Old February 6th 09, 03:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

MoParMaN wrote:
[...]

Probably fine with the 36 (I assume that's a GN of 36 metres).

Note that the flash system is probably not focus weighted (though some
systems like mine are with the right lenses) but pre-flash. In your
circumstances, the system will tend to over flash so use the flash comp
to get it down.

Advantage of digital is you can use the monitor and histo to adjust the
flash comp or set manual power if the flash will be at a constant
distance from the subject.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

TTL flash with remote flash for Nikon Alan Calan Digital SLR Cameras 11 October 17th 07 11:16 AM
REMOTE FLASH....followup Digital Photography 9 September 13th 06 07:34 PM
REMOTE FLASH Digital Photography 4 September 11th 06 02:07 PM
remote flash with canon g5 James Digital Photography 12 December 21st 05 10:09 AM
WANTED: Remote Trigger for Canon 10D! N.E.1. Digital Photo Equipment For Sale 1 September 22nd 03 12:43 PM