Help buying digital camera

Old November 26th 05, 04:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Help buying digital camera

Hi,

I am looking at buying a digital camera with at least 6 megapixels and a 10X
optical zoom. I have looked at lots of models, but every one has upsides
and downsides. Can anyone recommend a good quality camera(s) that takes
clear images, decent in low light, and reasonably intuitive for a beginner
photographer (me)? I know there is no perfect camera, but would you please
suggest some good alternatives from which I could choose? I do not need a
traditional SLR, and want to keep the cost under $700.00.

Thanks in advance,

Best,

Steve

Old November 26th 05, 10:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Steve Birkholz wrote:
Hi,

I am looking at buying a digital camera with at least 6 megapixels
and a 10X optical zoom. I have looked at lots of models, but every
one has upsides and downsides. Can anyone recommend a good quality
camera(s) that takes clear images, decent in low light, and
reasonably intuitive for a beginner photographer (me)? I know there
is no perfect camera, but would you please suggest some good
alternatives from which I could choose? I do not need a traditional
SLR, and want to keep the cost under $700.00.
Thanks in advance,

Best,

Steve

Personally, I would recommend the Panasonic FZ5. With such a large zoom
range you need image stabilisation to make the most use of the tele end.
For low light, you may need a DSLR (depends on your definition of "low
light"), but again the image stabilisation will help you here. I think
you will find it hard to see any difference between the Panasonic's 5MP
and the 6MP you have suggested. The Panasonic is so light (about 350g)
that you can easily take it anywhere. If you want a bigger model, look at
the Panasonic FZ20. Both the FZ5 and the FZ20 have a Leica 36 - 432mm
zoom lens (12X optical).

David

Old November 26th 05, 02:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Personally, I would recommend the Panasonic FZ5. With such a large zoom
range you need image stabilisation to make the most use of the tele end.
For low light, you may need a DSLR (depends on your definition of "low
light"), but again the image stabilisation will help you here. I think
you will find it hard to see any difference between the Panasonic's 5MP
and the 6MP you have suggested. The Panasonic is so light (about 350g)
that you can easily take it anywhere. If you want a bigger model, look at
the Panasonic FZ20. Both the FZ5 and the FZ20 have a Leica 36 - 432mm
zoom lens (12X optical).

I have an FZ5 and like it.

Old November 26th 05, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 04:23:15 GMT, "Steve Birkholz"
wrote:

Hi,

I am looking at buying a digital camera with at least 6 megapixels and a 10X
optical zoom. I have looked at lots of models, but every one has upsides
and downsides. Can anyone recommend a good quality camera(s) that takes
clear images, decent in low light, and reasonably intuitive for a beginner
photographer (me)? I know there is no perfect camera, but would you please
suggest some good alternatives from which I could choose? I do not need a
traditional SLR, and want to keep the cost under $700.00.

Thanks in advance,

Best,

Steve

You're requirement for 10x zoom and good low light performance are at
odds with each other. Most of the cameras capable of this are DSLRs
with very expensive zoom lenses. There are always trade-offs. The
Panasonics cited have high noise levels when used with high ISOs which
means difficulty in low light unless you are taking pictures of static
objects. Cameras good in low light (low noise) like the Fuji F10 do
not have long zooms. DSLRs with 10:1 zooms can be relatively
inexpensive ($1200) for (for eg) a Canon Rebel XT and a Sigma
18-200mm zoom lens, but it's out of your budget and the inexpensive
zooms maximum aperture "makes" them as slow as a non-DSLR, even with
their high ISO capability.
IMO, you're best best would be a Nikon D50 DSLR (good low light
performance) and more modest zoom lens, like the kit 18-55mm. But you
wil have to spend more. If you can't swing the extra money, the
Panasonic is as good as any other choice.
What you need to do is go on dpreview.com and look for cameras with
1. 10x zooms
2. Fast apertures. You are more likely to find them with 5
megapixels than 8.
-Rich