IrfanView rename facility - snag

Old December 18th 04, 06:45 PM
Terry Pinnell

Default IrfanView rename facility - snag

I am just getting into using the potentially very useful rename
facility in IrfanView. But I quickly encountered a serious snag. My
main use would be to rename photos so that the name includes the EXIF
Date and Time taken. For example, using ##-E306 to enter the EXIF
'entity' DateTime. But IrfanView rejects this, giving errors like
"Can't rename file!: D:\Docs\My
Pictures\DigiCam\Walks\TP04\01-2004:08:17 10:32"

Presumably this is because the date contains the invalid character
':'?

If so, that's an unfortunate loss of an otherwise excellent feature
;-(

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Old December 18th 04, 06:49 PM
Terry Pinnell

Terry Pinnell wrote:

I am just getting into using the potentially very useful rename
facility in IrfanView. But I quickly encountered a serious snag. My
main use would be to rename photos so that the name includes the EXIF
Date and Time taken. For example, using ##-E306 to enter the EXIF
'entity' DateTime. But IrfanView rejects this, giving errors like
"Can't rename file!: D:\Docs\My
Pictures\DigiCam\Walks\TP04\01-2004:08:17 10:32"

Presumably this is because the date contains the invalid character
':'?

If so, that's an unfortunate loss of an otherwise excellent feature
;-(

Happy to report that minutes later I sorted it! If you use the
'Replace text' entries, you can change the colon for something
acceptable, such as '-'.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Old December 18th 04, 07:47 PM

Hi Terry

I personally dun think that IfranView is the best tool for batch
renaming of photos. Take a look at ACDSee instead.

Best Regards
Gary Hendricks
www.basic-digital-photography,com

Terry Pinnell wrote:
I am just getting into using the potentially very useful rename
facility in IrfanView. But I quickly encountered a serious snag. My
main use would be to rename photos so that the name includes the EXIF
Date and Time taken. For example, using ##-E306 to enter the EXIF

Old December 19th 04, 01:10 AM
Dave Cohen

Also take a look at renamer (renamemaster.exe), it does a good job and is
free.
Dave Cohen
oups.com...

Terry Pinnell wrote:
I am just getting into using the potentially very useful rename
facility in IrfanView. But I quickly encountered a serious snag. My
main use would be to rename photos so that the name includes the EXIF
Date and Time taken. For example, using ##-E306 to enter the EXIF

Old December 19th 04, 10:52 AM
Terry Pinnell

"Dave Cohen" wrote:

Also take a look at renamer (renamemaster.exe), it does a good job and is
free.

Thanks both, I'll try those too. My *ideal* renamer would let me
select a set of files in Explore or My Computer, bring up a dialog
from the right-click menu, and then specify my changes. These could
include adding or removing common text like DSC000, adding common
prefixes, suffixes, and inserting key EXIF fields like Date and Time
Taken etc.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Old December 19th 04, 11:02 PM
Ralph

I use the Fuji Finepix viewer to rename files.

--
remove n u m b e r s to reply
Terry Pinnell wrote in message
I am just getting into using the potentially very useful rename
facility in IrfanView. But I quickly encountered a serious snag. My
main use would be to rename photos so that the name includes the EXIF
Date and Time taken. For example, using ##-E306 to enter the EXIF

Old December 21st 04, 10:37 AM
Bigguy

I like free CKRename http://www.musicsucks.com/CKSoft/CKRename/index.htm
for batch renaming...
Guy

Terry Pinnell wrote:
I am just getting into using the potentially very useful rename
facility in IrfanView. But I quickly encountered a serious snag. My
main use would be to rename photos so that the name includes the EXIF
Date and Time taken. For example, using ##-E306 to enter the EXIF

Old December 21st 04, 01:38 PM
Terry Pinnell

"Bigguy" wrote:

I like free CKRename http://www.musicsucks.com/CKSoft/CKRename/index.htm
for batch renaming...
Guy

Are you sure about that link please? I get the familiar "The page
cannot be displayed".

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK