1080p OK as a PC monitor?

Old September 29th 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Williams

Default 1080p OK as a PC monitor?

Some of the current crop of LCD HDTV sets have resolutions of 1080p
(typically 1920 x 1080 pixels) and some ALSO have PC inputs.
It it practical, for example, to use a 37" LCD HDTV set with a
resolution of 1080p, as my PC monitor?
Would PS images still be acceptably sharp on a 37" screen?
If so, that would be way cool because I plan to get a 37" LCD HDTV for
Christmas anyway. I could then just hook up my PC to it and have a
killer browser and PS workspace.
Bob Williams
Old September 29th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Bob Williams wrote:
Some of the current crop of LCD HDTV sets have resolutions of 1080p
(typically 1920 x 1080 pixels) and some ALSO have PC inputs.
It it practical, for example, to use a 37" LCD HDTV set with a
resolution of 1080p, as my PC monitor?
Would PS images still be acceptably sharp on a 37" screen?
If so, that would be way cool because I plan to get a 37" LCD HDTV for
Christmas anyway. I could then just hook up my PC to it and have a
killer browser and PS workspace.

My monitor is 1920 x 1200 with a diagonal of about 24". It sits about
21" from my nose. At that I have pivot my head a bit ... which is
probably a good thing...

As to using your 37" HDTV as a monitor, I wouldn't do that even if the
resolution is fine enough. My computers are in my office, my widescreen
TV is in another room with the amp and 6.1 speaker system...

Two worlds apart as far as I'm concerned...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old September 29th 08, 05:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
+FUCK YOU

well if u do use the lcd hdtv as ur monitor make sure that u r using the
hdmi ports. on the monitor. u can buy a dvi to hdmi converter very cheap

Old September 29th 08, 07:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_7_]

Bob Williams wrote:
Some of the current crop of LCD HDTV sets have resolutions of 1080p
(typically 1920 x 1080 pixels) and some ALSO have PC inputs.
It it practical, for example, to use a 37" LCD HDTV set with a
resolution of 1080p, as my PC monitor?
Would PS images still be acceptably sharp on a 37" screen?
If so, that would be way cool because I plan to get a 37" LCD HDTV
for Christmas anyway. I could then just hook up my PC to it and have a
killer browser and PS workspace.
Bob Williams

You would need to sit rather far away from the screen, though, and your
eyes might find the different distances from keyboard, document and screen
uncomfortable....

David

Old September 29th 08, 10:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
+FUCK YOU

I am sitting 24 inches from my screen because of poor eyesight. My screen is
32 in

"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message m...

Old September 29th 08, 10:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_7_]

+F**K YOU wrote:
I am sitting 24 inches from my screen because of poor eyesight. My
screen is 32 in

Please change you e-mail address to something less offensive, should you
wish me to read any more of your messages.

David

Old September 29th 08, 12:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

Bob Williams wrote:
Some of the current crop of LCD HDTV sets have resolutions of 1080p
(typically 1920 x 1080 pixels) and some ALSO have PC inputs.
It it practical, for example, to use a 37" LCD HDTV set with a
resolution of 1080p, as my PC monitor?
Would PS images still be acceptably sharp on a 37" screen?
If so, that would be way cool because I plan to get a 37" LCD HDTV
for Christmas anyway. I could then just hook up my PC to it and have
killer browser and PS workspace.

A friend of mine who is visually impaired does exactly that with a 37"
Sceptre. Works a treat.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old September 29th 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Ruether[_3_]

"Bob Williams" wrote in message ...

Some of the current crop of LCD HDTV sets have resolutions of 1080p (typically 1920 x 1080 pixels) and some ALSO have PC inputs.
It it practical, for example, to use a 37" LCD HDTV set with a resolution of 1080p, as my PC monitor?
Would PS images still be acceptably sharp on a 37" screen?
If so, that would be way cool because I plan to get a 37" LCD HDTV for Christmas anyway. I could then just hook up my PC to it
and have a killer browser and PS workspace.
Bob Williams

I was thinking of doing this with a 32" 1080p TV (although this
would be rather large for use as a monitor in my situation) so
that it could double as the bedroom TV. Two things made me
not do it. The only1080p TVs available at the time had "dynamic"
black levels and that feature was not defeatable (making them
useless as photo monitors), and all LCD panels change brightness
with viewing angle, making close-in viewing problematic. Also
worth considering (as you have...) is sharpness. LCD TVs aren't
all created equal with this, regardless of the stated resolutions.
There is also the matter of fast refresh rate (high for TV) vs.
color accuracy (low for photo monitoring). In the end, I got a
good but inexpensive 24" 1920x1200 LCD monitor plus a
so-so but inexpensive 37" LCD TV to cover the desired uses.
--David Ruether
www.donferrario.com/ruether

Old September 29th 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 9/29/08 4:45 AM, in article
, "David J Taylor"
wrote:

+F**K YOU wrote:
I am sitting 24 inches from my screen because of poor eyesight. My
screen is 32 in

Please change you e-mail address to something less offensive, should you
wish me to read any more of your messages.

David

You think that maybe, because of his poor vision, someone he knows 'gifted'
him his handle? LOL!

Seriously, I don't understand it. Sorta like the guy going around with the
"Kick Me" sign on his back. Grteat way to make friends, eh?!?

Old September 29th 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sharon

Here in Cupertino we have plasma TV's in some of the conference rooms. The
aspect ratio is distorted, but other than that they work fine. Not sure
what else would be concern with using an LCD.

Sharon