I need to change a Fujifilm flash bulb

Old March 7th 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
soxmax

Default I need to change a Fujifilm flash bulb

The flash bulb in my Fujifilm Finepix F30 no longer works. I would
like to change this out myself if possible. Will someone please direct
me to a website or other resource where I can find directions and
parts?

Thanks,
Derek
Old March 7th 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

How old is the Camera?
Sometimes it is less expensive to bin a defective digital and to replace it
with new one with updated features, than repair it .

Old March 7th 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Not under warranty?

If you are Canadian and bought the camera from an authorised Fuji dealer in
Canada after October 1 2006 then it is covered by a Fuji 3 year warranty.

Old March 7th 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
HEMI-Powered

soxmax added these comments in the current discussion du jour

The flash bulb in my Fujifilm Finepix F30 no longer works. I
would like to change this out myself if possible. Will someone
please direct me to a website or other resource where I can
find directions and parts?

Thanks,
Derek

flash bulb?!

--
HP, aka Jerry

"Surely you jest - and don't call me Shirley!" - from the movie
"Airplane!"
Old March 7th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
soxmax

On Mar 7, 10:45*am, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
* * How are you at handling high voltage? *Those flash tubes are powered by
some mighty high voltage. *I have managed to zap myself with them and it is
an memorable experience.

* * It is not a user serviceable part. *I suggest having it repaired
professionally. * There could be any of many possible problems.

* * I would also suggest getting a price before letting someone work on it.
It might turn out to be a good time to upgrade?

* * Any possibility it is still under warranty?

--
Joseph Meehan

*Dia 's Muire duit

"soxmax" wrote in message

The flash bulb in my Fujifilm Finepix F30 no longer works. I would
like to change this out myself if possible. Will someone please direct
me to a website or other resource where I can find directions and
parts?

Thanks,
Derek- Hide quoted text -

It was run over by about a dozen snowmobiles so I doubt it is covered
by warranty. We had it in a scuba casing - we originally bought the
camera for underwater point-and-click. The case is the big loss since
it was crushed and is no longer leak proof. However, the flash bulb is
the only thing that doesn't work on the camera anymore so I was hoping
to just resolder or replace it. Everything else works so I am
reluctant to take the camera apart without proper assembly
instructions or at least a parts breakdown. I am pretty handy with the
full spectrum of voltages: I was a radar tech in the military and now
I'm an electrical engineer.
Old March 7th 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
soxmax

On Mar 7, 1:27*pm, "HEMI-Powered" wrote:
soxmax added these comments in the current discussion du jour

The flash bulb in my Fujifilm Finepix F30 no longer works. I
would like to change this out myself if possible. Will someone
please direct me to a website or other resource where I can
find directions and parts?

Thanks,
Derek

flash bulb?!

--
HP, aka Jerry

"Surely you jest - and don't call me Shirley!" - from the movie
"Airplane!"

Is "flash bulb" incorrect nomencalature? I am referring to the light
at the top of the camera casing that flashes when you press the
shutter button. I am reluctant to call it a "flash light" for obvious
reasons. Is there a common name for this light in the digital world?
Old March 7th 08, 10:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
HEMI-Powered

soxmax added these comments in the current discussion du jour

The flash bulb in my Fujifilm Finepix F30 no longer works.
I would like to change this out myself if possible. Will
someone please direct me to a website or other resource
where I can find directions and parts?

flash bulb?!

Is "flash bulb" incorrect nomencalature? I am referring to the
light at the top of the camera casing that flashes when you
press the shutter button. I am reluctant to call it a "flash
light" for obvious reasons. Is there a common name for this
light in the digital world?

Well, at one time these thingies were called "electronic flashes"
vs. "real" glass bulbs that exploded with a very bright but very
short duration burst of light. Thus, they came to be known as
"flash bulbs" and came in literally dozens of sizes and shapes.
Perhaps simply saying that your camera's flash quit and let it go
at that or perhaps call it what some camera makers call a "speed
light".

Old March 7th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
peter

Is "flash bulb" incorrect nomencalature? I am referring to the light
at the top of the camera casing that flashes when you press the
shutter button. I am reluctant to call it a "flash light" for obvious
reasons. Is there a common name for this light in the digital world?

Flash bulbs are one-use bulbs that "explodes" when fired. Those were popular
40 years ago.

Modern flash uses xenon flash tube. They come in all sorts of sizes. I don't
know how easy it is to get the right one without getting it from Fuji. Or
you can try to buy a broken camera of the same model and take the flash tube
out of it.

Old March 8th 08, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
soxmax

On Mar 7, 2:59*pm, "HEMI-Powered" wrote:
[...]

Fair enough. I won't call it the flash because that can be confused
with the flash memory in the camera. The flash memory in the camera is
what contains the camera's firmware and software. In my industry when
we say "the system's flash" it is referring to the flash memory.
"Speed light" just sounds silly. I think I like "electronic flash" but
that could still be confused with flash memory. Do you think "flash
tube" is okay?
Old March 8th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G[_2_]

"soxmax" wrote in message
The flash bulb in my Fujifilm Finepix F30 no longer works. I would
like to change this out myself if possible. Will someone please direct
me to a website or other resource where I can find directions and
parts?

Thanks,
Derek

There could be a fault any where in the Flash Circuit, rather than just the
Flash Tube.

Roy G