Graphic View I

Old April 18th 07, 01:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
darkroommike

Default Graphic View I

I just picked up a Graphic View I (base tilts) and fell in
love with its Art Deco Look. Camera seems to be in fairly
good shape, at least not bad for 60 years old(!), bellows
good but it needs a few parts to complete and a few minor
repairs. So I have a few questions:

Has someone seen the Graphic View repair CD offered on that
auction site, is it worth the money or just a bad scan of a
photocopy of a Mimeographed manual made in the 40's (you
know what I mean)?

Can someone suggest a few sources of parts, I need the front
lens board retaining clip, and some parts for the focus
drive on one of the standards. Oh and a couple of un-drilled
metal lens boards (I know I can make the boards from plywood
but want to stay original).
--
darkroommike
Old April 19th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

"darkroommike" wrote in message
I just picked up a Graphic View I (base tilts) and fell in
love with its Art Deco Look. Camera seems to be in fairly
good shape, at least not bad for 60 years old(!), bellows
good but it needs a few parts to complete and a few minor
repairs. So I have a few questions:

Has someone seen the Graphic View repair CD offered on
that auction site, is it worth the money or just a bad
scan of a photocopy of a Mimeographed manual made in the
40's (you know what I mean)?

Can someone suggest a few sources of parts, I need the
front lens board retaining clip, and some parts for the
focus drive on one of the standards. Oh and a couple of
un-drilled metal lens boards (I know I can make the boards
from plywood but want to stay original).
--
darkroommike

You might try John Craig for instruction books,
http://www.craigcamera.com
The Graphic View was the first model of the camera. The
Graphic View II has a different arrangement for swings and
tilts and I think has some other differences. There is some
information on the Graflex site at http://www.graflex.org
Be careful to enter .org because there is also a .com site
which has nothing to do with the Graflex organization.
Graflex View lensboards are similar to those used on 4x5
Anniversary Speed Graphic cameras except they are of metal
rather than wood. If you have access to metal working
equipment they are not hard to make but wood ones will do
quite well. I would not worry about authenticity too much.
Graflex began to make bellows of synthetic materials
sometime around the late 1930s and unless they are serously
abused they are generally light tight. The Graphic View is
recent enough so that all of them should have synthetic
bellows. If the bellows do need replacement its just
possible some originals may be available but there are two
or three companies who can make new bellows.
I have no idea about sources of parts but the Graflex
site has some discussion groups on it and you might find
help there. Also try Fred Lustig, I don't even know if he is
still alive but he has the stock of parts from the Graflex
Western Division and is an expert on the cameras. The
problem is he will want the whole camera and is reluctant to
sell parts. He never had a web site or e-mail. At least
worth a try. Make sure you get parts for the original model,
there are a lot of differences between the first and second
versions.

Fred Lustig
4790 Caughlin Pkwy
Reno, NV
89509
1 775 746 0111
Graflex Parts and Service

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old April 19th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Nicholas O. Lindan

"darkroommike" wrote

I just picked up a Graphic View I (base tilts) and fell in love with its
Art Deco Look.

I had one when a student, and I agree about the looks --
a very pretty camera, as is the View II. I think they
were the only really good looking cameras Graflex made.
Graflex must have gone outside the company for the design.

it needs a few parts to complete and a few minor repairs. So I have a few
questions:

Can someone suggest a few sources of parts,

I see Richard has already pointed you to Graflex.org
and Lustig.

I need the front lens board retaining clip, and some parts for the focus
drive on one of the standards.

My View I, in its previous existence, originally
belonged to the Cleveland Police department. It
was _really_ worn out and the bushings and gears for
the standard-to-rail adjustment assys were shot. I had
a machinist look at making new parts but the cost
wasn't worth it.

Oh and a couple of un-drilled metal lens boards (I know I can make the
boards from plywood but want to stay original).

I made boards by laminating chip-board from the back
of legal pads to the right thickness. Died them black
with Kiwi sole edge-dressing and soaked them in thinned
Waterlox to waterproof them. I have seen lots of people
with Masonite boards. A Graphic View with an original
board may be a fashion faux pas.

I know that isn't the answer you are looking for,
but in case you can't find OE boards...

My biggest gripe was the inability to use a WA lens.
A 90mm Angulon would just fit in the recessed lens
board and focus at infinity but the bellows were
compressed tight and movements were impossible
(which, since and Angulon doesn't have any extra
coverage to allow for movements, wasn't that big a deal).

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/index.htm

Old April 19th 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
darkroommike

Thanks Richard, I had heard something about a guy that had
bought out a stock of Graphic parts but it's good to know a
little more.

Yeah, the I has base tilts and the II has on-axis tilts and
a slightly longer rail, I'm still hoping for at least one
original lensboard since this is as much a showpiece for me
as a working camera.

Info like this is why I love this board.
darkroommike

Reno, NV
89509
1 775 746 0111
Graflex Parts and Service

Old April 19th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
darkroommike

I get it, like the much battered Nikon F that a "real" press
photographer uses, a Graphic View needs a home-brew
lensboard. OK, I still want one original for looks but
talked to my local model railroad dealer yesterday and he
has all kinds of basswood and plywood in ready-cut 4 inch
wide sheets I figure I can produce several boards for just a
few bucks.

Also I think the Crown Graphic View is also very pretty just
darn rare, only made a couple of yeas and discontinued when
the metal Graphic View I was introduced.

And the Pacemaker Graphic is attractive in a form follows
function industrial design way, no great beauty but pretty
ergonomic for a camera designed decades before the concept
became a big ballyhoo.

I have a link to a guy that "butchered" a Graphic View to
make a real wide angle camera, if my CAS (Camera Acquisition
Syndrome) keeps kicking in I'll have enough parts before I'm
finished to build a Wide Angle Camera but I want mine to
have RED bellows.

http://bigcamera.com/articles/GraphicViewStubby.htm

CAS is similar to NAS which is the disease that the Nikon MF
group on Yahoo talks about all the time, so CAS is not
original just very descriptive of my affliction. Before
eBay I only got the opportunity to buy stuff at camera shows
now it gets me everyday, probably why I haven't any money to
fix up what I already have!

darkroommike

"darkroommike" wrote

Old April 19th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Jim

On Apr 18, 8:39 pm, "Richard Knoppow" wrote:
"darkroommike" wrote in message

I just picked up a Graphic View I (base tilts) and fell in
love with its Art Deco Look. Camera seems to be in fairly
good shape, at least not bad for 60 years old(!), bellows
good but it needs a few parts to complete and a few minor
repairs. So I have a few questions:

Has someone seen the Graphic View repair CD offered on
that auction site, is it worth the money or just a bad
scan of a photocopy of a Mimeographed manual made in the
40's (you know what I mean)?

Can someone suggest a few sources of parts, I need the
front lens board retaining clip, and some parts for the
focus drive on one of the standards. Oh and a couple of
un-drilled metal lens boards (I know I can make the boards
from plywood but want to stay original).
--
darkroommike

Look for a lens board from a Burke & Jame (B&J) Orbit view camera or
any of the identical cameras sold under the Kodak or Calumet names
(they all have a rotating back and round center-rail).
They use a lenboard which is the same as the graphic view I & II. A
common stock item in the 40's!

Jim Simmons

Old April 20th 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
darkroommike

Already tried that! The Kodak/Calumet/Orbit will take
Graphic View boards but the reverse just won't fit without
modifying the boards.

I also have a lens mounted on a Pacemaker board and could
use an adapter.
darkroommike

Old April 22nd 07, 10:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

"Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 18, 8:39 pm, "Richard Knoppow"
wrote:
"darkroommike" wrote in
message

[...]

The difference is that the Graphic View lens boards were
made of metal and painted to match the camera. The 4x4 inch
boards from B&J press and view cameras and from the
Anniversary series 4x5 Speed Graphic are the same size but
are wood and painted black
The Calumet CC-400 series cameras, AKA, Kodak 4x5 Master
View and B&J Orbit, will accept the same lens board but the
original boards are flat metal with a ridge around the edge.
These will not fit into a Speed Graphic because there is no
taper at the bottom so it won't clear the fixed bottom
strip. I can't remember if the Graphic View has a movable
bottom strip, if so it should take the Calumet type board
too.

In any case, Midwest Camera http://www.mpex.com/ is
still in business and may have what Darkroom Mike is looking
for. Its worth a phone call because it may not be on their
web site. AFAIK, there was no difference in the boards for
the Graphic View and Graphic View II.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old April 23rd 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
darkroommike

It doesn't I have a convertible symmar on a Calumet board, I
think it would work if I filed a taper on the front of the
bottom edge of the board but it's an original bored for
Compur/Copal one so I'll keep looking for now.

darkroommike

Richard Knoppow wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...