raw editing

Old December 22nd 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

Default raw editing

"." wrote in message
On Dec 22, 6:53 am, Subdive wrote:
On 22 Dec, 04:46, "Dick Blisters" wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions about which program is good/best for
editing raw photos?

Adobe Lightroom is doing the job really well. It's easy to build up an
effective workflow with Lightroom. I use it all the way from import to
output , such as prints and high resolution tiffs for delivery to my
clients etc. Of course u might need to use photoshop or some other prg
now and then depending on the work atm.

My advise is that you download some trial versions of different RAW
converters, try them out and see which one suits your needs.

Just curious. Do some cameras that allow photographing in RAW format,
not provide software to edit those files? I recently bought an Olympus
E-510 and 2 software programs came with it and both can edit RAW. I am
considering Photoshop but decided to try these programs for a while
before purchasing. So far I'm happy with the software but imagine
there are advantages to Photoshop that are not available in them.

Charlie

All cameras will provide at least a basic tool to convert from RAW to
something that is editable as yours does, but like yours does not save back
to RAW, the exception is those few cameras that "convert" in camera to DNG
format and use that as their RAW, tools like Lightroom will save back to
DNG. Someone had said that the Nikon Capture NX does but I am surprised it
saves back to NEF format but I stand to be corrected.
Cheers.

Pete

Old December 22nd 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article
,
wrote:

Just curious. Do some cameras that allow photographing in RAW format,
not provide software to edit those files? I recently bought an Olympus
E-510 and 2 software programs came with it and both can edit RAW. I am
considering Photoshop but decided to try these programs for a while
before purchasing. So far I'm happy with the software but imagine
there are advantages to Photoshop that are not available in them.

third party raw converters might do a better and/or faster job at the
raw conversion, be easier to use, offer features that the bundled
software does not, integrate with other software you want to use, etc.
Old December 22nd 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
.[_2_]

On Dec 22, 11:52*am, "Pete D" wrote:
"." wrote in message

[...]

If I understand RAW and I may not totally, it is logical since
everything about that exposure is saved, that it is not allowed to be
corrupted but kept as the original for possible later use.

Charlie
Old December 22nd 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Calan

One of the reasons, but not one that was overriding ones, I wanted a
digital slr was because I wanted to have the manipulation ability that
the raw mode gives you. Having never used anything in raw mode, I
really have no idea whaT that means.

I assume the raw mode allows the editor to easily make global changes
to pictures. I assume going from the most global to the most micro,
you'd start first with changing color to black and while, flourescent
to normal or sunlight...etc I imagine you can to some degree make
after the fact lighting changes, remove shadows and add spotlights.
You can tint, sharpen, allign and lots of other things. Am I on the
right track?

Is there a list someplace of what can be done and how easily?

Alan

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 14:57:59 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article
,

Old December 23rd 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
N[_3_]

"Pete D" wrote in message

[...]

The discussion here is about editing raw rather than converting raw.
Probably not what the OP intended :-)

Old December 23rd 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"N" wrote in message
"Pete D" wrote in message

[...]

I think you are right but it is the same thing really in the end as long as
you are doing lossless saves and do not corrupt the original, DNG will
actually let you corrupt the original but maybe only if you use Adobe tools
(not many others work with DNG).

Cheers.

Pete

Old December 23rd 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

"N" wrote:
"Pete D" wrote in message

[...]

If you make that distinction, the fact is there is no
such thing as a program that edits the raw data. The
*only* function available is *conversion* from raw data
to something else, and then that format, whatever it is
can be edited.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old December 23rd 07, 07:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gautam Majumdar

Alan Calan wrote:

One of the reasons, but not one that was overriding ones, I wanted a
digital slr was because I wanted to have the manipulation ability that
the raw mode gives you. Having never used anything in raw mode, I
really have no idea whaT that means.

I assume the raw mode allows the editor to easily make global changes
to pictures. I assume going from the most global to the most micro,
you'd start first with changing color to black and while, flourescent
to normal or sunlight...etc I imagine you can to some degree make
after the fact lighting changes, remove shadows and add spotlights.
You can tint, sharpen, allign and lots of other things. Am I on the
right track?

Some parameters are easier to change at the time of raw conversion, others
you have to do on a converted format. Programs that allow editing in raw do
not change the raw file. They attach the information about the changes to
the raw file so that when opened again with the same program the previously
made changes were put back. However, if you open the raw file with a
different raw editor, you will get the original file, unless the second
editor can read the attachment made by the first editor (this appears to be
rare). When you convert (tiff, jpg or the proprietary format for the
software) the changes are saved as part of the file and you cannot go back
to the original.

The corrections that are easier to make at the time of conversion are
exposure and white balance. Sharpening and other things are easier to do on
a converted file.

Is there a list someplace of what can be done and how easily?

Consider getting the book "Understanding RAW Photography" by Andy Rouse

--
gautam
Old December 23rd 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Calan

Thanks for the recommendation of the book and I have a feeling I'll be
spending some time in the library in the next few months. I hope they
have some of these books.

Alan

Old December 23rd 07, 06:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Calan

Floyd,

I must be missing something. If, all you can do is convert raw to
JPEG or TIFF, and then edit in the new files, what are you gaining? Is
it that you get the best possible JPEG by shooting raw or is there
something lse that raw gives you?

Nevermind, I found a great article that explains the basics of raw.
For those of you who are not well versed in digital, check out this
explanation of raw.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...ile-format.htm

What I can say is that the sensors produce a raw file that is very big
and it needs to be processed. The computer in the camera is not very
powerful so it's processing ability is limited. Therefore, by taking
the unprocessed raw file to the computer, which has much greater
capacity, a much finer level of processing can be done. Read the
attached article.

Alan

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 19:10:45 -0900, (Floyd L.
Davidson) wrote:

The discussion here is about editing raw rather than converting raw.
Probably not what the OP intended :-)

If you make that distinction, the fact is there is no
such thing as a program that edits the raw data. The
*only* function available is *conversion* from raw data
to something else, and then that format, whatever it is
can be edited.

Editing metadata Robert Peirce Digital SLR Cameras 2 April 12th 07 07:29 PM
Avi editing jr. Digital Photography 2 November 2nd 05 07:18 PM
EXIF editing on the Mac [email protected] Digital Photography 0 October 24th 05 06:50 PM
HOW MUCH RAM FORPHOTO EDITING? [email protected] Digital Photography 27 May 5th 05 07:44 AM
Editing Software Stephen Manaton Digital Photography 17 April 20th 05 12:39 PM