Why can't you plug a digicam into the wall to charge the batteries?

Old October 25th 04, 07:05 AM

Default Why can't you plug a digicam into the wall to charge the batteries?

You don't need a separate charger to charge a cellphone battery. You just
attach an AC adapter to the phone and plug it into the wall.

So why can't you do that for digital cameras?

Old October 25th 04, 07:25 AM
Christopher Pollard

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 03:17:20 -0300, chidalgo wrote:

So why can't you do that for digital cameras?

Don't get your point.

I think the OP's point is more like "why can't you charge digicam betteries
while they are still in the camera?". Like you do with a cellphone. Instead of
having to take them out and put them in a charger.

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net
Old October 25th 04, 07:33 AM
Matt Ion

Christopher Pollard wrote:
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 03:17:20 -0300, chidalgo wrote:

So why can't you do that for digital cameras?

Don't get your point.

I think the OP's point is more like "why can't you charge digicam betteries
while they are still in the camera?". Like you do with a cellphone. Instead of
having to take them out and put them in a charger.

Some you can.

My dad's Kodak camera will take two AAs. It will also take a
rechargeable pack that charges when the camera is on its optional dock
(the pack is included with the dock).

There are numerous variations on the theme...

Old October 25th 04, 07:50 AM
chidalgo

Christopher Pollard escribio:

I think the OP's point is more like "why can't you charge digicam betteries
while they are still in the camera?". Like you do with a cellphone. Instead of
having to take them out and put them in a charger.

One possible explanation is that some consumer digicams, they use
normal AA's batteries, and you already have the charger (using the
batteries for some others things, like a remote, a portable radio,
flashlights, whatever), so the photo companies design the digicam as
digicams and not as chargers In the case of cellphones, usually the
battery is particular to a cellphone model, and you usually don't use
the cellphone battery for others uses (or do you? ;-) ).

In the case of pro-digicams, i need at least 2 or more packs of
batteries ready to use, and at the same time need the camera in my hand
to shoot. I can't afford to use the digicam as a charger, so i really
need a external charger.

That's my theory. Take it or dump it

--
chidalgo
Old October 25th 04, 07:53 AM
T-Rex

The size matters. Nobody wants to carry a camera with a built-in AC-DC
transformer/adaptor.

"Matt Ion" wrote in message
wrote:
You don't need a separate charger to charge a cellphone battery. You
just
attach an AC adapter to the phone and plug it into the wall.

In some cases...

So why can't you do that for digital cameras?

Some can. All depends on the design.