large format darkroom

Old August 27th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
trebor

Default large format darkroom

In the process of making serious investments to outfit a large format
darkroom and would appreciate discussion regarding such. Is large format
going the way of digital? Am I spinning my wheels?

Old August 27th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

trebor wrote:
In the process of making serious investments to outfit a large format
darkroom and would appreciate discussion regarding such. Is large format
going the way of digital? Am I spinning my wheels?

If you expect to "go downtown" and buy a box of film, a box of paper
and a bunch of bottles of chemicals, then this would be a good time
to not get started.

If you don't mind ordering from one or two places that may or may not have
in stock what you want and waiting a few months for it, then this is a
wonderful time as a lot of people are giving up and selling off cheaply.

It depends upon how quickly you want things and how much you are willing to
invest in things you will use three to six months from now.

Some people are, some are not. Which are you?

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old August 27th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Greg \_\

In article 6567daa9f3de4@uwe, "trebor" u25827@uwe wrote:

In the process of making serious investments to outfit a large format
darkroom and would appreciate discussion regarding such. Is large format
going the way of digital? Am I spinning my wheels?

If you want something, there's really no tomorrow. Consider that a huge
amount of photographers try it (LF) and give up relatively quickly only
to sell all the LF gear. Once they figure out being AA or E Weston
requires commitment and work.
--
Reality-Is finding that perfect picture
and never looking back.

www.gregblankphoto.com
Old August 27th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

trebor spake thus:

In the process of making serious investments to outfit a large format
darkroom and would appreciate discussion regarding such. Is large format
going the way of digital?

Yes, but ever so slowly; it'll be years before digital gets to where LF
is today. And the cost is still prohibitive by comparison.

Am I spinning my wheels?

To paraphrase the Firesign Theater, it's metaphysically impossible to
answer that question.

Seriously, though: the main problem with LF currently is not equipment
(which is getting cheaper and cheaper, at least on the used market), but
the materials (film & paper), which are getting harder to find. Still
available, though.

--
In order to embark on a new course, the only one that will
solve the problem: negotiations and peace with the Palestinians,

Because it's only with enemies that one makes peace.

- Uri Avnery, Israeli writer and peace activist with Gush Shalom.
(http://counterpunch.org/avnery08032006.html)
Old August 28th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"trebor" u25827@uwe wrote in message news:6567daa9f3de4@uwe...
In the process of making serious investments to outfit a large format
darkroom and would appreciate discussion regarding such. Is large format
going the way of digital? Am I spinning my wheels?

Your investment will be so very tiny compared to what it would have been
only ten years ago - five pennies on the dollar for hardware. Oh, and
darkness is still free.

Old August 28th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Sam Reeves

trebor wrote:
In the process of making serious investments to outfit a large format
darkroom and would appreciate discussion regarding such. Is large format
going the way of digital? Am I spinning my wheels?

Not at all. As it has been mentioned, cost and quality wise large
format still wins. I'm still waiting for my "affordable" digital back
for my field camera!

If you're doing this for the commercial aspect of photography, then
you'd probably want to have a digital setup.

Being a large format darkroom person, I can say there's still some nice
film and papers out there. I say give it a go.

Sam Reeves
--
Sam Reeves Photography
Pacific Grove, California

Old August 28th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Lloyd Erlick

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 18:06:01 GMT, "trebor"
u25827@uwe wrote:

....Am I spinning my wheels?...

August 28, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

If you make judgments about your own life
according to the behaviour of others, then
maybe you're spinning your wheels.

If you like something and plan to continue
doing it even though others are stopping
(perhaps because they do not like it the way
you do ...) then maybe your wheels have good
traction.

It seems doubtful film will go out of
production entirely. Artists' oils are still
made even though acrylics dominate the
market; film will become an expensive
artist's material made by a few small niche
suppliers.

And the darkroom gear seems to be dropping to
very attractive prices lately... for buyers,
at least.

regards,
--le
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
website: www.heylloyd.com
telephone: 416-686-0326
email:
________________________________

Old August 29th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Nicholas O. Lindan

"trebor" u25827@uwe wrote

In the process of making serious investments to outfit a large format
darkroom and would appreciate discussion regarding such.

To give any sort of meaningful answer I think we need to know
what are you planning to do and why you are planning to
do it.

Hobby or work? Need or desire?

I do it because I like making images with my hands -- getting
involved in more than pushing a button and letting an ink-jet
do all the work. Some take up watercolors, I took up
photography; it was not a reasoned, practical decision.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Darkroom Automation

Old August 29th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Greg \_\

In article et,
"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote:

I took up photography; it was not a reasoned, practical decision.

Otherwise you might have been a Proctologist ;-)

Old August 29th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
oldford

trebor wrote:

In the process of making serious investments to outfit a large format
darkroom and would appreciate discussion regarding such. Is large format
going the way of digital? Am I spinning my wheels?

If you are near south carolina i will give you what i have