Starter slr question

Old December 23rd 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
AAvK

Default Starter slr question

I have a problem finding what I want with both....I need to get about the
business of inventorying all of my slides on Excel or some similar
spreadsheet.....I can number each one with a fine pen and India ink, and
then add it to the spreadsheet so I will be able to find any subject in a
few seconds time.....It's just a job that I dread starting, because I know
that it will keep me busy for hours and hours. Just doing the same thing
with my sheet music books took me over 20 or 30 hours of work, but now I can
find any piece of music I want in a few seconds, instead of having to hunt
through about 30 books for it as I used to do.

Just have some rubber stamps made up, per catagory, and your numbering system.
AAvK
Old December 23rd 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Polson

"William Graham" wrote:

Mine were predictable....I shouldn't eat just before I go to sleep.....I
went back to bed after about an hour (computing in a cold house) and slept
till noon.....Today I am fine. Hope your problem goes away too.......

It did, William. Thanks!

In my case it was eating the wrong thing - something I like but which
doesn't seem to like me. If I eat anything too late the same thing
happens.
Old December 23rd 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
AAvK[_2_]

I also don't have my slides inventoried mainly because of the same time
concerns you have. I will say that I have seen a lot of references to
ways to do this right within books on stock photography and books on
professional photography. Here's what I remember -- For a professional
look, use adhesive slide labels. You could create a template in Word or
another program, or use a dedicated program like Caption Writer or Stock
View. For storing many put them in 3 ring slide sheets. Create a naming
convention before you start, based on info from a reference book. You
could assign keywords in the database, spreadsheet, or dedicated
program.

I know I've left off many details ... I'd just do some google searching
for "slide labeling" and skim through some books at a bookstore or
library.

Good luck.

YES there is printing software and their propriatary labels, made especially for slides!
I forgot the name tho... lol
AAvK
Old December 24th 07, 06:17 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"AAvK" wrote in message

I also don't have my slides inventoried mainly because of the same time
concerns you have. I will say that I have seen a lot of references to
ways to do this right within books on stock photography and books on
professional photography. Here's what I remember -- For a professional
look, use adhesive slide labels. You could create a template in Word or
another program, or use a dedicated program like Caption Writer or Stock
View. For storing many put them in 3 ring slide sheets. Create a naming
convention before you start, based on info from a reference book. You
could assign keywords in the database, spreadsheet, or dedicated program.
I know I've left off many details ... I'd just do some google searching
for "slide labeling" and skim through some books at a bookstore or
library.

Good luck.

To me, the essential thing is the spreadsheet information....Being able to
identify the slide by subject, date, location, etc. Where you actually keep
the slides, and what number is on them is irrelevant, just so long as you
can go right to them in a hurry, and they are kept clean and dry.

This is true of any inventory system....I did it once with all my junk. I
put it all in large (17 gallon) plastic boxes, and numbered each box with a
large tag that I could read from across the room. Actually what was in each
box was irrelevant....I had clothes mixed up with binoculars, sporting
equipment, guns....whatever....It didn't matter. What mattered was the
description of each item on my Excel spreadsheet. If I wanted my canteen,
(for example) I would just look it up on the computer, and it would say it
was in bin 23. Then, I would go to that bin, pull it out onto a small roll
around table and open it up, and vuala! There would be the canteen mixed
with junk that had nothing to do with canteens.....Then, I would leave that
bin out on the table until I had finished using the canteen, and then I
would put the canteen back in that bin, and put it away again. I found that
48 inch wide Gorilla racks could hold 15 of those 17 gallon plastic bins, so
I only needed about 4 or 5 gorilla racks to hold all my stuff. It worked
beautifully until I moved, and had to lose it. (for complicated reasons
which were partly political)