New Panasonic Lumix FZ18

Old July 26th 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
[email protected]

Default New Panasonic Lumix FZ18

A new Panasonic digital camera just came out. It has an 18x optical
zoom, similar to Olympus SP-550UZ. I wonder how do they prize it in
comparison to the smaller FZ8 and the larger FZ50? Will FZ8 be slowly
pull out, or is this camera a new series?
I can't help wondering whether there will be a more close association
between Matsu****a (creator of Panasonic) and Olympus. Panasonic has
LC-1 DSLR and Olympus has E-volt 330, which looks similar and share
the four third lens system (Leica lens for Panasonic and Zuikor lens
for Olympus). Is FZ18 and SP550UZ a competition, or do they end up as
a partner?
Is pushing optical zoom 18x a little too far, e specially using a
small P&S sensor size? FZ8 is 7 MP, FZ50 is 10MP and FZ18 will be 8
MP. I am looking forward to hear some news about this camera as it
goes into the market. I also wonder if Panasonic will enter an entry
level DSLR soon.

Old July 26th 07, 05:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
Paul Furman

wrote:

Is pushing optical zoom 18x a little too far

Yes.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://www.edgehill.net/1
Old July 26th 07, 10:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
Michael J Davis

Paul Furman observed
wrote:

Is pushing optical zoom 18x a little too far

Yes.

I've only read the PR, but the difficult bit (cf the FZ8) is at the 28mm
equiv. end - the long end is not a lot different from the excellent lens
on the FZ5 that I have. The real problem (without seeing any
reviews[1]) is likely to be a further increase in the pixel count,
although RAW will give a work around.

[1] And the reviews are not very helpful in general, as they
tend to use factory settings. On my FZ5 & FZ50 I have always
used minimum interference from the Venus II & III engines and
done sharpening, and noise adjustments on the computer.

Mike
Michael J Davis

Some newsgroup contributors appear to have confused
the meaning of "discussion" with "digression".

Old July 26th 07, 10:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
Tony Polson

wrote:

A new Panasonic digital camera just came out. It has an 18x optical
zoom, similar to Olympus SP-550UZ. I wonder how do they prize it in
comparison to the smaller FZ8 and the larger FZ50? Will FZ8 be slowly
pull out, or is this camera a new series?
I can't help wondering whether there will be a more close association
between Matsu****a (creator of Panasonic) and Olympus. Panasonic has
LC-1 DSLR and Olympus has E-volt 330, which looks similar and share
the four third lens system (Leica lens for Panasonic and Zuikor lens
for Olympus). Is FZ18 and SP550UZ a competition, or do they end up as
a partner?

All current Olympus Four Thirds DSLRs use Panasonic sensors. The
Panasonic LC-1, Leica Digilux 3 and Olympus E-330 all use the same
Panasonic 7.5 MP sensor and Olympus viewfinder.

Is pushing optical zoom 18x a little too far, e specially using a
small P&S sensor size?

Oh yes it is!

I also wonder if Panasonic will enter an entry
level DSLR soon.

The Panasonic DMC LC-1 is an entry level DSLR camera, but with a very
expensive price tag of £999. You can pay another £800 for the Leica
version which is virtually identical at a whopping £1799 !!!

The Olympus E-330 is now discontinued, but is probably still available
at rather less than half the price of the Panasonic DSLR. Of course
the Panasonic has the excellent Leica zoom lens with built-in
anti-shake, as does the ridiculously expensive Leica Digilux 3.

Old July 26th 07, 02:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
Stan Beck

I have the DMC FZ10 - 5 mp - (besides my D200) and it delivers good photos.
I would be less concerned with the 18x zoom than the size of the sensor. I
think 6 or 7 mp is plenty - 8mp, and certainly 10 mp, on a chip that size
will produce a lot of noise.

As for the lens - you will probably have pincushion/barrel distortion, but
that is usually at both ends of the zoom range.

--
The smaller the fine print, the less you will like what it says.

Stan Beck From New Orleans to Brandon MS
To reply, remove 101 from address.
***

ups.com...

Old July 26th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

[removed cross-posting]

On Jul 25, 7:59 pm, wrote:
A new Panasonic digital camera just came out. It has an 18x optical
zoom

The FZ8 has 12x optical zoom at 7 MP, and 18x optical zoom at 3 MP.
The 18x zoom appears very good and the photos I've taken are great at
18x.

--
me

Old July 29th 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

BaumBadier wrote:

heavily edited, for brevity

People today so often want to blame the camera. They don't realize they are
holding a technological wonder, with a zoom-range far beyond what many of us had
just 15 or 20 years ago. They expect it to perform like a snap-shot camera
because they've been made as user-friendly as an old Instamatic. Realize that
these new cameras are not only pushing the limits of technology but also the
limits of the photographer's own human abilities. Putting lens focal-lengths at
your easy disposal that no photographer in his right mind would have tried to
hand-hold just a few years ago. When we grabbed a 200mm or 400mm lens to put on
our cameras we also grabbed the tripod, as a standard rule of action. If new
photographers today stop to realize this then they'll stop blaming the
performance of the camera and learn to look more at their own limitations.
Improve your own techniques and the camera will happily compensate for anything
that you can't improve on your own.

edited

Hello, BaumBadier:

You make a lot of sense, man! P&S digicams - even highly advanced ones -
are so often taken for granted, despite their proven capabilities and
obvious advantages.

Cordially,
John Turco
Old July 29th 07, 09:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

John Turco wrote:
BaumBadier wrote:

[...]

Talking about large lenses...
I recently visited a nearby animal reserve (Fossil Rim, Glen Rose, Tx.),
and the car going through in front of me stopped by the Cheetah
enclosure, and poked a lens through the open window, and rested it on
the bottom of the window to take a picture. I would estimate the size
of the objective lens at 6", and the length of the lens to be about 12
inches. The Cheetah was only about 30 feet from the camera. Now I
would LOVE to see the picture he got. As we followed this car through
the rest of the drive, I got other glimpses of that lens, and two or
three others they had as they took pictures. It was obvious that they
were either professionals, or amateurs with MUCH money.