My Olympus 5060 needs replacing - what next

Old December 20th 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
AAvK

Default My Olympus 5060 needs replacing - what next

Getting a bit technical for me but I appreciate your help.
On the Dpreview site it say the wide angle is 27mm?

Ken

OOPS! You're RIGHT! I forgot. I still wouldn't buy it myself. They still blew it IMO.
AAvK
Old December 24th 07, 12:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

Ken wrote:
"bugbear" wrote in message
Ken wrote:
Had this camera a number of years and been very pleased with it and
looking to find replacement but wonder what to look at next?
I looked on DP Review but wonder if anyone has any tips based on my
actual needs. Looking for: more than 4 times optical zoom, anti shake,
not SLR & must have 28 mm lens - definitely no wider (don't want have to
use wide angle converters).
I use the camera almost exclusively for interior room shots, buildings &
landscapes in my work closely related to Estate Agency/Real Estate.

I think your lens requirments mean
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 or Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ2

I did
Format: Compact
Release Status: Not discontinued (current or upcoming)
Zoom wide (W): 28 mm or less
Zoom tele (T): 135 mm or more

at dpreview, and only got 5 cameras.

BugBear

The TZ3 looks promising but I am not sure about relying only on the LCD with
a viewfinder unless the LCD screen has improved dramatically, from a few
years ago, where they don't work well in the sun. But good suggestions as
quite compact!!

If you add many more restrictions, my friend,
you'll have a candidate pool of 0, which might
make taking any pictures at all tricky.

BugBear
Old December 28th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken

"AAvK" wrote in message
news
I see on dpreview it is highly recommended.
Missed that one so I will take a close look.
I wonder is the S8000fd is an updated version or not?

Ken

No that s8000 is very different, the lens starts it's wide end at a longer
focal length
(like 36mm or so), AND since the s8000 CCD is smaller (not good), the zoom
lens
is a much longer focal length which is not needed for me or your needs
either, per
your ststements. The bigger the taking element, whether film or CCD/CMOS,
the
bigger the lens will be and vice-versa. And you might consider the s9100
for it's 9
megapixels. The s6000 makes as big as a 6 mp file, though the files can
be interpolated
up 300% at the most (Genuine Fractals, a plug-in software for Photoshop).

--
Giant_Alex })))*
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

After reading your replies I have been taking a very very close look at the
Fuji S6000fd/S6500fd as well as the Fuji S9100/S9600 and feel I will
definitely be buying one of them -- but can't make my mind up which one. The
S9600 is dearer but has a tilt on the LCD which for my use is a benefit but
I wondered if the LCD on the S6000fd/S65000fd. was viewable, at an angle,
and how much of an angle. This will be the deciding factor - so no
pressure!!!

Ken

Old December 29th 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
AAvK[_2_]

"Ken" Reply to NG only wrote in message ...

After reading your replies I have been taking a very very close look at the Fuji S6000fd/S6500fd as well as the Fuji S9100/S9600
and feel I will definitely be buying one of them -- but can't make my mind up which one. The S9600 is dearer but has a tilt on the
LCD which for my use is a benefit but I wondered if the LCD on the S6000fd/S65000fd. was viewable, at an angle, and how much of an
angle. This will be the deciding factor - so no pressure!!!

Ken

I use the s6000fd and it does not have an articulating lcd, solid in there. On the s9100
the display flips up to a couple positions, you can waist-level shoot nicely but it doesn't
twist out to the side or flip 180º the other way or anything like that.

An aside set of notes, the CCD in the s9100 (1/1.6) is larger than the one in the s6000fd
(1/1.7), but only by a fraction. I think think the lens/ccd combo in the s6000fd is better
balanced for sharpness than the s9100, related to "rear of the lens circle projection" to
different sized CCDs, as far as all I have seen in image samples, I suspect the s9100 is not
as sharp because of those difference factors and producing 9 megapixels instead of 6.3...
not quite as sharp (IMO only!).

BUT on those OS's you set the sharpness to low-normal-high, I strictly keep mine on
high no matter what. The lens superb, but AF is a too sluggish, very basic. You probably
be better off with a Nikon d40/ that has an APS sized CCD (much larger) and much faster
at focussing.

Old December 31st 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken

"AAvK" wrote in message

[...]

Hi

Many thanks for your taking the trouble to help but I found out a friend of
mine has a Fuji 6500fd and I never knew. It is rarely used as he has pocket
sized camera he carries around all the time but he wants to hang on to the
6500. However he lent it me over the past few days which has proven a really
big help. I have now dropped my requirement for the tilting LCD but have
also realised I need to up my budget and have now ordered an Olympus 410
digital SLR which I feel will be dearer but better longer term option.

Ken

Old December 31st 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
AAvK[_2_]

Hi

Many thanks for your taking the trouble to help but I found out a friend of
mine has a Fuji 6500fd and I never knew. It is rarely used as he has pocket
sized camera he carries around all the time but he wants to hang on to the
6500. However he lent it me over the past few days which has proven a really
big help. I have now dropped my requirement for the tilting LCD but have
also realised I need to up my budget and have now ordered an Olympus 410
digital SLR which I feel will be dearer but better longer term option.

Ken

Yeah that one has a 4/3 CCD in it, of a recent few years a "new standard" created by Olympus,
about half the size of APS-C sized CCDs. It is an interchangeable lens point and shoot with a
larger CCD than a point and shoot, larger than the Fuji's as well, so, pretty good choice.

Suggestion: always use the Adobe RGB space for deeper color than sRGB. The latter was
designed for internet JPG color qualities, and is more limited.

Did you get the two lens outfit?

Old January 1st 08, 10:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken

"AAvK" wrote in message

[...]

It includes a 14-42mm Lens which will be fine for my day to day needs and I
can add to in due course. I came to the decision after spending a great deal
of time looking at all the review sites and looking in dealers which, where
I live, in the UK are very very thin on the ground! I feel very confident
( I hope) that both internal and external shots will be to a high quality.
I can use all my memory cards which is a bonus but never part of the
decision making process and I can use my Olympus flash unit only bought a
few months ago and which I have never really mastered. It also fits in my
bag where the 6000 meant buying a new one. Lastly on downloading shots taken
with the camera I found the Olympus ones were easier to manipulate than some
of the others.

So for £275 after Olympus £50 rebate offer, even only one lens it is a
really good buy in the UK. The camera dealers tell me most buyers are
looking at the super zooms up to 18.5x and which I felt were very good for
day to day family needs but mine is for my work!!

Ken

Old January 1st 08, 10:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_4_]

Ken wrote:
[]
It includes a 14-42mm Lens which will be fine for my day to day needs
and I can add to in due course. I came to the decision after spending
a great deal of time looking at all the review sites and looking in
dealers which, where I live, in the UK are very very thin on the
ground!

However, in many parts of the UK there are plenty of camera dealers
carrying Olympus kit. Major chains such as Dixons, Jessops etc.

[]
So for £275 after Olympus £50 rebate offer, even only one lens it is a
really good buy in the UK. The camera dealers tell me most buyers are
looking at the super zooms up to 18.5x and which I felt were very
good for day to day family needs but mine is for my work!!

Ken

I also looked at the Olympus range, but found it awkward in comparison
with the Nikon D40, and with a darker viewfinder as well. The Live View
wasn't quite enough to win me over. Glad you found what suited you.

Cheers,
David

Old January 1st 08, 10:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken

"David J Taylor"
wrote in message . uk...
Ken wrote:
[]
[...]

I must admit it was an extremely helpful young girl, in my local Dixons,
that persuaded me over to looking at SLR. She was suggesting the Nikon D40
which I was hovering over. But made my decision and hoping it will be OK!
The live preview was definitely the deciding factor between the two. I am in
Devon and dealers really are in short supply - some shops even have no
batteries in many of the cameras s it has been hard work going fro shop to
shop and often only seeing one camera. But always phoning first to see what
they had.

Ken

Old January 1st 08, 10:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_4_]

Ken wrote:
[]
I must admit it was an extremely helpful young girl, in my local
Dixons, that persuaded me over to looking at SLR. She was suggesting
the Nikon D40 which I was hovering over. But made my decision and
hoping it will be OK! The live preview was definitely the deciding
factor between the two. I am in Devon and dealers really are in short
supply - some shops even have no batteries in many of the cameras s
it has been hard work going fro shop to shop and often only seeing
one camera. But always phoning first to see what they had.

Ken

Ken, it was a number of things which made the Nikon my preference -
handling, brighter viewfinder, better high-ISO performance, in-lens image
stabilisation, cheaper lenses, and so on.

The young lady in the Edinburgh Dixons was an Olympus enthusiast, although
they had Nikon as well. It's a short walk between there and Jessops, so
you can really compare very well. There used to be Edinburgh Cameras, but
they closed down recently, and there is still G D Young (which I don't
like quite as much, and I'm not sure why).

I bought from Jessops, even though the price was higher than on the
Internet. I now have the D40 with an 18-55mm, 55-200mm VR and 70-300mm VR
lenses (that's 27-82, 82-300, and 106-450mm lenses in "35mm equivalent
terms". Got some good photos of the local fireworks last night, the first
time using full manual control mode. 1 second at f/11, ISO 200. Still
slightly over exposed.

Cheers,
David