Alternatives to Panasonic TZ3? Or, best camera for $250?

Old December 10th 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
AKT

Default Alternatives to Panasonic TZ3? Or, best camera for $250?

A friend has posed the following question: If I like the Panasonic TZ3,
what are the competitive offerings from Nikon, Canon, etc?

Is there something else which is better value with similar price range
and zoom range? What would beat TZ3 under $300 list or $250 street?

Old December 10th 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:32:29 GMT, AKT wrote:

A friend has posed the following question: If I like the Panasonic TZ3,
what are the competitive offerings from Nikon, Canon, etc?

Is there something else which is better value with similar price range
and zoom range? What would beat TZ3 under $300 list or $250 street?

Have a look at the Sony H3.
Old December 10th 07, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Daniel Silevitch

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:32:29 GMT, AKT wrote:
A friend has posed the following question: If I like the Panasonic TZ3,
what are the competitive offerings from Nikon, Canon, etc?

Is there something else which is better value with similar price range
and zoom range? What would beat TZ3 under $300 list or $250 street?

Browsing the listings at B&H, there's a Canon that looks broadly similar
(ie 10x zoom range in a compact body), the SX100 IS. $300 at B&H,
availability is listed as "Arrival late November". Since that was a week
or two ago, maybe they're in stock.

I can't recall seeing any reviews of that model, so no idea how well it
compares to the TZ3.

-dms
Old December 11th 07, 09:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_4_]

irwell wrote:
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:32:29 GMT, AKT wrote:

A friend has posed the following question: If I like the Panasonic
TZ3, what are the competitive offerings from Nikon, Canon, etc?

Is there something else which is better value with similar price
range and zoom range? What would beat TZ3 under $300 list or $250
street?

Have a look at the Sony H3.

Much bigger, no wide-angle.

David

Old December 11th 07, 09:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_4_]

AAvK wrote:
A friend has posed the following question: If I like the Panasonic
TZ3, what are the competitive offerings from Nikon, Canon, etc?

Is there something else which is better value with similar price
range and zoom range? What would beat TZ3 under $300 list or $250
street?

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/digitalca...vBarId=I856004
"AKT" wrote in message

Far bigger, no optical image stabilisation.

David

Old December 11th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:05:38 GMT, "David J Taylor"
wrote:

irwell wrote:
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:32:29 GMT, AKT wrote:

A friend has posed the following question: If I like the Panasonic
TZ3, what are the competitive offerings from Nikon, Canon, etc?

Is there something else which is better value with similar price
range and zoom range? What would beat TZ3 under $300 list or $250
street?

Have a look at the Sony H3.

Much bigger,

DEpends on how much is much!
sony H3 4.2x2.7.x1.9 inches
TZ3 4.1x2.3x1.5 inches

no wide-angle.

No wide angle, but there is a Lens Thread, also Manual Focus(presets).
and 30 second shutter speed, if ever needed.'

If the OP's friend likes the Panasonic TZ3 he will probably like
the Sony H3. The H3 feels nice in the hand, just wish there was
viewfinder as well as the LCD, the picture quality is outstanding.

David

Old December 11th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_4_]

irwell wrote:
[]
No wide angle, but there is a Lens Thread, also Manual Focus(presets).
and 30 second shutter speed, if ever needed.'

I've wanted a 28mm wide angle far more often than a lens thread or manual
focus - but of course, people's need differ. The TZ3 has up to 60 seconds
exposure, BTW.

If the OP's friend likes the Panasonic TZ3 he will probably like
the Sony H3. The H3 feels nice in the hand, just wish there was
viewfinder as well as the LCD, the picture quality is outstanding.

I always agree with testing the feel of a camera - most important.

Cheers,
David

Old December 11th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Martindale

Daniel Silevitch writes:

Browsing the listings at B&H, there's a Canon that looks broadly similar
(ie 10x zoom range in a compact body), the SX100 IS. $300 at B&H,
availability is listed as "Arrival late November". Since that was a week
or two ago, maybe they're in stock.

I've seen one at a Best Buy in Vancouver BC, so they're shipping. The
price is CDN$320.

Note that this camera does not have an optical viewfinder. That may
disqualify it if that matters to you. It *does* have a pop-up flash in
the place where the viewfinder would otherwise be, which is likely to
help reduce redeye.

Dave