My Olympus 5060 needs replacing - what next

Old December 19th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken

Default My Olympus 5060 needs replacing - what next

Had this camera a number of years and been very pleased with it and looking
to find replacement but wonder what to look at next?
I looked on DP Review but wonder if anyone has any tips based on my actual
needs. Looking for: more than 4 times optical zoom, anti shake, not SLR &
must have 28 mm lens - definitely no wider (don't want have to use wide
angle converters).
I use the camera almost exclusively for interior room shots, buildings &
landscapes in my work closely related to Estate Agency/Real Estate.

Help would be useful.

Ken

Old December 19th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

Ken wrote:
Had this camera a number of years and been very pleased with it and looking
to find replacement but wonder what to look at next?
I looked on DP Review but wonder if anyone has any tips based on my actual
needs. Looking for: more than 4 times optical zoom, anti shake, not SLR &
must have 28 mm lens - definitely no wider (don't want have to use wide
angle converters).
I use the camera almost exclusively for interior room shots, buildings &
landscapes in my work closely related to Estate Agency/Real Estate.

I think your lens requirments mean
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 or Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ2

I did
Format: Compact
Release Status: Not discontinued (current or upcoming)
Zoom wide (W): 28 mm or less
Zoom tele (T): 135 mm or more

at dpreview, and only got 5 cameras.

BugBear
Old December 19th 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:29:11 +0000, Ken wrote:

Had this camera a number of years and been very pleased with it and looking
to find replacement but wonder what to look at next?
I looked on DP Review but wonder if anyone has any tips based on my actual
needs. Looking for: more than 4 times optical zoom, anti shake, not SLR &
must have 28 mm lens - definitely no wider (don't want have to use wide
angle converters).
I use the camera almost exclusively for interior room shots, buildings &
landscapes in my work closely related to Estate Agency/Real Estate.

Help would be useful.

Ken

If you use it 'almost exclusively for interior room shots, buildings &
landscapes' then why the requirement for 'more than 4 times optical
zoom'? But, at any rate, it sounds like you might be in the bargain for
an EVF. I'd suggest you look at several. One issue that was a big one
for me (though it does not seem to bother other folks) is the resolution
of the Electronic ViewFinder. Several models are hampered by only a 110k
pixel EVF - I find that totally inadequate - I need 220k or more. If you
try one of each you should see the difference. Kodak makes sever Z
series cameras which would fill the bill. I have a particular preference
for the discontinued P series (I have a P850) which has full manual
control and saves in jpeg, raw, tiff. You might check the Kodak online
store for refurb units to get a good price.

Old December 19th 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken

"ray" wrote in message
news
[...]

I need a better than 4 x optical zoom because sometimes I have to take a
shot, of a property from the other side of the river, or such because it is
the only way I can get a full frontal shot. The area where I operate has
lots of hills and if I get closer, on a narrow lane or the land is dropping
I just can't get the right shot. Have tried with digital zoom but extremely
disappointed with end results.

I used to have a Kodak but nothing in their current line up matches my spec.

Ken

Old December 19th 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken

"bugbear" wrote in message
Ken wrote:
[...]

The TZ3 looks promising but I am not sure about relying only on the LCD with
a viewfinder unless the LCD screen has improved dramatically, from a few
years ago, where they don't work well in the sun. But good suggestions as
quite compact!!

Ken

Old December 19th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
AAvK

"Ken" Reply to NG only wrote in message ...
Had this camera a number of years and been very pleased with it and looking
to find replacement but wonder what to look at next?
I looked on DP Review but wonder if anyone has any tips based on my actual
needs. Looking for: more than 4 times optical zoom, anti shake, not SLR &
must have 28 mm lens - definitely no wider (don't want have to use wide
angle converters).
I use the camera almost exclusively for interior room shots, buildings &
landscapes in my work closely related to Estate Agency/Real Estate.

Help would be useful.

Ken

I suggest try out a Fujifilm s6000fd, which has super low noise at high ISO settings,
this will provide faster shutter speeds inside of places you shoot, giving print-worthy
shots at 1600 speed.

It also has a powerful built in iflash, guide # of 28 feet at ISO 100. The higher the
ISO the higher the guide # goes. You cannot attach a flash, no hot shoe or flash
dedication, but you could use a bracket/handle (in the tripod mount) that has a shoe
or two and use a "slave flash" (sometimes called a "digital flash"), which would fire
off the camera's flash.

It's lens does start at 28mm (35mm equivelent) and since the lens has filter threads
on the front (58mm) you can attach a wide auxilliary lens and get wider. The lens is
a 10.7X. This camera (I think) would do much better than the old 5060, for the
reasons I've given.

Check out the Simon Joinson review:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms6000fd/ He says the low noise qualities
of this cameras are the best you can find (no doubt meaning: in a P/S).
product page:
http://www.fujifilmusa.com/digitalca...vBarId=I856004

I use this camera myself, and it DOES produce really high quality images! And I paid
1/2 price for an Xd picture card on ebay.

Good luck,

--
Giant_Alex })))*
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/
Old December 19th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken

"AAvK" wrote in message

[...]

I see on dpreview it is highly recommended.
Missed that one so I will take a close look.
I wonder is the S8000fd is an updated version or not?

Ken

Old December 20th 07, 12:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
AAvK

I see on dpreview it is highly recommended.
Missed that one so I will take a close look.
I wonder is the S8000fd is an updated version or not?

Ken

No that s8000 is very different, the lens starts it's wide end at a longer focal length
(like 36mm or so), AND since the s8000 CCD is smaller (not good), the zoom lens
is a much longer focal length which is not needed for me or your needs either, per
your ststements. The bigger the taking element, whether film or CCD/CMOS, the
bigger the lens will be and vice-versa. And you might consider the s9100 for it's 9
megapixels. The s6000 makes as big as a 6 mp file, though the files can be interpolated
up 300% at the most (Genuine Fractals, a plug-in software for Photoshop).

Old December 20th 07, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 20:17:04 -0000, "Ken" Reply to NG only wrote:

I see on dpreview it is highly recommended.
Missed that one so I will take a close look.
I wonder is the S8000fd is an updated version or not?

No. It reverted to using a small sensor, so it doesn't have the
S6000's high ISO advantage.

Old December 20th 07, 08:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken

"AAvK" wrote in message
news
[...]

Getting a bit technical for me but I appreciate your help.
On the Dpreview site it say the wide angle is 27mm?

Ken