Camera with ultra-slow burst mode?

Old September 17th 07, 10:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hardin

Default Camera with ultra-slow burst mode?

Is there a camera out there that snaps a photo say every ten seconds?

A self-timer that repeats itself every so often. But not so fast as
to be close to a movie.

Maybe a time-lapse movie mode.

Old September 17th 07, 11:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

Ron Hardin wrote:
Is there a camera out there that snaps a photo say every ten seconds?

A self-timer that repeats itself every so often. But not so fast as
to be close to a movie.

Maybe a time-lapse movie mode.

dpreview has it as "Timelapse recording"
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

If you have a Canon camera with DIGIC II you're good.

http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHD...erval_Shooting

BugBear
Old September 17th 07, 11:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jeff Layman

Ron Hardin wrote:
Is there a camera out there that snaps a photo say every ten seconds?

A self-timer that repeats itself every so often. But not so fast as
to be close to a movie.

Maybe a time-lapse movie mode.

Ricoh Caplio R6. Shooting interval can be set from 5 secs to 3 hours in 5
sec increments.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old September 17th 07, 11:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:21:17 +0100, bugbear wrote:

dpreview has it as "Timelapse recording"
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

If you have a Canon camera with DIGIC II you're good.

http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHD...erval_Shooting

Ok, but the CHDK hack isn't needed with some cameras, including
Canon's S3 IS, which in addition to having DIGIC II which would
allow it to work with CHDK, also has a built-in intervalometer, so
CHDK isn't needed.

Old September 17th 07, 12:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Al, Cambridge, UK

On Sep 17, 10:51 am, Ron Hardin wrote:
Is there a camera out there that snaps a photo say every ten seconds?
:

Olympus SP320 (so presumably other Olympus SP models) can take
timelapse sequence, but interval is set 1-99 minutes so nothing as
fast as 10 seconds.

Looked like it might have been fun, but the only use I made of it was
to explore the battery-drain problem that eventually made me swap to a
different camera.

Al

Old September 17th 07, 02:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
F. Schmidt

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 04:21:06 -0700, "Al, Cambridge, UK"
wrote:

On Sep 17, 10:51 am, Ron Hardin wrote:
Is there a camera out there that snaps a photo say every ten seconds?
:

Olympus SP320 (so presumably other Olympus SP models) can take
timelapse sequence, but interval is set 1-99 minutes so nothing as
fast as 10 seconds.

Looked like it might have been fun, but the only use I made of it was
to explore the battery-drain problem that eventually made me swap to a
different camera.

Al

That's like the same crippling limits as on all of Canon cameras that support
this feature. On the S3 IS, for example, it can only be in 1-minute increments
up to 60-minute increments. That's nice but it still severely limits what
subjects it might be useful with. From what I understand the cameras can't even
change the exposure level during that time, using the first exposure setting for
all subsequent shots. What good is that when it comes to lengthy time-lapse
events? That huge gap between 0.4 second frame rate for its burst mode and 1
shot per minute for intervalometer mode fits a huge percentage of subjects. Many
weather events, many animals, and even some plants. Come to think of it most
everything that we perceive as moving slow to very slow would fit within that
time-lapse-recording gap. It's only those things where we can't easily detect
their motion at all that would be a good subject for Canon's or Olympus' idea of
an intervalometer. All these limits makes their implementation of time-lapse
almost useless. Don't any of these camera makers actually use their cameras? I
guess if it looks good in print that's all that matters to them. And I'm not
talking about printed photos. I strongly doubt that they have any kind of
photographers on their design and firmware programming teams. If they did they
wouldn't incessantly cripple their own cameras the way they do.
Old September 17th 07, 02:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

ASAAR wrote:
On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:21:17 +0100, bugbear wrote:

dpreview has it as "Timelapse recording"
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

If you have a Canon camera with DIGIC II you're good.

http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHD...erval_Shooting

Ok, but the CHDK hack isn't needed with some cameras, including
Canon's S3 IS, which in addition to having DIGIC II which would
allow it to work with CHDK, also has a built-in intervalometer, so
CHDK isn't needed.

....which I way I posted the feature name used
by dpreview in its feature database so that the OP, and anyone else interested
could find such cameras.

BugBear
Old September 17th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Ortt

wrote:

I strongly doubt that they have any kind of
photographers on their design and firmware programming teams. If they did
they
wouldn't incessantly cripple their own cameras the way they do.

I am sure they have lots of photographers at the design level.

They will suggest the upgrades they recommend for the next model and they
will produce a design specification.

The spec will then be passed through sales & marketing and finance before
being signed off.

What comes out will not be the same.... unfortunately

Old September 17th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:48:43 +0100, bugbear wrote:

If you have a Canon camera with DIGIC II you're good.

http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHD...erval_Shooting

Ok, but the CHDK hack isn't needed with some cameras, including
Canon's S3 IS, which in addition to having DIGIC II which would
allow it to work with CHDK, also has a built-in intervalometer, so
CHDK isn't needed.

...which I way I posted the feature name used
by dpreview in its feature database so that the OP, and anyone else
interested could find such cameras.

Yes and no. Some people may not understand what you meant by :

If you have a Canon camera with DIGIC II you're good.

and I didn't sufficiently clarify it either, since most Canon
camera with DIGIC II, AFAIK don't provide time-lapse shooting, so to
be "good" you'd still have to add the hack.

Old September 17th 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

ASAAR wrote:
On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:48:43 +0100, bugbear wrote:

If you have a Canon camera with DIGIC II you're good.

http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHD...erval_Shooting
Ok, but the CHDK hack isn't needed with some cameras, including
Canon's S3 IS, which in addition to having DIGIC II which would
allow it to work with CHDK, also has a built-in intervalometer, so
CHDK isn't needed.

...which I way I posted the feature name used
by dpreview in its feature database so that the OP, and anyone else
interested could find such cameras.

Yes and no. Some people may not understand what you meant by :

If you have a Canon camera with DIGIC II you're good.

and I didn't sufficiently clarify it either, since most Canon
camera with DIGIC II, AFAIK don't provide time-lapse shooting, so to
be "good" you'd still have to add the hack.

I think if anyone followed the two links
I provided would be adequately informed.

BugBear