Typical life span of a SB800.

Old September 28th 08, 06:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
____

Default Typical life span of a SB800.

Was using my SB800 for a wedding today. Heard a gunshot like sound and
the tube must have blown, after 1 1/2 years worth of use and about
15,000 exposures. Just wonder if the tube can be replaced and is it cost
effective?

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old September 28th 08, 12:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank Arthur

"____" wrote in message

Was using my SB800 for a wedding today. Heard a gunshot like sound
and
the tube must have blown, after 1 1/2 years worth of use and about
15,000 exposures. Just wonder if the tube can be replaced and is it
cost
effective?

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.

15,000 exposures would be a lifetime of photographs. How long do you
examine each of those exposures and how many were worth keeping?

Old September 28th 08, 01:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
____

In article ,
"Frank Arthur" wrote:

"____" wrote in message

Was using my SB800 for a wedding today. Heard a gunshot like sound
and
the tube must have blown, after 1 1/2 years worth of use and about
15,000 exposures. Just wonder if the tube can be replaced and is it
cost
effective?

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.

15,000 exposures would be a lifetime of photographs. How long do you
examine each of those exposures and how many were worth keeping?

500 per wedding, I edit them down to 450 and turn them over to the
company I work for. They decide what the bride gets, 450 is my contract.

What does it matter, the question is related to whether the flash has
died prematurely- My Q flash has lasted multiple year before requiring a
tube.

For the record I estimate my image archive is well over 100,000 images
including film as well as strictly digital capture. I try to weed really
bad stuff right away, but chucking stuff arbitrarily is sometime not a
completely wise approach even if you have two of very similar shots.

So the question remain concerning the flash? Any knowledgable takers?

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old September 28th 08, 01:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
J. Clarke

Frank Arthur wrote:
"____" wrote in message

Was using my SB800 for a wedding today. Heard a gunshot like sound
and
the tube must have blown, after 1 1/2 years worth of use and about
15,000 exposures. Just wonder if the tube can be replaced and is it
cost
effective?

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.

15,000 exposures would be a lifetime of photographs. How long do you
examine each of those exposures and how many were worth keeping?

If he's a pro who has the good fortune to be working 5 days a week,
that's 40 exposures a day.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old September 28th 08, 03:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

On 2008-09-27 22:12:25 -0700, ____ said:

Was using my SB800 for a wedding today. Heard a gunshot like sound and
the tube must have blown, after 1 1/2 years worth of use and about
15,000 exposures. Just wonder if the tube can be replaced and is it cost
effective?

Probably best to ask Nikon that question. My understanding is that it
runs about $140 to replace a flash tube. That is a lot cheaper than a
new SB800. Turnaround time, in my experience, is about two business
days plus shipping time.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old September 28th 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

In Canada we get 2 years warranty on Flash and Cameras. I always buy my
Photo gear on my credit card so I get the extended warranty offered by the
credit card company.

Last time I had a flash unit fixed for a blown flash tube the cost was $40
for tube and $85 for labour and shipping.

15k exposures on a flash tube is nothing it could possibly be a blown
capacitor.

Old September 28th 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Frank Arthur wrote:
"____" wrote in message
Was using my SB800 for a wedding today. Heard a gunshot like sound
and
the tube must have blown, after 1 1/2 years worth of use and about
15,000 exposures. Just wonder if the tube can be replaced and is it
cost
effective?

15,000 exposures would be a lifetime of photographs. How long do you
examine each of those exposures and how many were worth keeping?

I've scanned over 10,000 slides and negatives since about 1999. Those
were shots that were (mainly) worth scanning...

Once upon a time, a Nat Geo article took an average of 29,000 frames on
film. This has actually reduced with digital

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

On 2008-09-27 22:12:25 -0700, ____ said:

Was using my SB800 for a wedding today. Heard a gunshot like sound and
the tube must have blown, after 1 1/2 years worth of use and about
15,000 exposures. Just wonder if the tube can be replaced and is it cost
effective?

Probably best to ask Nikon that question. My understanding is that it
runs about $140 to replace a flash tube. That is a lot cheaper than a
new SB800. Turnaround time, in my experience, is about two business
days plus shipping time.

You guys have been very helpful- it's much appreciated, I'll contact the
dealer I frequent.

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.